front rack advice appreciated

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
kevsterjw

front rack advice appreciated

Postby kevsterjw » 11 Aug 2011, 3:10pm

Firstly, hello!, newbie here.

Secondly, I am trying to find a front rack that will fit a MTB suspension fork. Or a way of modifying a rack to fit. Internet searching has only come up with the old man mountain rack, any others?

any advice appreciated.

tim_f

Re: front rack advice appreciated

Postby tim_f » 11 Aug 2011, 10:33pm

Russcoles

Postby Russcoles » 12 Aug 2011, 3:53am

I have used one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Alloy-Fr ... 20bbcd89f3
They aren't bad but are only really suitable for light loads and you need panniers with movable hooks to be sure they will fit.

Barrenfluffit

Postby Barrenfluffit » 12 Aug 2011, 7:56am

I have the OMM rack. It is ridiculously expensive but is also very good. Mounting through the axle means using a non standard skewer and having to remove it to remove the wheel. In addition the skewer is quick release so your effectively stuck with it despite the security issues of QR. the sizing is small so you need the 700c version even on a 26" wheeled mountain bike. Its not a low rider design so the bags are carried relatively high with a larger effect on steering but the bracing between the sides is as good as it gets so they don't more around/wobble.

Despite all that, for a long loaded tour with rough terrain it works very well. My choice was to bite the bullet and pay up but the market might have come up with something better in the meantime or it might be overkill for your intended use.

gaz

Postby gaz » 12 Aug 2011, 11:15am

There's a second hand Carradice Limpet system on the For Sale Board at the moment.

No connection with the seller, no experience of the system but it was an early solution to the MTB suspension fork issue.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

edwin

Postby edwin » 13 Aug 2011, 10:06am

Hi,

I am unsing this one. Easy to adjust and fits good to the bike.
The main disadvantage is the railing where you hang your panniers. This rail is so high, neither Ortlieb nor Vaude hooks fit securely on it.

regs

edwin