Bar bag?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jmaccyd

Bar bag?

Postby jmaccyd » 4 Jul 2011, 8:00pm

Planning a three week tour with two back panniers and carrying tent and stove. I have done mini-touring and have not really needed a bar bag but have recognised that they would be handy for readly required stuff on tour. So, since I have Ortlieb panniers that look superbly made what one of their bar bags would be a good choice? Do I go for the bigger on the Ultimate 5 - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-ultimat ... e-bar-bag/

Or the smaller one the the Ultimate 2?

Tasker

Re: Bar bag?

Postby Tasker » 4 Jul 2011, 9:26pm

Tricky one this... Reminds me of the dilemma I have regarding cycling generally, like should I enter some local disco in my Hebden Bridge cycling breeches - (that's them with the so obvious double gusset).

I'd honestly advise, have a think about it. Decide it for yourself and then just set off on your tour - but do (honestly) let us know if such a consideration still seems of such importance when you return.

Mattie

Postby Mattie » 4 Jul 2011, 10:33pm

I have tried the smaller version Ortlieb, the 2.7 ltr, which worked fine. Had enough room for a small camera and a few bits and pieces - great.

For this next trip I have had to buy the larger Ultimate 5 (7 ltr) because I want to take a larger DSLR camera, that would not fit in the smaller version.

If it wasn't for the new DSLR I would still be using the smaller bar bag.

Hope this helps.

snibgo

Postby snibgo » 5 Jul 2011, 12:06am

When I was younger and more agile, everything went in the back. Now I don't hop on and off so easily so my bar bag carries clothing, camera, food, wallet, keys, maps and other junk. Mine is 8 litres, and I wouldn't want it smaller.

BeeKeeper

Postby BeeKeeper » 5 Jul 2011, 10:11am

I've got a Topeak 7l bag and it takes all I want to hand. Only problems with it are it is a bit wide and presses against the gear cables on STI shifters - which point inwards where they leave the brake levers. It also makes fitting a headlight a bit difficult. I have managed to squeeze a small light on the end of the handlebars so it peers round the bag but it is not ideal.

Ambler

Postby Ambler » 5 Jul 2011, 10:27am

So John, this is what you are up to now no longer in MBS.
Miss your posts on BKF as they were always helpful.

I would go for the bigger bag, after all you can half fill a bigger bag but not double fill a smaller one.

Peter, another beekeeper.

jmaccyd

Postby jmaccyd » 5 Jul 2011, 3:13pm

Ambler wrote:So John, this is what you are up to now no longer in MBS.
Miss your posts on BKF as they were always helpful.

I would go for the bigger bag, after all you can half fill a bigger bag but not double fill a smaller one.

Peter, another beekeeper.

Thanks for the advice - not me I'm afraid you are mixing me up with another chap, no doubt as dashingly good looking as myself!

Bigger bag just worried by the affect it will have on steering but would allow a better balance of weight as I will be using back panniers only. I have 'extenders' on my sti cables to allow the fitment of it. But, smaller bag will be useful too. Ho hum probably end up buying both!

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 5 Jul 2011, 4:56pm

RI have quite a big Karimore bar bag which I always take on tour. But with my smartphone it has cut down immensely on paraphanalia like cameras, radio, mp3 etc. So, I have just got a £17.99 3 litre Decathlon one. Under the lid it has a sort of wallet for cards and coins and a pocket for passport, phone etc. Then a roomy main compartment. Excellent quality. My advice is small is good when you are lugging it around off the bike.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 5 Jul 2011, 7:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

BeeKeeper

Postby BeeKeeper » 5 Jul 2011, 5:33pm

Peter,

At the risk of confusing the others still further I can at least say this forum is a lot gentler than the BK ones!

I guess the avatar and username gave it away - I have no imagination...

BeeKeeper

Postby BeeKeeper » 5 Jul 2011, 5:38pm

jmaccyd wrote: I have 'extenders' on my sti cables to allow the fitment of it.

Can you elaborate please? A quick Google does not throw up much. What are they and where did they come from?

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 5 Jul 2011, 8:55pm

Can I suggest a Carradice Super C bar bag. I have one and it fits nicely in between the STI cables and above the fork crown mounted IQ Cyo front lamp. Sorted.

BTW I think Jmacc is referring to putting a 90 degree V Brake noodle immediately after the lever to direct the cable down and away from the bar bag without unduly distorting the cables. I have also done this and it is very effective. One tip if you do this is to be careful with the length of the outer from the noodle to the down tube adjuster if you have additional guides near the head tube.. If it is left too long you risk a broken cable outer and, subsequently, a broken inner. Fortunately I spotted the damaged outer first.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

vsmith1

Postby vsmith1 » 11 Jul 2011, 2:38pm

I have a Ortleib Ultimate bag on my wife's bike and my own tourer. I would say that I don't like the way the lid shuts. I can understand the hinge/sealed end of the lid being front facing, but the press-studs and slightly flippy-floppy lid itself doesn't make it easy to shut when it is full. On day rides I just roll-up a water/wind-proof jacket . I also wonder how I might fit front-facing lights when we get towards autumn.

I've not used it much yet but just my points.

georgew

Postby georgew » 11 Jul 2011, 4:46pm

I have this one and can recommend it. It is compact but can store a good amount of kit yet it can be used with Shimano STIs due to its shape.

http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/index.php/bike ... mpact.html

Fred Ivory

Postby Fred Ivory » 17 Jul 2011, 8:20am

I agree with struggling, my Carradice Super "C" is fantastic had it for 8 years now, France, Spain, LEGOJ, its so good,
and simple locking device, click on click off, you just take it with you, when touring around your valuables are with you all
the time, recommed it, bit pricecy, but you will have it for life, o.k. Fred