Round World Cycle

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
HebdenBiker

Re: Round World Cycle

Postby HebdenBiker » 10 Oct 2011, 9:03pm

wirral_cyclist wrote:Only 2 posts and insults? Way to go!

If you'll show me the insult, I will gladly retract it. I have no intention of insulting anybody. As for my post count, how many posts do I have to make before I'm allowed to disagree with a "regular"?

Once again, here's hoping the OP enjoys his trip, and that his experience helps him to have more understanding of those less fortunate than himself.

wirral_cyclist

Postby wirral_cyclist » 10 Oct 2011, 9:28pm

HebdenBiker wrote:

If you'll show me the insult, I will gladly retract it. I have no intention of insulting anybody. As for my post count, how many posts do I have to make before I'm allowed to disagree with a "regular"?

Once again, here's hoping the OP enjoys his trip, and that his experience helps him to have more understanding of those less fortunate than himself.

OK so two posts and having a pop better?

The fact is that lots of people on benefits do so as a 'career choice' and it's these 'layabouts' who the OP is speaking about, rather than your real 'less fortunate' people. OP's money and the OP's choice, and if he needs to claim benefits later in life then at least he's actually paid into the system.
You can disagree with anyone at any stage in your post count but it doesn't look good...

HebdenBiker

Postby HebdenBiker » 10 Oct 2011, 10:00pm

wirral_cyclist wrote:You can disagree with anyone at any stage in your post count but it doesn't look good...

What? Disagreeing with someone "doesn't look good?" Well, I'm afraid I'll have to...
disagree with you there :wink:

horizon

Postby horizon » 11 Oct 2011, 12:35am

HebdenBiker wrote:

wirral_cyclist: I thought that HebdenBiker's response was very reasonable (welcome to the forum Hebdenbiker) given that the OP made some quite strong comments.

As regards the RTW trip, I think the OP has got himself a bargain and is doing the best thing possible with his cash (apart from giving it all to me or charity) - people often die rich or early but very poor in spirit. And yes, he will no doubt meet some very poor people on the way and encounter lots of challenges, back up or not. I don't agree with his points about layabouts (that came as something of a surprise) but doing this trip is a lifetime's dream.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

HebdenBiker

Postby HebdenBiker » 11 Oct 2011, 1:20am

horizon wrote:wirral_cyclist: I thought that HebdenBiker's response was very reasonable (welcome to the forum Hebdenbiker) given that the OP made some quite strong comments.

Thanks for the welcome. For the record, I didn't mean to antagonize anybody and I apologise if I have - I just felt I couldn't let the "layabouts" thing go. OP - genuinely - good luck with the trip.

Edwards

Postby Edwards » 11 Oct 2011, 4:56am

horizon wrote: I don't agree with his points about layabouts

He may have a point all these politicians and bankers living the high life with expenses and bonuses at our expense. :wink: :twisted:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

T other Dave

Postby T other Dave » 11 Oct 2011, 9:10pm

Dude well done, it's your money and you have obviously worked for it and saved hard. It's not what I would choose but thats why were all differant. Hope you have a absolutly fantastic time, enjoy.

bealer

Postby bealer » 15 Oct 2011, 7:00pm

Sounds like a cool trip. Be sure to take a good camera, and a helmet cam if you can. My camera geo-tags the photos which is a cool gimic as you can follow my photo trail on flickr.

It's all relative, so I wouldn't worry people questioning cost. I'm on a "DIY" trip from London to Oz, currently in China. While it is cheaper and arguably more "travel" based (and less cycling based like your trip sounds), I certainly miss out on a lot of things.

Company is one. Being in a group should be fun, I'm certainly much more of a group rider. Since I left Europe I've cycled alone, it can get quite lonely/boring. I find the desire to stay put somewhere grows. I'm currently holed up in Yangshuo just enjoying being around other tourists that speak English!

You'll also have a lot taken care of so you can focus on enjoying the cycling. Proper meals, and transfers. Flying with a bike is the one thing I absolutely hate now and I have to deal with every time. I'd much rather my energy was spent on other things which you no doubt will!