SYHA hostel closures

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
horizon

Re: SYHA hostel closures

Post by horizon »

Independent hostels have the initiative, personal commitment and local knowledge to remain profitable, quirky and relevant to walkers and cyclists located in historic, characterful buildings. Travelodge has the organisational clout to deliver a predictable, profitable, uniform, standardised and coherent network. The past genius of the SYHA/YHA is that they once had both. If, as others have rightly said, teenagers now (mis)spend their first years of independence by the side of the hotel pool in Magaluf, then yes, there has to be a re-think.

I think that re-think should have been along the lines of: we have a unique and almost irreplaceable national asset. How do we adapt our organisational culture to ensure that we retain its best elements (which includes both an extensive and joined up network and historic buildings)? At that point in walks an accountant and says: it cannot be done, you have to become more like Travelodge or die. To be fair to both the YHA and SYHA there have been lots of initiatives that have saved hostels, especially using a combination of funding sources. They have both lacked government support and Foot and Mouth musn't be forgotten. It may be that no solution could be found but it is nevertheless true that something very precious has been lost. And it was my generation that failed to hand it on to the new one, something of which I am deeply ashamed.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

This seems to be show a long,slow decline in the number of small,remote hostels.
Fortunately a lot of them are taken over & run by local groups,e.g. the very successful hostel at Wooler,Northumberland & the Elenydd Wilderness Hostels in Mid-Wales.
Also similar hostels run by Gatliff Trust in Outer Hebrides.
'The Grey Suits in Head Office' say that the demand is for school groups using city centre hostels wit en-suite facilities, & not elderly cyclists arriving for the odd night!
Strange that the Indepependents & Back-Packers seem able to make it work!
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

John Holiday wrote:'The Grey Suits in Head Office' say that the demand is for school groups using city centre hostels wit en-suite facilities, & not elderly cyclists arriving for the odd night!

I think that there may be a clue in part of the name "Youth". So they are supposed to be for the youth not the latter.
I am sure a lot of the independent hostels are incredibly good but they have the advantage of not having a smaller target group prepared to use them.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Edwards wrote:
John Holiday wrote:'The Grey Suits in Head Office' say that the demand is for school groups using city centre hostels wit en-suite facilities, & not elderly cyclists arriving for the odd night!

I think that there may be a clue in part of the name "Youth". So they are supposed to be for the youth not the latter.

Well, that is not true. The foundational purpose of both YHA & SYHA was to "Help all", though "especially young people" to a knowledge and love for the countryside. If they are giving up on the countryside bit, I don't see why the should continue to honour the bit about young people, especially, if as you seem to be indicating, it is responsible for their present struggling.
PompeyJoe

Post by PompeyJoe »

I think you are being a bit tough on the SYHA. We spent this summer in 5 of their hostels on a LEJOG in August (Lochranza, Oban, Glen Nevis, Tongue and John o Groats). The investment the SYHA have put into each one of these - both in terms of staff and facilities - far exceeded the standard we stayed in in the English equivalent YHA's on the way up. Oban was amazing (not just because we were 'piped in' by a kilted piper!) but we later learned the following day at Glen Nevis hostel that SYHA had just invested £1.25M in the Oban hostel as a commitment for the future.

The sad fact is, 'you gotta use it or lose it...' which may account for the demise of the more remote hostels.
horizon

Post by horizon »

PompeyJoe wrote:I think you are being a bit tough on the SYHA. We spent this summer in 5 of their hostels on a LEJOG in August (Lochranza, Oban, Glen Nevis, Tongue and John o Groats). The investment the SYHA have put into each one of these - both in terms of staff and facilities - far exceeded the standard we stayed in in the English equivalent YHA's on the way up. Oban was amazing (not just because we were 'piped in' by a kilted piper!) but we later learned the following day at Glen Nevis hostel that SYHA had just invested £1.25M in the Oban hostel as a commitment for the future.

The sad fact is, 'you gotta use it or lose it...' which may account for the demise of the more remote hostels.

PompeyJoe: what's left of the YHA is also good in parts: some old buildings refurbished to a high standard, spanking new hostels in some places, iconic remote ones retained and subsidised i.e. the same as the SYHA. What's changed is that these hostels are now stand alone centres of motorized activity, good in themselves but no longer part of a network of fascinating places. It's a survival strategy that might work, great for roof rackers and families in MPVs but it isn't as good for touring cyclists, non-car owning young people, people of limited means, hostel to hostel walkers and, dare I say it, people for whom a modest building witha strange name in a remote and beautiful place still retains an emotional significance.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Woody

Post by Woody »

rualexander wrote:

"There is plenty of demand for hostels, there are over 120 independent hostels in Scotland, a number which has grown massively over the past 15 years or so during which the SYHA has closed around 20 hostels.
So it's not lack of demand, it's poor management, marketing and direction from the central body."

I think he sums it up pretty well!
toontra

Post by toontra »

A couple of us toured the outer isles and west coast in 2009. Out of 14 nights, 13 of them were in independent hostels (due to availability) and 1 at an official SYH. The worst experience (and most expensive) was the single SYH. I'm afraid it's an organisation that has lost its way. It simply doesn't provide suitable accommodation in enough locations or with the right facilities and atmosphere, and certainly not at the right price.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

My experience of hostels is limited to the UK (CTC Lejog twice). When it comes to the point that a B&B is around the same price, or a cheap hotel, there is no contest. My problem with hostels is primarily one of space. I've stayed in good ones like Carbisdale Castle with loads of floor space but ones like Cheddar are awful from that point of view. I've not had any problems with the food which has been at worst more than adequate. Another gripe is showers with nowhere to put anything like shower gel, your clothes, towel etc.
Snoring is easily dealt with in most cases by Boots Wax earplugs which are great.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

Someone commented on lack of use. My mates and I use Melrose regularly. We often have to adjust dates to get a space because it is often full! If Yetholm and Broadmeadows go the numbers trying to get into Melrose will increase.

So that argument doesn't seem to me to stand up. However the building itself is large and I would think valuable. I smell the dead hand of the accountants here.

I for one will only join when I know I am going to use hostels in Europe otherwise my membership is going to lapse. What a shame.
Chris_C

Post by Chris_C »

I know one person's experience doesn't necessarily mean a thing, but I have stayed in Kirk Yetholm, Broadmeadows and Melrose within the last few years. The first two were full, and both had turn people away. Melrose was lively too, and was full of families. SYHA have basically completely abandoned the beautiful south of Scotland. What is left? Minigaff only I think.
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

I do have a nostalgic soft spot for hostels, having spent over the past decades quite a few touring holidays at home and abroad making use of them, plus the occasional overnight. But I will confess that I have on a few occasions taken out YHA membership and then never used it in the period it covered. Why ? A variety of reasons comes to mind, beyond occasional change of plans :

1) segregation of sexes (not in Denmark tho' !) meaning I am separated from my wife;

2) more relaxed experience with private bathroom facilities;

3) excited noisy parties of kids messing about late at night;

4) feeling a bit incongruous at a youth hostel, now we are OAPs !

We tend these days to use Travelodge for overnights where we are able to plan some months ahead. Timed and booked right, these can be very cheap. In fact, we will be staying tomorrow night at the Bedford Travelodge. Cost ? Just £10 for the room ! They let you keep your bikes with you too ...

Yes, it is a shame that such hallowed places close but people's expectations are changing too. It's market forces, I guess.
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
horizon

Post by horizon »

When I first went youth hostelling, we called it youth hostelling. Sometimes we walked from hostel to hostel, at other times we hitch-hiked across the country and later I cycled. But it was always youth hostelling - there was something sufficiently unique about them to deserve the term and youth hostel values and culture are now well known. Travelodging on the other hand is about finding somewhere cheap, private and convenient to stay while touring even it that means finding it on the dual carriageway section of the A3 as we did this year. I think what drives the passion in these discussions (apart from the obvious nostalgia of older members) is an acknowledgment of the youth hostel culture. However, what gives it further fuel is the YHA/SYHA is still unique in having provided a set of practical arrangements for cycle tourists that is still unmatched: when my daughter went cycle touring with an equally young female friend only youth hostels (and not even the independent ones) ticked all the boxes. As far as I know the YHA/SYHA and Travelodge chains are about the same size and now, as the previous post suggested, are competing neck and neck, or at least the YHA is competing with Travelodge. When the SYHA/YHA is finally reduced to a profitable rump of stand alone centres (which it will be), there will be Travelodges, B&Bs, independent hostels, campsites, couch surfing, cheap hotels, stone barns, glamping and wild camping to fill the gaps. What will be missing is the genius that brought it all together in one organisation.
PompeyJoe

Post by PompeyJoe »

During our LEJOG this summer we spent 10 of our 22 nights in YHA/SYHA's with the remainder in Travelodges and Premier Inns, plus one B&B). Without exception we had no problems bringing our bikes into Travelodges/Premier Inns. With a good night sleep with ensuite, they were - without exception - great value for money if no other reason the three of us (me, Mrs PJ and young PJ) comfortably shared one room, but they lacked something...........
YHA/SYHA's were more expensive because we paid not by the room but the headcount. Moreover, there was no en suite and dormitory accommodation meant our family group was split with snoring from fellow hostellers on occasion quite unbelievable..........
Now ask me what young PJ preferred? The answer was the YHA/SYHA option on each occasion simply because he had the opportunity of mixing with other cyclists and hostellers and sharing his adventures with them. In the Travelodge environment you have no opportunity to inter react with fellow customers, and I,m not so sure we would have wanted to in any event.
Whilst the debate on this thread has centred around the closure of some of the remote hostels, the fact remains that unless the two organisations have unlimited funds (which they don't), the laws of economics inevitably will come into play. If we make a collective effort to use these remote hostels then their future would look more secure and the camaraderie which they instil an would be there for other youngsters like young PJ.

PS A tip for horizon: the A3 Travelodge you refer to I assume to be Liphook ( 3 miles from where we live); you might try the Premier Inn a few miles further down the A3 at Petersfield next time: it's location is a little more accessible to civilisation!
horizon

Post by horizon »

PompeyJoe wrote:PS A tip for horizon: the A3 Travelodge you refer to I assume to be Liphook ( 3 miles from where we live); you might try the Premier Inn a few miles further down the A3 at Petersfield next time: it's location is a little more accessible to civilisation!

:D :D We found it eventually!