Airline carry-on baggage

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
amorphous

Airline carry-on baggage

Post by amorphous »

Hi guys.....

I am flying in a few weeks time, with my bike
My check in luggage - Bike, Box, Tent poles, U-Lock, tools etc exceedes my weight limit by 1.7Kg.

There is NOTHING I can leave out....I have had all sorts of hassles before with airport security, but here is probably not the best place to complain about them (We all know that 15mm pedal spanners are much more likely to cause disruption to the flight, than the big glass bottles of spirits they sell in duty free!!!)

There is no way I'm paying 100 euros for being less than 2 kilos over.....
The only solution I can see is to take my saddle and pedals as hand luggage, which will bring the weight down considerably.

Does anybody have any experience doing this.....my feeling is that a saddle and pedals are legitimate hand luggage, but in the past I have also thought that about a U-Lock, a 15mm spanner, a small pump, and a chain tool. (all prohibited items, it turns out - at least as far as Schiphol airport is concerned!)

Anybody help?
rualexander

Re: Airline carry-on baggage

Post by rualexander »

Ditch the box and use a bag.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Perhaps your pedals have an allen key hole on them? I took an allen key in place of the heavy spanner. You do need to check they're not jammed on before you set off, of course.

Interesting that you're over the limit. Which airline is it, is the bike really heavy or is it a super heavy box? Iirc, even easyjet have a separate weight allowance for the bike, 20 or 30kg.

£100 seems a lot for one additional checked bag.
groberts

Post by groberts »

One of my other pastimes is scuba diving, which provides similar problems in transporting heavy gear, much of which is safety related but still causes lots of 'permitted weight' problems. In most cases it is possible to get an additional sports gear allowance either at check-in or better still phone ahead if possible, though that may still not be enough. Therefore for safety and weight reasons I carry some smaller, weighty and /or damage sensitive equipment in my hand luggage (such as the breathing regulator and dive computer) without any problem - so long as the said hand luggage conforms to size rules and the equipment is deemed safe i.e. could not be obviously used in a violent way. The security usually pick-up the equipment from the X-ray section (or I just declare it) take it out of my luggage, peer at it curiously, I explain what it is, they raise their eyebrows and say OK. Good luck
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Ditch the u-lock I would not take such a heavy on tour but a lighter cable lock.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

groberts wrote:One of my other pastimes is scuba diving, which provides similar problems in transporting heavy gear, much of which is safety related but still causes lots of 'permitted weight' problems. In most cases it is possible to get an additional sports gear allowance either at check-in or better still phone ahead if possible, though that may still not be enough. Therefore for safety and weight reasons I carry some smaller, weighty and /or damage sensitive equipment in my hand luggage (such as the breathing regulator and dive computer) without any problem - so long as the said hand luggage conforms to size rules and the equipment is deemed safe i.e. could not be obviously used in a violent way. The security usually pick-up the equipment from the X-ray section (or I just declare it) take it out of my luggage, peer at it curiously, I explain what it is, they raise their eyebrows and say OK. Good luck

I tend to treat unusual stuff like a laptop - pull it out and send it through separately. Its then clear what it is visually rather than being an unusual shadow on an x-ray of the bag.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

usually you have your bike (in a bag or box) withtools etc in, your own check in luggage (in another bag) and then check in.

in your situation i would move some bike stuff into my personal check in luggage, then move my clothes to carry on luggage (no chance of them being confiscated).
amorphous

Post by amorphous »

Thanks guys....

I tried to go through Schiphol Airport in June with my bike in polythene, and was told by the check in staff it had to be packed in a cardboard box, or a 'proper' bag....in truth I think I got a jobsworth, as nobody else seems to have had any problems.

I have also in the past used a lighter (3.5Kg) box from a bike shop....my bike picked up a few 'injuries' in that journey, so it is again something I'd rather avoid. (which is why I went on to polythene bags - so the baggage handlers might take more care!)

Anyway, I'm now the proud owner of an expensive cardboard box which I intend to use on this trip (I would try a bag again, but my departure airport does not sell boxes, and I cannot take the chance of my bike not being accepted)

Bike is 15Kg
Box is 5Kg
U-Lock is almost 1.8 Kg
Misc tools, spares, and tent poles / pegs 2.8 Kg

I can't take a lighter lock...I will be requiring to leave my bike occasionally in major cities, and anything less than an industrial sized U-lock is folly (anybody who has ever been in Amsterdam will know how quickly bikes go missing, and how even the best cable locks can be cut through in seconds)

KLM baggage policy is 'piece concept' - everything checked in must be in the box, or its 55 euros for each additonal checked in piece.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Wear most of your clothes, raincoat etc. with stuff in the pockets which will not incur the ire of those who are paid by your fares!!
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

amorphous wrote:Bike is 15Kg
Box is 5Kg
U-Lock is almost 1.8 Kg
Misc tools, spares, and tent poles / pegs 2.8 Kg

This is heavy gear, isn't it, a 33lb bike in an 11lb cardboard box and 2kg of tools and spares (if the tent stuff is 800g, say)? Is it a big expedition, far from the beaten track?

I suppose if you can't trim the weights anywhere, and you can't fly the stuff to where you're going, the obvious option is to post the heap of tools ahead. Posting 2kg will be cheaper than 100E?
Tako

Post by Tako »

Which airline? I flew with Emirates with my Brompton packed and declared as golf clubs. Their policy don't consider bikes as exercise or sporting equipment but golf clubs are acceptable. The check-in girl didn't bat an eyelid!
As AP says, wear all your heavy clothing.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Leave the heavy lock at home and buy one when you first need it?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Tako wrote:Which airline? I flew with Emirates with my Brompton packed and declared as golf clubs. Their policy don't consider bikes as exercise or sporting equipment but golf clubs are acceptable. The check-in girl didn't bat an eyelid!
As AP says, wear all your heavy clothing.

My Brompton is a mobility aid ;)
amorphous

Post by amorphous »

Thanks for your suggestions guys....

Airline I'm using is KLM (23 kilos)....usually quite bike friendly, apart from my last trip.

My carry on luggage is not really a problem - I wear all my clothing, and its basically just my pannier bag, a sleeping bag, a few books, and my lights - 4 kilo max.

Don't want to leave the U-Lock, as I cannot afford to leave my bike anywhere unguarded - and a decent U-lock would cost me about 60 euros! (I'm on a tight, tight budget)

Posting isn't a good option on the way out as I have no address to send it to - but a great idea on the return journey.
From experience, my local airport staff are cool about a kilo over, and security is not quite as anal as at Schiphol.
(top things confiscated at Airports (esp Schiphol!) - A spoon with a serrated edge, a tin opener, a spanner and believe it or not, a bicycle pump!!)
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Post restante, maybe? You can post to a post office in most countries, I think.