Round the world without a penny to start with...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Round the world without a penny to start with...

Post by simonhill »

In most (so called) western countries it might not be too much of a problem, so go and have fun. There are plenty of oppurtunities to earn - even if it is only cleaning someone's car, or doing a bit of gardening (ie very casual work). However in somewhere like India it will be completely different. You don't need much to survive there, but if you have nothing then surviving could be very difficult (not sure there is much demand for TEFAL there). I have cycled in India a lot and seen the very poor; flood victims; beggars; etc and I couldn't survive at their level, or work at their level (hard, dirty, poor conditions, poor pay, etc).

Let us know how you get on - its certainly better than the bloke who was paying 30 grand for an organised cycle trip round the world.
joecycle

Post by joecycle »

simonhill wrote:In most (so called) western countries it might not be too much of a problem, so go and have fun. There are plenty of oppurtunities to earn - even if it is only cleaning someone's car, or doing a bit of gardening (ie very casual work). However in somewhere like India it will be completely different. You don't need much to survive there, but if you have nothing then surviving could be very difficult (not sure there is much demand for TEFAL there). I have cycled in India a lot and seen the very poor; flood victims; beggars; etc and I couldn't survive at their level, or work at their level (hard, dirty, poor conditions, poor pay, etc).

I think the building money up in wealtheir countries route is definitely the way to go.

I might have to set myself little challenges, e.g. I can only stay for a maximum of three days in one place earning money, to keep the fact that it is about getting around the world on track.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

This book would be a start:
www.amazon.co.uk%2FWork-Your-Way-Around ... 2Q&cad=rja

That said the mechanics of getting a job don't suit a continuously moving lifestyle and running out of money before you've been paid would undermine the project. Volunteering type opportunities in developing nations often mean a substantial contribution; they can get cheap labour locally. The work, travel, work mode seems to be most commonly done. Work permits can be an issue.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Barrenfluffit wrote: ... The work, travel, work mode seems to be most commonly done. Work permits can be an issue.
And as we live on a group of islands, getting across that first stretch of water implies some work here first to get at least the fare across the Channel. The 'round the world' element, as well as probably taking some time would need some thinking out because of the documentation. As well as work permits, plenty of countries beyond the EU require a Brit to have an entry visa (often with conditions limiting the length of stay, proof of having the means to leave again etc.) Without dosh, only short, relatively local ferries would be affordable for hopping stretches of water.

I suspect that the ability to eke out a frugal existance for an extended time might be enough for a long stay in one country but going round the world would need a lot more than that in the 21C
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

simonhill wrote:its certainly better than the bloke who was paying 30 grand for an organised cycle trip round the world.

that bloke could have spent that money on a car that within 2 decades will be worth it's scrap metal value. good on him
joecycle

Post by joecycle »

thirdcrank wrote:
Barrenfluffit wrote: ... The work, travel, work mode seems to be most commonly done. Work permits can be an issue.
And as we live on a group of islands, getting across that first stretch of water implies some work here first to get at least the fare across the Channel. The 'round the world' element, as well as probably taking some time would need some thinking out because of the documentation. As well as work permits, plenty of countries beyond the EU require a Brit to have an entry visa (often with conditions limiting the length of stay, proof of having the means to leave again etc.) Without dosh, only short, relatively local ferries would be affordable for hopping stretches of water.

I suspect that the ability to eke out a frugal existance for an extended time might be enough for a long stay in one country but going round the world would need a lot more than that in the 21C

I was thinking for proof of means to leave etc, I could just take my card with me with enough on it but with no intention of actually using it.

I would be trying to avoid having to use any other means of transport as much as possible no matter what it would take, but obviously ferries/boats will be needed in certain situations.

I'm trying to think up a set of rules I have to follow to keep the journey flowing but also allowing me to build up enough money in certain places to get into the next area/country.

Any ideas for some rules would be greatly appreciated.
looe

Post by looe »

joecycle wrote:
looe wrote:Are you going solo or do you want company?

Cheers for all the replies so far, I didn't know about the need to have money on you at all times but surely this is not an often enforced law?

Looe - I've got a mate who says he is prepared to travel to southern Spain but from there it seems I would be on my own.

What sort of route do you have in mind?

I usually go where it looks nice, don't plan to much
megilleland

Post by megilleland »

Here's a load of links with people's personal experiences of trying to do without money in different circumstances and one or two hospitality sites. A lot are people travelling without bikes, but you may pick up a tip here or there. Happy reading!

I live without cash – and I manage just fine
In 2009 armed with a caravan, solar laptop and toothpaste made from washed-up cuttlefish bones, Mark Boyle gave up using cash.
489 comments

Mark Boyle's video one year later 2010 208 comments

Getting by without money in Spain

Living without money

Help! Traveling without money.

Tom Thumb

How-to-travel-for-free

Let me stay for a day

Hospitality Club

Warmshowers - hospitality site for touring cyclists
joecycle

Post by joecycle »

megilleland wrote:Here's a load of links with people's personal experiences of trying to do without money in different circumstances and one or two hospitality sites. A lot are people travelling without bikes, but you may pick up a tip here or there. Happy reading!

Cheers for all of this, I'll have a look through it all, looks excellent.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Could your success in this venture also depend on your age. I would argue that a young man may be seen to be on some kind of adventure and might be treated differently to an older man who may be regarded as a tramp.

Picture taken Cancale, France (on the coast !)

[url]Image[/url]
joecycle

Post by joecycle »

Mattie wrote:Could your success in this venture also depend on your age. I would argue that a young man may be seen to be on some kind of adventure and might be treated differently to an older man who may be regarded as a tramp.

Haha, I'm twenty three but I have every intention of getting some serious beard growth underway.
dave noble

Post by dave noble »

no practical advice - just encouragement.
Good for you say I. I'm sure it could be done and that you and the folk you meet on the way will be richer for it.
2010tillwhen

Post by 2010tillwhen »

Hey Joe,

On our travels, we've met a few cyclists who get out there without starting money and go for a long time doing varying professions. Teaching english, manual labour & busking seem to be common themes.

Some inspiration for you:

In Spain we met a group of cycle touring clowns on their way to Senegal from Valencia- they made their cash by performing at busy road junctions when the traffic lights were on red, and they gave back to little communities that took them in by doing circus workshops with the local kids.

http://www.feel-the-earth.com is Keiichi Iwasaki's effort. (The Japanese version is more up to date so use a translation tool) He set off from Japan with a bike and the equivalent of a euro/pound ten years ago and is still going. He funds it by busking magic in the street, and for those who take him in.

We also met a squatter in Geneva who has been homeless since his early teens, so had no choice but to get out there and survive, he did a lot of travels by bike around Europe and Africa. He gave back to those who helped him through magic tricks too.
Now, at 40, he's making a living through social work and a new enterprise- the former taking young delinquents on long distance cycle tours to bring them back onto the straight and narrow, and the latter selling jazzy bike components- the profits from which he wants to put back into projects helping the homeless.

Not that this'll be inspiring, (as Sammy- my partner- & I didn't start without a penny), but we've also fallen into the world of busking (music) to keep our savings topped up and are looking into teaching English, as there's quite a demand for it in Asia.

Go for it is all I can say. You'll be surprised at how resourceful you become when you're out on a limb, plus you'll learn that the world is a generous sharing place- people will often open up their homes to you without question, but it's nice to be able to give something back.

It'll be interesting to hear where/what you get up to- will you have a blog at all?

Sarah
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-- _o -_-_-_-_-_- _o
________________( )-\( )______( )-\( )_____

Riding to the horizon since 2010

Find us at http://www.2010tillwhen.com
travelling

Post by travelling »

I have done this but on a much smaller scale but never with just a penny...As pointed out being on an island you first need money to get off

However this site might offer you free food and lodging in return for work http://www.workaway.info/

it doesn't give you free travel but when money is tight and you need somewhere to stop for a few days, clean up get a recharge then food and lodgings in exchange for a bit of work got me through quite a few situations

plan your trip and work locations wisely and you'll be suprised how far you can eek out your very small budget
I have the lightest bike in the world....then I put my fattest body in the world on it...the only pounds that have been lost are from my bank account
horizon

Post by horizon »

thirdcrank wrote:

In my hitch-hiking days I crossed the channel twice (legally) without money (once by crossing on a lorry that was allowed a free passenger, once by asking the driver of an otherwsie empty car if his ticket allowed free passengers which it did) and just missed by minutes a third opportunity which consisted of hitching a ride on a light aircraft (inside the cabin!) from a small airport on the Kent coast. My brother crossed the North Sea by hitch-hiking on a Norwegian fishing trawler. I was once told, when hitch hiking, by the ex army driver that the standard exercise was to give each soldier two shillings and tell him to get home on it - it was seen as character building.

Not only do I think the OP's idea is a good one, I think it is moral, worthwhile and possible. At times it will also be fun. But as everyone has pointed out it is often grinding and frustrating and you do need a strong sense of yourself as something other than a vagrant. It is certainly character building. And I won't even start on the sheer volume of food going unclaimed and wasted on fruit trees, outside supermarkets and in farmers' fields.

Just one point - a bicycle is an expensive form of transport compared to hitch hiking as you have to maintain it yourself (though how much is that really?).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher