Riding from Nice to Basel via Mt Ventoux

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
subandean

Riding from Nice to Basel via Mt Ventoux

Post by subandean »

Will be riding this in September and would appreciate any knowledgable suggestions regarding route and places to stop off. 8)
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Hi,

I did this the other way back in September 2001, so I ought to be able to offer you lots of helpful hints, but of course I can't think of any!

Well, not quite true. Here are a couple of things, will throw some more in when I think of them.

1. The road from Nice to Marseille is reputed to be very busy. I took the train, which is very scenic. You could always avoid Marseiile.

2. There are lots of nice bits of Provence. I recommend the hill village of Oppede (but not to stay) - mad ancient houses on impossibly steep windy cobbled streets.

3. Go to Fontaine-de-Vaucluses, it's a bit like Cromford or Matlock Bath with a big annual secret. If you're youth hostelling then the YHA in Fontaine is wonderful.

4. On that subject, if you are YHing, beware that many hostels close at some point in September.

5. Beware the Mistral! It blows sort of NW-SE and can be mighty windy. I rode 28 miles in one hour on a fully loaded tourer SE from the foot of the Ventoux, with the Mistral behind me. I wouldn't have fancied it much in my face.

That's a few for now. Will think of some more soon.

Oh, enjoy it! Best month on a bike ever.

Dave
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Go to Grasse and then take the Route de Napoleon to Castellane. From there go round the Grand Canyon de Verdon to Moustiers St Marie.

Then make your way through the lavender fields to Forcalquler (where the air is fantastic) and on to Sault. You can take the easy climb up Ventoux or do the better route through Gorges de Nesque to Bedoin. Then do the normal TdF climb up Ventoux.

After you can make your way through the fantastic Vecours to Genoble and then Geneve before Basel.

You would have one fantastic and memorable trip.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".