Touring With Young Children

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dcmat

Touring With Young Children

Post by dcmat »

Although I have toured as a solo, in a small group and with my eldest on a tag-a-long, I have yet to venture out as a family. To rectify this we are looking at completing the London to Oxford Thames Valley route as a taster.

My problem, alas, lies with the issue of luggage transportation. I ride a Trek 7000 which is unable to carry panniers and has a tag-a-long on the back with a very enthusiastic 5 year old. My wife’s bike can carry panniers, but not when she has the child seat on the back with a very excited 1½ year old that loves the bikes and then falls asleep after 10 minutes. My 8 year old, and a hopeful entrant to the 2016 Olympics(!), is now on her own bike.

Does anyone have any suggestions and has anyone tried, and preferably succeeded, in attaching a trailer to a 20 inch tag-a-long wheel?

Many Thanks

Dc
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

I don't think a trailer behind a tag-a-long would work at all.
However, have you thought about fitting low-rider panniers to the front of your bikes?

We used to have a child seat and cycle-camped in Corsica using it (wild-camping). I carried our one-year old on the back and used front panniers for the main luggage.
Spreading the weight can also improve handling of the bike considerably.
stof

Post by stof »

The double articulation of a trailer behind a tag-along will be pretty dangerous as it will exagerate turns and potentially whip around (not that I've tried it mind...). From personal experience with trailers the most hazardous bit is stopping them, especially at speed, whilst going downhill. The weak-link of the tagalong, with the lighter weight of a child on it, will make this set up particularly prone to fishtailing.

What about swapping the child-seat for a kiddy trailer? Your 1 1/2 yr old will be asleep anyway if anything like my kids when touring, and you have quite a bit of extra space for luggage... You also have somewhere for the 5 year old if it is really raining or they're too tired to stay on the tagalong...
Cunobelin

"Unable" to carry panniers?

Post by Cunobelin »

Why is it "unable" to carry panniers - Is itthe weight on the frame, or a lack of fittings?

With a little planning a rack such as the TUBUS system have all the fittings to put on a bike. For instance the lower fitting can be made using the quick release and the upper via a purpose designed steel bracket. The same versatility applies to their front racks.

Not cheap, but quality, and easy to install, reliable and bombproof!
glueman

Post by glueman »

Generally speaking, you can get away with trailers better on long wheel based machines, tandems especially, as they're inherently more stable. The double articulation sounds like a thoroughly bad idea.
Kiddie trailers (not the Rann type, the sit down buggies) can be pressed into service as child haulers and for camping gear. Two larger children are very hard work indeed to tow.
Haven't had a close look at one but Tesco are doing them at about £75.
marcnicol

Post by marcnicol »

did this last week with two kids (2 & 5). We opted for 2 bike seats (one in front and one at the back) and a 2 seater trailer to give them as many options as possible. Our bikes were also not pannier friendly but were able to use a seatpost mounted rack on one bike (the other had a childseat on the back) to take a rack pack. The rest of the luggage went in the back and bottom of the trailer.

We chose not to take the tagalong as I thought 110 miles ( we added a bit) would be too much for the 5 year old. She is a the very limit of he childseat now so will have to come up with alternatives for the next ride.

Marc
stuey

Post by stuey »

Have a look at www.familyonabike.org for info on cycling with children. The link below shows a tandem with a tag a long then a trailer. It can be done!

http://www.familyonabike.org/stories/Cycle%20Toddling%20Picture/Familyonabike.html
chrisygee

Post by chrisygee »

My wife and I had the same problem a few years ago, and devised a cunning plan using a Pashley U+1. Unfortunately I sold it only last year. However, there's no reason why you couldn't do the same. The idea is simple - we bought a U+1, which is a trailerbike with 2 back wheels, making it remarkable stable. We then attached a childseat to the seatpost of the trailerbike. This meant we had a 5-year old cycling and a 1.5 year old sitting behind them in a childseat.

Not only does that free up your wife to carry the luggage, but there is also a luggage rack on the back of the U+1 which would take more weight - if your legs are strong enough to pull it. Bear in mind you will have a 5-year old to 'help' you.