Euro velo 4 cycling routes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Purchy

Euro velo 4 cycling routes

Post by Purchy »

I have been trying to purchase a Euro velo (Route 4) cycling map, which travels through Poland. Czech Republic, Germany, Holland, Belguim and France.

(Many links on the internet to the Euro Velo route 4 maps, however i cant physicaly get my hands on a map or a planned route)

Can anyone help please

Kind regards

Purchy
Hypocacculus

Re: Euro velo 4 cycling routes

Post by Hypocacculus »

Eurovelo tends to link together existing bike routes which are often called something else - much like Sustrans. It looks like they haven't finished sorting out route 4. Amazon sells a map of the overall network which might help for basic planning, but doesn't look much cop otherwise. Wikipedia gives a very brief description of the main cities en route.

But all is not lost. You only need to identify roughly where the separate routes go in each country and get maps for those sections individually. France and IGN does good 1:100,000 maps aimed at the cyclist, Germany has a very good series of routes (and many published guides), so a bit of research will find that bit for you. I haven't cycled in Poland or Ukraine, but I'm sure a bit of research will find the cycle paths if they exist.

We've always viewed route planning as part of the fun!
Becnal

Post by Becnal »

In Germany, the route is mostly the Main River bike path (Mainradweg). You can get the map from Esterbeauer.de
wyadvd

Post by wyadvd »

whats wrong with proper roads?

I'm planning a trip from Calais to the Dordogne and these wonderful eurovelo routes don't help one little bit. Guess Ill have to be radical and click on the roads on Bikeroutetoaster. anecdotally I have heard from touring friends of mine that large tracts of the eurovelo network turn from an idillic traffic free heaven to an impassable mudbath the moment it rains. hohum. horray for tarmac!

If you switch on the OSM mapping option and click on cycle on Bikeroutetoaster, I believe it shows all the Bicycle "routes" internatonally.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

wyadvd wrote:that large tracts of the eurovelo network turn from an idillic traffic free heaven to an impassable mudbath the moment it rains. hohum. horray for tarmac!

I think you overstate things! I have ridden EV6 and parts of 1. Most of it was superb tarmac, better than anything you can find on a British road! The year we road from Calais to Bayonne we passed miles of engineering works laying superb new cycle routes. A lot of this work was around Arcachon and to the east of there.
wyadvd

Post by wyadvd »

Thankyou very much. As I said I speak from hearsay.

Would any of these routes be useful for my proposed tour down to the dordogne?
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

Four years ago we rode from Narbonne to Calais. We didn't use cycle routes as such but mainly quiet roads. Only after this did we begin to use the cycle path network when we realised how good most of it was. Our route was: Narbonne, Carcassonne, Villefranche, Agen, Villeton, Marmande, Bergerac, Riberac, Verteillac, Rochechouart, Vienne, Moussac, Angles sur l'Anglin, La Roche - Posay, Amboise, Surge sur Brave, Courville sur uire, Pacy sur eure, Gourney en Brey, Abbeville, Montreil, Boulogne sur Mer, Calais.

Some fabulous bits interspersed with fairly ordinary going. The Dordogne and Limousin were nicer than expected and every so often you came to a gem of a place. The Canals du Midi / Garronne were excellent too.

Hope this is useful.
ThimbleU

Post by ThimbleU »

As Hypocacculus has written the route can be linked from routes of the national cycle nwtworks. From Boulogne-sur-Mer in France to Jastrzemb in Poland a GPS track is available on http://www.biroto.eu/TRO1.php?route=RT00000414. The track covers 2.487 km of the 4.000 km of EV4. On that page you will also find accommodation and sights alang the route.
An additional part of the EV4 in France is the Véloroute du Littoral from Le Havre to Mers-les-Bains (171 km) http://www.biroto.eu/TRO1.php?route=RT00000574.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NB date.

What is EV4 like in Germany? How much is traffic-free or light? Is it signposted?

Thanks

Jonathan