West Coast of Scotland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tommo

West Coast of Scotland

Post by Tommo »

After about 800 miles and 13 days we should arrive at Gourock and get the ferry to Dunoon. (Details of this trip are on www.bikingforbeer.blogspot.com). As the point of Ardnamurchan is one of our 4 destinations we are planning to head up to Oban, get a ferry to Mull and from Tobermory get another ferry to Ardnamurchan.
From there we intend another ferry from Mallaig to Skye and to then continue on to where the A832 and A835 meet. From there we have a few options:
1. Stick on the West coast and then head along the north coast via Durness all the way to John O'Groats
2. West coast through Ullapool, then cut back along the A837 and take the road from Lairg to Bettyhill
3. Head east to Dingwall and straight up north through Lairg to Bettyhill.

As we are also coming back from JOG I expect to go along the A99 and A9 to Inverness and continue that way as Aviemore is a scheduled stop. I did this route 2 years ago from Perth to Inverness and up to Bettyhill via Carbisdale castle. The A99/A9 route does not look ideal, but I don't particularly want to back-track at any time so would prefer to leave JOG on a different road.

Does anyone see any obvious problems with this route, other than that we may have to time our arrival at ferries quite well?
Does anyone have any advice on places to see and places to avoid in the West and North of Scotland, and advice on which of those options to take? The 3rd is the shortest but I have not seen the West coast so I wonder if I will be missing out on something, although the island hopping should give me plenty to look at. The first looks the toughest.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am sure there are people on here who can put me right if anything above sounds wrong.

Tom
jb

Post by jb »

After Ullapool turn Left past Stac Pollaidh and into the Inverpolly nature reserve keep going to Lochinver then carry on round the coast past Drumbeg and rejoin the main road up past Kylesku and on to Durness.

Truly magnificent scenery not to be missed, worth the extra pain.

Kylesku hostel now closed, some good campsites though right on the coast.
Inchnadmph hostel has always been good to me, good beer too.
Great pie shop in Lochinver (I think Ive said that before, good pies though,yum)
Cheers
J Bro
tubbycyclist

Post by tubbycyclist »

Agree with jb,the route around the West Coast from Ullapool is a cracker. Take your time though - although the climbs are not long there are plenty of ups and downs.

The loop near Inverpolly is wonderful, although every time I stopped to take pictures the dreaded midge emerged by the thousand from the undergrowth to assault me.

There is a combination of craggy scenery, deserted white sandy beaches and crofts scattered along the coast is fantastic. If you go that way I would also single out the descent to Durness (and the opportunity to visit Cape Wrath) and the loop around Loch Eribol as highlights too. Thinking about it - it is all highlights..!

Accommodation options - wild camping is not a problem in much of this area although there are campsites too,There are some YHAs dotted around the area too.

Have fun.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As for your A99/A9 to Aviemore via Inverness:

A99/A9 to Inverness is about 120 miles from JOG, and is a good road. There's a stiff climb out of Berridale north of Helmsdale, and it's a long, long climb up onto Back Isle from the Cromarty Firth. The rest of it is quite ok, though gets busy as you near Inverness.

Leaving Inverness, the A9 is a very busy dual carriageway, and another long, long climb. There is a cycle route that takes you via tourist attractions - battle fields and the like, and some standing stones, I think - the route is longer, but easier. Head out through Moy, and follow the "old" A9 to stay off the busy dual carriageway as much as you can. The "old" road exists as a cycle track over Slochd Summit, then there's the back roads down to Aviemore. It's all well marked.

Good luck, and I hope that helps!
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Def take the coast around Lochinver etc. Stunning, now that reminds me tis a long time since I went up there......... Ah so many places to tour....
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Have been trying to weigh up the mileage versus probable scenery thing for a few days, but I pretty much knew it was going to go this way. Will stick to the West and include the loop after Ullapool as long as it doesn't make a complete mockery of my schedule overall. To be fair Scotland was fantastic, despite the weather, last time I was there and I did a fairly standard A9 route then up to Bettyhill and along the north coast. If it is as good as you all say it is on the West then I can hardly turn that down.

As for the A9 Mick I think I may jump off around Tain and try my luck with the Nigg ferry at Cromarty. Haven't looked into that one yet, but should mean I can stay out of the traffic for some 25 miles. After Inverness I have done it all before, although I can barely remember some of it. Despite the proximity of such a busy road I found the whole stretch very pleasant last time (except the off-road section of the cycle route at Boat of Garten was being redone at that time and I had to walk for 4 miles first thing in the morning!). As long as it isn't too crazy much before Inverness, heading south, I will be happy enough.