Getting over the Severn Bridge

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
The Gazman

Getting over the Severn Bridge

Post by The Gazman »

I want to go across from Bristol into South Wales and someone from Sustrans told me it is possible to go over the old Severn Bridge but can anyone on here tell me exactly which route I will need to take from Bristol to cross it?

That's all, thanks!
robgul

Post by robgul »

If you get to the village of Aust and then head towards the river, crossing the A403, there is a National Cycle Network signed route up a ramp and onto the south side of the bridge where there is a segregated path.

On the Welsh side it crosses under the Motorway and towards Chepstow

No toll to pay :wink:

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi, I did it last July on my LEJOG and Back ride. Please see:
www.lejogandback.blogspot.com

The route I took was along the A4 northwest out of the city towards Cribbs Causway, and through Pilning and then to Aust. There are motorway services there. I couldn't find the entrance to the service road, and had to ask at the services.

It's there alright, but not well signed. As you get onto the bridge, it awe-inspiring and massive!

The Welsh end exits onto a roundabout with fast traffic. I had no problem, and there's no toll charge!
Mick F. Cornwall
Basil W Bloke

Post by Basil W Bloke »

I've done this crossing.
When you're on the bike you don't realise how much the bridge is moving. If there's any wind, you should stop half way adross and get off the bike. It's a weird feeling.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Last time I crossed the bridge (about 8 months ago) the signs had the cycle track on the upstream (north) side of the bridge, starting from where the access road to the old service area joins the roundabout. The south side was signposted for pedestrians. I've approached on the B4461 from Elberton, starting Gloucester.

The cycle track continues up the NE side of the A466 as far as the A48 roundabout. This is less busy than the motorway junction roundabout. Alternatively there are several points where it is possible to divert into the Bulwark estate on the NE side of the road.
The Gazman

Post by The Gazman »

Thank you all very much for your helpful replies. I'd planned my journey from Leicester to Bristol and from over the border to Swansea, but the Severn Bridge part of the ride was really troubling me, so it's a huge relief to have that sorted now, as I leave in less than 24 hours.

Thanks again!
wobblychainring

Post by wobblychainring »

I've cycled on both sides (north and south), it's good fun, bit hairy in the wind as it's pretty high up.

It is well worth a couple of stops as only those on foot or bike have this opportunity...

Watch out for glass in the tunnel at the Chepstow end, if you are using the southern lane.
davebax

Post by davebax »

Bristol CTC section use this bridge regularly, always on the north side. The south side is avoided because of the excessive and quite offensive amount of glass and other debris in and near the tunnel. The north is also the straighter and simpler route. From central Bristol, you will get on the A38 at some point. After the village of Almondsbury, turn left off the A38 and pass through Tockington and Olveston and bear left onto the B4461. Last Sunday was the windiest 2 crossings I’ve ever made – motor traffic was reduced to one lane each way and 40mph max. Pretty hairy, but no need to walk the bike!
vernon

Post by vernon »

The Gazman wrote:Thank you all very much for your helpful replies. I'd planned my journey from Leicester to Bristol and from over the border to Swansea, but the Severn Bridge part of the ride was really troubling me, so it's a huge relief to have that sorted now, as I leave in less than 24 hours.

Thanks again!

Enjoy the crossing. I've done it three times and have been across both sides of the bridge. One of the crossings involved riding over the top of the toll booths - weird.
Hummers

Post by Hummers »

Basil W Bloke wrote:I've done this crossing.
When you're on the bike you don't realise how much the bridge is moving. If there's any wind, you should stop half way adross and get off the bike. It's a weird feeling.

IIRC there are also some helpful concrete blocks that make riding the bridge with a wind running up the Severn very interesting.

H
Your Brewery Needs YOU!