CALMAC FERRIES GOUROCK TO DUNOON

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BARRACH

CALMAC FERRIES GOUROCK TO DUNOON

Post by BARRACH »

Caledonian MacBrayne no longer run a car ferry service from Gourock to Dunoon. The service is passenger only and takes bikes. However, as Western Ferries run a car ferry service from McInroys Point in Gourock to Hunters Quay Dunoon I would advise fully loaded bikes with panniers should travel with this service. Having seen the boats used by the passenger only service, docking at Dunoon pier, I would say anyone boarding or disembarking with fully loaded bikes would have a major hassle because of the design of the boats. Whereas on the Western Ferries service, bikes can easily be wheeled aboard a ferry designed for carrying cars, ie with plenty of room to manuvoure etc. The Western Ferry terminal is about a mile from the Cal Mac passenger terminal and is well signposted
boris

Re: CALMAC FERRIES GOUROCK TO DUNOON

Post by boris »

Has it changed this year then?
Last year I took a full size car ferry fom the eastern ferry quay in gourock.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

rualexander wrote:http://www.argyllferries.co.uk/default.aspx.locid-01xnew004.Lang-EN.htm

Brilliant. "All hail to our exciting new improved ferry service, which no longer accepts cars."
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

I think I'll go and have a wee nosey at the new ferry today....I reckon I'll be sticking with the western ferries anyway as its cheaper by far when tickets are bought from a local shop.
foxy12

Post by foxy12 »

I always use Western Ferries as well as it is cheaper.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Apologies for thread exhumation, but it seems a shame to create a new one to ask the same question (albeit a few years later).
I'm looking to travel from Gourock to Dunoon early next week with a bike, non folding, with some bags but not fully loaded.
I'll be travelling out from Glasgow on the train, so the Calmac ferry looks the most convenient. It isn't immediately obvious whether or not it (passenger only) takes bikes.
Can anyone confirm that it does, or if the western ferries option is preferable in any way?
Many thanks.
RobertMcC

Post by RobertMcC »

The ferry from Gourock pier is indeed passenger only but will take a bike no problems, just got to lift it on over the narrow gangway.
Western ferries is about 1.5m from the ferry but an easy run along front.

Due to covid restrictions Western ferries is cashless, not sure about Calmac but the ticket office is at the pier
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Thanks.
I'm using a few ferries at the start of next week, so will update if there are any odd rules and regs in place.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Pendodave wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 12:03pm Thanks.
I'm using a few ferries at the start of next week, so will update if there are any odd rules and regs in place.
If you are going to the Islands are you aware of
anyone planning travel to the islands can order a free home test kit online. The first test should be taken three days before travel and the second on the day of departure.
https://www.gov.scot/news/moving-to-level-3/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Paulatic wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 12:52pm
Pendodave wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 12:03pm Thanks.
If you are going to the Islands are you aware of
anyone planning travel to the islands can order a free home test kit online. The first test should be taken three days before travel and the second on the day of departure.
https://www.gov.scot/news/moving-to-level-3/
Thanks, I'll probably be going up through Bute (an Island, but I don't think it counts for this), but then only Kintyre and the lump West and North of Tarbert.
I might bung a test in the bag in case anyone thinks I look sickly...
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Just back from the (relatively) sunny shores of Argyll.
Sadly, the shocking connections between the Glasgow Central to Gourock trains and the Gourock-dunoon ferry meant that I ended up cycling down the road to the Western Ferries service instead. It takes about 10 minutes. The Ferry lands you slightly further up the road in Dunoon (at least in the direction I was heading).
The connections might improve later in the summer, as they are currently on a special timetable because of refits.
I have to say, poor connections between different modes of public transports are a real red mist thing for me. Most train/bus connections I've used over the years for backpacking have been dreadful.

By happy contrast, the ferry back from Rothsay to Wemyss Bay was pretty well connected to the trains, so a happy end to the trip.