Which cycle sat nav?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
skicat

Re: Which cycle sat nav?

Postby skicat » 13 Sep 2011, 8:43am

jags, I haven't read back through the whole thread so I'm not sure which Garmin you've bought. However, if it's a recent model, and it connects to a USB port, you need to install the Garmin USB drivers before it can be recognised. They should be on a CD that came with the GPS. Alternatively, you can download them here.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

johnb

Postby johnb » 13 Sep 2011, 10:39am

jags wrote:ok got the garmin now im totally confused :D
ok so when i connect to my computer it wont show that theres a new device connected ,
a friend did download some free maps for me but to be honest the original map were just as good .
so why wont it show a new device connected any clues.thanks.

Dont really understand what you mean, when your using maps on your computer or on your GPS there is no need for the device to be recognised, the only interaction between the two is when you are sending to or from the device to your PC.

If you have a Route plotted on your map on your PC connect your device to PC using the cable provided, look up at the middle of your taskbar and you will see two boxes with arrows above them the right one is for send to device, click on it and a new window will appear, on the new window click on the button labelled FIND DEVICE then on the little drop down window select your device and click the box that says ROUTE and press SEND and your route should then be sent from your PC to your Device.

I could be misunderstanding you, if I am post again and we can try again
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.

jags

Postby jags » 13 Sep 2011, 12:06pm

thanks lads , i have a friend coming down to me next week to give me lessons on how to use this thing :?
hopefully he will sort me out.
johnb that campsite you recommended up north from me( shepsrestpub ) what would be a good route from drogheda to take to it.
might take a trip up there if the weather improves.
thanks again
cheers
jags.

johnb

Postby johnb » 13 Sep 2011, 12:36pm

jags wrote:thanks lads , i have a friend coming down to me next week to give me lessons on how to use this thing :?
hopefully he will sort me out.
johnb that campsite you recommended up north from me( shepsrestpub ) what would be a good route from drogheda to take to it.
might take a trip up there if the weather improves.
thanks again
cheers
jags.

Will post a route later on here for you.

Jags, try this. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/712173

The route is not as long as it would appear, you can knock 10 miles of at Maghery on the shore of the Lough as instead of turning left you go straight ahead to the River Blackwater and there is a footbridge to go across the river.
Last edited by johnb on 13 Sep 2011, 7:04pm, edited 2 times in total.

jags

Postby jags » 13 Sep 2011, 12:39pm

excellent

destry

Postby destry » 15 Sep 2011, 2:47pm

boris wrote: So why the garmins and not an android phone?

Aside from the fact that they don't much like rain, or being bounced around on your handlebars for that matter, the problem with all the Android smartphones currently on the market is that they are equipped with very high resolution screens that absolutely hoover up battery power. Used as a navigation device, you'd be lucky to get three hours use out of one. I looked into this in some detail, because initially the smartphone solution seemed perfect. In the end I got a Satmap with full UK coverage included. It lasts all day and then some without a re-charge, and has made my cycling much, much more enjoyable. Admittedly I speak as someone who has no sense of direction and needs to consult a map very frequently to avoid getting hopelessly lost. I found that a real palaver with paper maps.

Mattie

Postby Mattie » 15 Sep 2011, 3:47pm

Quick question about the smartphone as a GPS option - do they work (navigate) if you keep them inside your handlebar bag ? or do they need to be out in the open with an uninterupted view of the sky ? I have just got back from a 2 month tour using an Etrex GPS, which was on all day every day (whilst cycling) and it lived in the top of the bar bag next to the camera. It picked up a signal perfectly well from its place inside the bar bag.

jags

Postby jags » 15 Sep 2011, 4:38pm

johnb thanks for that i often taught a tour of lough neagh would be great .
i could go by the newry canal to get to the lough and take your route from there. :wink:
well i tried out my new toy today great piece of kit and will be even greater when i finally find out how to use it properly :D

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 15 Sep 2011, 5:25pm

You can download the lap the loch route from there website

if want NI routes to Download there are a few I put on Bikely including the newry canal
http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/srchkey ... egion/5391
NUKe

johnb

Postby johnb » 15 Sep 2011, 8:29pm

jags wrote:johnb thanks for that i often taught a tour of lough neagh would be great .
i could go by the newry canal to get to the lough and take your route from there. :wink:
well i tried out my new toy today great piece of kit and will be even greater when i finally find out how to use it properly :D

Jags. As above there is a nice route around the Lough and if you started in pdown bt the Lough you could awake around the west side across the north shore and camp outside antrim where there is a lovely campsite on the edge of the shore and head home by the east and south shore

johnb

Postby johnb » 15 Sep 2011, 8:35pm

Moderators, is there any chance of someone setting up a GPS section, as there seems to be a lot of people using them on the forum and it would be easy for a lot of us to learn a lot more as there seems to be a few whizz kids amongst up judging by some of the posts scattered about the forum.
Thanks,

John

jags

Postby jags » 15 Sep 2011, 9:27pm

Nuke thats fantastic thanks,some great routes .
i cycles the newry canel several times but never went any further than portadown mind you it was always raining :D
john thanks again good idea getting a section up on sat nav users.

Reigncloud

Postby Reigncloud » 21 Sep 2011, 12:46pm

Mattie wrote:Quick question about the smartphone as a GPS option - do they work (navigate) if you keep them inside your handlebar bag ?

Yep, they still work fine - well mine does at least!