Round World Cycle

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
garybaldy

Round World Cycle

Postby garybaldy » 6 Oct 2011, 9:38pm

Just signed up for the World Cycle Challenge leaving London September 2012 and returning June 2013. Anyone else going?

simonhill

Re: Round World Cycle

Postby simonhill » 7 Oct 2011, 4:09pm

No, I won't be signing up for this. however, I am interested to know why you favour this sort of organised trip instead of a more DiY type.

Call me a cheapskate, but the first thing that strikes me about this 'challenge' is the cost - a mere £34,000 for the whole trip. Just the Perth to Sydney stage is over £7,000, which works out at nearly £200 per day!!

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 7 Oct 2011, 4:43pm

Woh! £34,000! Thats expensive. You could tour the world for six or seven years for that kind of money.
Over five grand just for a month doing the London to Istanbul stage!

garybaldy

Postby garybaldy » 7 Oct 2011, 8:28pm

Hi Guys,

The cost is actually £29500. Still a lot, granted. (This price is up till next Friday, then it's £34k) I think it works out at £105 a day. Given that a b+b in the UK can be about £30-60 a night I don't think its too expensive.

I certainly wouldn't have the confidence or nous to organise it myself. Another reason I am doing (attempting) it is, I'm 60 and all my life I have worked and payed my way. Always played it safe. Well no more. With another £75billion being pumped into the economy, which will push inflation up and suppress interest rates paid to savers even more, I decided to hell with keeping hold of my money, I'm going to spend it. When It's all gone then I will be entitled to the same hand outs that all the layabouts who haven't paid a penny into the system will get. Sorry about that rant. Back to the trip.

For that £29k we will be fully supported with a lorry to carry the gear, a doctor, mechanic, chef, and a masseur. Three meals a day and all drinks will also be provided. Air fares, visa's and insurance are also covered. So for £105 a day I think its not too bad a deal.

Edwards

Postby Edwards » 7 Oct 2011, 8:45pm

garybaldy wrote:Always played it safe. Well no more. With another £75billion being pumped into the economy, which will push inflation up and suppress interest rates paid to savers even more, I decided to hell with keeping hold of my money, I'm going to spend it.

I can understand you totally as with the interest rates the way they are you will soon be paying them.
It does seem a lot but not when you work it out as a daily rate. Some hotel rooms cost more than that. I wish I was able to do this and afford it.

Enjoy the experience.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

Barrenfluffit

Postby Barrenfluffit » 8 Oct 2011, 8:02am

er no I'm not doing it and consider package holidays the polar opposite of cycle touring; particularly on extended trips.

matt2matt2002

Postby matt2matt2002 » 8 Oct 2011, 9:54am

Interesting thoughts here - re the economy
Can't take it with you - was a fav. saying of my granny

I guess the question comes down to - is it good value for what you want to spend your dosh on?
and that's a matter of opinion. It may be 'good' value - but not what you want to spend dosh on. :wink:
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
Lots more in hot countries.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 8 Oct 2011, 11:25am

Firstly, good on yer for deciding to do a long trip.

I wonder, however, how much you have thought this through. Sorry to be a bit negative, but what happens if you fall ill? Presumably the caravan rolls on and you have to try and catch up. What if you don't get on with the rest of the goup? Also, you seem 'interested' in the value of money and I wonder how long you will think £100 plus a day is good value. Particularly when you are in places like India or SE Asia when you find that you can live like a lord for £10-20 a day.

I realise that just going off can be a bit daunting, but believe me it is the most satisfying way to go. I gave up work 15 years ago to travel and haven't regretted a minute. I do a couple of 2-3 months trips each winter and they usually cost about £1200 in Asia and £2,000+ in somewhere like Oz. You could even try it out with a CTC type tour - possibly staying on at the end to carry on on your own.

Go where you want and how you want - but I do think this is a massive commitment that you may start to regret.

Whatever you decide, enjoy.

stephenjubb

Postby stephenjubb » 8 Oct 2011, 12:08pm

garybaldy wrote:Hi Guys,

The cost is actually £29500. Still a lot, granted. (This price is up till next Friday, then it's £34k) I think it works out at £105 a day. Given that a b+b in the UK can be about £30-60 a night I don't think its too expensive.

I certainly wouldn't have the confidence or nous to organise it myself. Another reason I am doing (attempting) it is, I'm 60 and all my life I have worked and payed my way. Always played it safe. Well no more. With another £75billion being pumped into the economy, which will push inflation up and suppress interest rates paid to savers even more, I decided to hell with keeping hold of my money, I'm going to spend it. When It's all gone then I will be entitled to the same hand outs that all the layabouts who haven't paid a penny into the system will get. Sorry about that rant. Back to the trip.

For that £29k we will be fully supported with a lorry to carry the gear, a doctor, mechanic, chef, and a masseur. Three meals a day and all drinks will also be provided. Air fares, visa's and insurance are also covered. So for £105 a day I think its not too bad a deal.

Your give to live life and feel alive, I mean really alive, here in the UK with so much health and safety, do this, don't do that you can feel dead inside as there is no challenge anymore unless you try hard.

Some members of the TA volunteered to go to Afghanistan for the same reason.

I know others will come and argue and say but you can feel alive doing this, this or this.

The bottom line is you are doing something that will make you feel alive and that you will never regret. Go for it.

Ok it will not suit some people, that is why we are all different, but however it is appropriate to you.

Life would be very boring if we were all the same.

Others may voice different opinions, some may have good points, keep an open mind, listen but ultimately its only you that matters in this paricular respect.

Mattie

Postby Mattie » 8 Oct 2011, 5:18pm

Just thinking about your idea; two points really -

1. I can understand you wanting to go with a group. I have just come back from a two month tour and found that being on my own and not really being able to speak to anyone really alienating. Believe it or not but English is not understood at all in some places, so you can find your daily conversation down to only a few words that you may have learned. So being with a group is probably more sociable.

2. I should imagine that this is going to be very hard work physically, even with a support crew carrying your bags.

If I were you I would book a cruise, or a round the world train journey. Round the world by train would be great !

Good luck anyway.

boblo

Postby boblo » 8 Oct 2011, 7:27pm

Good luck to you matey. Spend your hard earned how you wish and enjoy it.

There are many ways to tour, non right or wrong just different.

HebdenBiker

Postby HebdenBiker » 9 Oct 2011, 9:04pm

When It's all gone then I will be entitled to the same hand outs that all the layabouts who haven't paid a penny into the system will get.

When you say "layabouts", you are presumably talking about people who are less fortunate than you. And I have to say, this sounds very ugly coming from someone who has just spent £30000 on a dream holiday. If you don't like poor people, then I don't think you're going to enjoy a round-the-world cycling trip.

Here's hoping that you do enjoy your trip, and that your experiences make you a little more full of the milk of human kindness.

wirral_cyclist

Postby wirral_cyclist » 9 Oct 2011, 10:50pm

HebdenBiker wrote:
When It's all gone then I will be entitled to the same hand outs that all the layabouts who haven't paid a penny into the system will get.

When you say "layabouts", you are presumably talking about people who are less fortunate than you. And I have to say, this sounds very ugly coming from someone who has just spent £30000 on a dream holiday. If you don't like poor people, then I don't think you're going to enjoy a round-the-world cycling trip.

Here's hoping that you do enjoy your trip, and that your experiences make you a little more full of the milk of human kindness.

Only 2 posts and insults? Way to go!

Russcoles

Postby Russcoles » 10 Oct 2011, 1:26am

Sounds like a fantastic way to see the world. The DIY approach may suit some but theres always something to be said for being able to just cycle and let someone else deal with all the details. I am envious and hope you have a fantastic time.

looe

Postby looe » 10 Oct 2011, 5:20am

Do as YOU want garybaldy. I love to tour on my own but would never say that you are doing the wrong thing. Have a nice trip and yes, I'm jelous