Cornwall

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
xxmimixx

Cornwall

Post by xxmimixx »

Hi
Ill be going to Cornwall with the family and want to take our bikes to explore the area. We are staying near Hewas Water. I understand that Cornwall can be quite hilly but any suggestion, help with local area would be very much apprecciated.

Many thanks
Mimi
kernow montpelier

Re: Cornwall

Post by kernow montpelier »

Hi,
It is fairly hilly but worth it! If you just stick to small roads you can't go wrong really.

I think this (these) are fairly close to Hewas Water: http://www.claytrails.co.uk/index.html You get a reduced entry to Eden if you go by bike - which these can take you to.

More flatter - and no or limited traffic routes at : http://www.chycor.co.uk/holidays/cycling-in-cornwall/

Have a good time.
delport

Post by delport »

kernow montpelier wrote:Hi,
It is fairly hilly but worth it! If you just stick to small roads you can't go wrong really.

I

Do you recognise this area at all?
The signpost is next to a bridge, if i remember rightly there is a massive climb a bit after that signpost, i couldn't believe the angle of the climb.
According to google it is caled Newbridge hill it then continues to the next steep part Sand hill.Gunnislake
on the A390.
That was one part that really stood out for me in Cornwall.

I find Cornwall a great place, far too hilly though.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The Camel trail is very nice running along the estuary to Padstow. Being an ex-railway, it's pancake flat:

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=13412
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
xxmimixx

Post by xxmimixx »

thank you all very much! :) keep em coming
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

A bit more out of your way but a nice ride is the Bissoe trail, a ride of about 14 miles from Devoran near Truro to Portreath on the north coast. http://www.chycor.co.uk/holidays/cyclin ... _coast.htm
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

delport wrote:Do you recognise this area at all?
The signpost is next to a bridge, if i remember rightly there is a massive climb a bit after that signpost, i couldn't believe the angle of the climb.
No more than half a mile from where I'm sitting!

Yes, Gunny Hill is quite a climb, and before you've got there, you'd have come out of Tavistock. There's a short hill out of the town, then down into Lumburn, then a biggy up to Gulworthy, then a long drop down into the Tamar Valley to the bridge. By this time, you're already tired!

Then the climb up Newbridge Hill into Gunnislake. Rest there perhaps? Toilets and shops and pubs. Then the main climb, perhaps rest at the petrol station near the top - shop/drinks/food/mini mart, then plod onto the top a mile and a half further on at 750ft.

I ride it two or three times a week. The other times, I go down and over to Tavistock.

xxmimixx wrote:Hi
Ill be going to Cornwall with the family and want to take our bikes to explore the area. We are staying near Hewas Water. I understand that Cornwall can be quite hilly but any suggestion, help with local area would be very much apprecciated.

Many thanks
Mimi
Basically, make sure you are well prepared. Don't carry too much stuff, and take your time. The hills tend not to be long, but can be quite steep and sudden making it difficult to get into a rhythm. Also, during holiday times, the roads can get quite busy, even usually quite small roads and the hedges can be high and visibility can suffer.
Mick F. Cornwall
delport

Post by delport »

Mick F wrote:
delport wrote:Do you recognise this area at all?
No more than half a mile from where I'm sitting!

Yes, Gunny Hill is quite a climb, and before you've got there, you'd have come out of Tavistock. There's a short hill out of the town, then down into Lumburn, then a biggy up to Gulworthy, then a long drop down into the Tamar Valley to the bridge. By this time, you're already tired!

Then the climb up Newbridge Hill into Gunnislake. Rest there perhaps? Toilets and shops and pubs. Then the main climb, perhaps rest at the petrol station near the top - shop/drinks/food/mini mart, then plod onto the top a mile and a half further on at 750ft.

I ride it two or three times a week. The other times, I go down and over to Tavistock.

I'm amazed you can manage that weekly, that set of hills for me is more like a once in a lifetime thing.It's just memorable.It's must be a nightmare come November for ice?
I was there 2 weeks before cornwall was snowed in.

I met a guy near a shop at the top, and spoke to him saying, i couldn't believe how steep that was.
It's comparable, but worse than, the climb into Lanark in Scotland.

Yes i came from Tavistock to reach that area.
dodger

Post by dodger »

Hi Mimi
The thing about Cornwall in the summer is the level of traffic, particularly on the main roads. However, it's rewarding to just take to the extensive range of small lanes leading all over the place. Wherever you go will have hills somewhere, but there is a cycle route from St Austell down through the valley to Pentewan, where there is a small village with a nice pub (good food) and a lovely beach nearby. This is fairly flat.
The Clay Country trails are worth trying and also the Camel Trail between Padstow and up to the edge of Bodmin Moor. This route does get VERY busy in summer, but if you join at, say, Wadebridge or Bodmin and go up the trail (i.e. away from Padstow) you can join small lanes and go on up through St Breward into and around part of Bodmin Moor. This is a scenic and much quieter route.
Hope you enjoy it.
massimo

Post by massimo »

I have just finished a nice travel in southwest england.
http://viaggibici.altervista.org/Europa ... valon.html
Unfortunately I have not traslated my pages, but -at least- you can have an idea of the tracks and hills (each stage has a map and an altitude graph).
Main roads were often busy and I suggest to avoid them.
Little lane are narrow and nice for a bike ride, but very very hilly. expecially if you ride along the coast.
The camel trail is wonderful and I suggest to follow it.
I think you cannot miss Land's End, Polperro (steep road), Tintagel, St Ives (steep road) and the road between Marazion (st. michael mount) and Mousehole (south of Penzance): last miles are very steep.
Anyway don't hesitate to contact me for any information.