pannier help

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hazecellar

pannier help

Postby hazecellar » 11 Oct 2011, 5:43pm

hi - once again i am asking for advise . i have decided that i am going top to bottom france next year unhelped and camping, carrying all the stuff i need. the question is - 1 what size panniers do you all think and 2 what make do you all think . i know i am saving money on camping but i dont really want to break the bank on mega expensive bags but i dont really know what ones are quality or just pants . reasonably waterproof i am guessing is important although a plastic bag inside would help a bit ( or am i being thick ? ) would be good if sturdy bits of kit but not too heavy before loading , also if not enough room ( what size ?) can you tie things on top - as you can see i dont usually carry much . i done lejog this year and have got the bug so any help to spur me on is always appreciated

horizon

Re: pannier help

Postby horizon » 11 Oct 2011, 5:47pm

hazecellar: there are several threads on here discussing waterproof versus non waterproof and front panniers versus none and trailer versus panniers. My only point here is that given your mileage I would stick to a 55 litre pair of rears (that's large) plus bar bag with tent on the rack configuration. This will keep your weight down to about 14 - 16 kg which is max for the mileage IMV.
Let's just get Brexit done so that we can get on with the important job of re-joining the EU!

Barrenfluffit

Postby Barrenfluffit » 11 Oct 2011, 5:52pm

My ortliebs have a spring loaded clip which retains the pannier on the rack over bumps. But to take them off you lift the handle (which releases the clip) and lift them off. This is very welcome as your taking them on and off every day. It would be nice if they could be locked on the bike but this was extra. However ortliebs waterproofing can get damaged whilst brushed against rough walls and concrete.

diapason0

Postby diapason0 » 11 Oct 2011, 6:00pm

My vote goes, as always, to Carradice. It's worth giving them a ring as they sometimes have seconds for sale at a very good price.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 11 Oct 2011, 6:09pm

I have Altura Arrans 46 litres, about £53. Light with plenty of space you need good plastic bags to keep stuff dry. Good atachments, loops on top so easy to secure with locks or bungees. Nice little outside pockets to keep tools, stove etc. Very easy to mount and unmount. I particuarly like the huge lids because you can easliy stow or acess a waterproof or fleece without having to open the whole thing.
Ortliebs are only another thirty quid and may be worth it.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » 11 Oct 2011, 6:16pm

I have Altura Arrans 46 litres

Please don't buy these bags, as they don't secure firmly to the pannier rack. They're popular because they're cheap, but I had a terrible accident because of these bags and would encourage anyone not to use them now.
Ortlieb have a system that has a clip both over and under the bar, and so the pannier can't leave the rack of its own will. They're expensive, but you get what you pay for...

chrisc

Postby chrisc » 11 Oct 2011, 6:28pm

My panniers for LEJOG were the cheapest available (Avenir) at, IIRC, around £23. But they have been superb, if a little short of volume at a declared 30L. Advantage : you are constrained to take less weight ! The zips and stitching which looked flimsy are still as good as new, despite abuse with brute force at times. The snap connectors to the luggage rack worked just fine. The supplementary straps were a little fiddly to use.

The panniers are not fully waterproof in a really persistent downpour but I made sure that I put everything into polythene bags while cosily tucked away. But do make sure that you use transparent bags so you can quickly see what is contained therein. That is, do as I say and not as I did ! :roll:
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)

horizon

Postby horizon » 11 Oct 2011, 6:38pm

chrisc: were you camping and did you only use rears?
Let's just get Brexit done so that we can get on with the important job of re-joining the EU!

hufty

Postby hufty » 11 Oct 2011, 6:39pm

+1 for large panniers - you don't have to fill them, and it's a pain if stuff only packs away in a certain order and only when tightly rolled. Re inner bags if you need them: dry bags are loads better than rubble sacks - I have one with a purge valve for my sleeping bag and one for the clothes I want guaranteed dry at the end of the day.

My set-up FWIW: well-known brand of British-made cotton duck panniers front and back, Alpkit Gourdon strapped to rack to carry tent poles, on-off-on-off clothes, end-of-day water, evening food etc, and to function as a day bag. Tiny bar bag because I don't like the effect on steering they have. Dry bags and rubble sacks as pannier liners.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine

horizon

Postby horizon » 11 Oct 2011, 6:44pm

hufty wrote:+1 for large panniers - you don't have to fill them, and it's a pain if stuff only packs away in a certain order and only when tightly rolled. Re inner bags if you need them: dry bags are loads better than rubble sacks - I have one with a purge valve for my sleeping bag and one for the clothes I want guaranteed dry at the end of the day.

My set-up FWIW: well-known brand of British-made cotton duck panniers front and back, Alpkit Gourdon strapped to rack to carry tent poles, on-off-on-off clothes, end-of-day water, evening food etc, and to function as a day bag. Tiny bar bag because I don't like the effect on steering they have. Dry bags and rubble sacks as pannier liners.

hufty: I like your set up and generally do the same for camping. However I'm wondering if we need to get a discussion going about weight/distance as four panniers may take hazecellar over his weight limit.

chrisc

Postby chrisc » 11 Oct 2011, 7:06pm

Horizon :

Not camping. I supplemented the panniers with a backpack strapped to the rear above them. Very useful. CofG was a bit aft therefore but no control problems. Next time I would probably use a bar-bag also.

Next time ? What am I saying ... ?? :shock:
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)

scopewulf

Postby scopewulf » 11 Oct 2011, 7:36pm

I just did similiar tour round France a couple of weeks ago, I used Ortlieb Back Roller Plus's a Alpkit 25L Stealthy Gourdon pack on the rack & a Ortlieb Ultimate 5 bar bag. Fitted all my gear inc tent, cooking kit,sleeping kit (winter bag :roll: ), spare cloths food etc easily in plus had room in the Gourden for extra daily 'treats' to take along. Next time I might get some front Roller's just for the cheap wine :D

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 11 Oct 2011, 7:53pm

Here are the Arrans. They cannot jump off if they are properly mounted, two metal pawls underneath the side rails prevent that. In addition you will note the yellow stuff sack which contains tent, sleeping bag and air bed. Two bungees secure it and they are also looped through the Arrans carrying loops making them very hard to pinch. The bar bag, easliy unclipped and carried with its shoulder strap contains all the valuable stuff. A baguette and evening meal from the supermarket is easily secured on top of the stuff sack.

Al

Subway Touring Bike by Alyrpal, on Flickr
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 12 Oct 2011, 8:16am

[quote="al_yrpal"]Here are the Arrans. They cannot jump off if they are properly mounted, two metal pawls underneath the side rails prevent that. In addition you will note the yellow stuff sack which contains tent, sleeping bag and air bed. Two bungees secure it and they are also looped through the Arrans carrying loops making them very hard to pinch. The bar bag, easliy unclipped and carried with its shoulder strap contains all the valuable stuff. A baguette and evening meal from the supermarket is easily secured on top of the stuff sack.

Al

The metal pawls are a recent addition not fitted on mine and sadly not sold after market. I have had them bounce off a few times but now I have retro fitted Carradice C-system fixings.

So if you buy new ones they are OK, nothing special, but OK but make sure you get the metal pawl.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

Ivor Tingting

Postby Ivor Tingting » 12 Oct 2011, 9:27am

al_yrpal wrote:Here are the Arrans. They cannot jump off if they are properly mounted, two metal pawls underneath the side rails prevent that. In addition you will note the yellow stuff sack which contains tent, sleeping bag and air bed. Two bungees secure it and they are also looped through the Arrans carrying loops making them very hard to pinch. The bar bag, easliy unclipped and carried with its shoulder strap contains all the valuable stuff. A baguette and evening meal from the supermarket is easily secured on top of the stuff sack.

Al

Subway Touring Bike by Alyrpal, on Flickr

That is one hugemongous tent you have on the rear rack. How heavy is it and how many people does it sleep? Eight? Your load looks like it would give quite unbalanced bike handling especially as the panniers are mounted so far back behind the rear axle.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.