Vienna to Belgrade

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
urban_gibbon

Vienna to Belgrade

Post by urban_gibbon »

After completing most of the loire section of ev6 last year, I have decided to do a bit more. After a nightmare of booking my bike through to Vienna (too lazy to pack it up) I think I'll be up and pedalling by the end of the month. I aim to camp most of the time so have a quick question about fuel.

I have a primus stove. Am I likely to find new canisters, should I carry spares across euroope with me, or should I take the liquid fuel bottle with me and top it up when necessary?

Thanks
Barrenfluffit

Re: Vienna to Belgrade

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Not sure if this will help but;

I used the camping gaz CV270 type (Easyclick) cannisters. I managed to locate an address of an outdoor shop which sold them in Bratislava. When i got there I found they were in Tesco. Didn't really see any more of that type casually in Serbia, Bulgaria or Turkey. Gas was available but in much bigger bottles (of the caravanning / construction size). It could be that I was rubbish at finding the right shop but retail works differently there. Also camping is not popular in Serbia; e.g there's only a handful of campsites.

Primus make lots of different stoves.
urban_gibbon

Post by urban_gibbon »

Barrenfluffit wrote:
Primus make lots of different stoves.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I may have to take the fuel bottle, unlessI plan my overnights in cities such as noovisad or belgrade itself.

THe primus I have is the omnifuel by the way, sorry for not clarifyng that earlier.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Ok that makes sense. the main drawback of the fuel bottle approach is if your going to fly and the regs are particularly strict. The gas cannisters lasted really well and with the heat I wasn't so bothered about cooking. As you pass shops everyday provided you remember to buy stuff its not a problem. Borders are a bit trickier if your scrupulous; I'd suggest taking some biscuits or something as you tend not to have the right money going into serbia.
delport

Post by delport »

I have been to Serbia, life is very cheap there, not keen on the border posts in that part of eastern europe it's a bit unsettling.
Languages to speak, German and Serb, they use basic English in hotels.Many signs are in cyrillic so the train station displays a baffling load of characters.Such as
Hotels are very cheap, central Belgrade around £30, standard of room can be something from the 1980s, quite basic.

Infact most things i saw in Serbia were stuff you'd see in the 1980s, they don't have the money to spend, not being part of the Eu as yet, which makes it an ultra cheap place to go.
Last time i was there was 6 years ago, it may have moved on a bit.They desperately need to become part of the EU, like Poland, in my opinion to see a big transformation.
The roads in Central Belgrade are rough, and they still have the bombed out building, the Chinese embassy i think, in the centre of the city.
Though after looking for a picture of it, it seems they are going to bring it to the ground now.
That picture is the tidier angle, it looks worse from other directions.
bealer

Post by bealer »

Might see you out there. I'll be in Vienna until the 25th or so.
urban_gibbon

Post by urban_gibbon »

Thanks for all the info again. I get to Vienna on the morning of the 28th (overnight train from Milan via Innsbruck, - as the direct train doesn't allow bikes) planning to go straight to Bratislava for a cheap beer or two.

Getting back tor Grenoble (where I am based) by train is going to be interesting...
kuriousoranj

Post by kuriousoranj »

There's a lovely campsite just outside Gyor in Hungary, it's called city camping I think? It's basically someones back garden but it's got cherry trees and sun loungers and is very secluded. It was about £7. Good luck leaving Komarom, the route takes you on what I believe to be the main trucking route!
delport

Post by delport »

urban_gibbon wrote:Thanks for all the info again. I get to Vienna on the morning of the 28th (overnight train from Milan via Innsbruck, - as the direct train doesn't allow bikes) planning to go straight to Bratislava for a cheap beer or two.

Getting back tor Grenoble (where I am based) by train is going to be interesting...

Vienna-Bratislava trains run regular, it is only a 1 hour trip less than 50 miles, you may need your passport out for that section of the trip.The passport inspectors don't stop the train though, they just walk through it.
It may have changed in 7 years, but that is my experience of using the vienna train to Bratislava.

Bratislava is fairly cheap, even for a meal in the restuarant, Vienna is expensive, including hotel prices , which are very high.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

We paid E30 each per night for a hostel accommodation in Vienna including great Buffet breakfast in May this year. Huge rooms in an apartment, within walking distance of the centre.