London to Harwich?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
two_canadians_on_bikes

London to Harwich?

Post by two_canadians_on_bikes »

We're going to be doing some touring in Holland, and we are looking for a nice route from London to Harwich where we will take the ferry. We would be happy to take a train for part of the way, but the longer we can be on our bikes the better.

Also, can anyone tell us what the A routes are like once you're out of London?

J & D
JJF

London to Harwich?

Post by JJF »

Hello two-canadians
I live about half way along your proposed route.
I strongly recommend you to avoid the A roads.

Unless somebody offers detailed advice to the contrary I suggest that you take the train from London Liverpool St station to Shenfield. (That's part of Brentwood). From there you should be able to find a reasonable cycling route.
Having said that, it'd not easy to find a route on minor roads. I'll gladly discuss this in more detail if that would be helpful.
At the other end of the journey, the Sustrans National Cycle Network route from Colchester to Harwich suits your needs. It's largely on minor roads so doesn't suffer from the barrier problems mentioned on another thread.
When are you intending to travel?
JJF
two_canadians_on_bikes

Re: London to Harwich?

Post by two_canadians_on_bikes »

JJF wrote:Hello two-canadians
I live about half way along your proposed route.
I strongly recommend you to avoid the A roads.

Unless somebody offers detailed advice to the contrary I suggest that you take the train from London Liverpool St station to Shenfield. (That's part of Brentwood). From there you should be able to find a reasonable cycling route.
Having said that, it'd not easy to find a route on minor roads. I'll gladly discuss this in more detail if that would be helpful.
At the other end of the journey, the Sustrans National Cycle Network route from Colchester to Harwich suits your needs. It's largely on minor roads so doesn't suffer from the barrier problems mentioned on another thread.
When are you intending to travel?
JJF

Hi, and thanks for the reply. We're travelling mid-week, this wednesday.
How bad are the A roads, like A120? We have a fair bit of experience riding on highways. The biggest question would be how wide are the shoulders?

We are also thinking of taking the train to Colchester and riding to Harwich. We have found a map on the Sustrans National Cycle Network that shows this route, but it doesn't seem to identify the roads. Any ideas where we could find these details?

We're also open to the idea of taking a long, leisurely route over a few days if there is worthwhile scenery and camping in the area. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your help!

Two Canadians with Bikes
JJF

London to Harwich?

Post by JJF »

Hello two-canadians,
The pertinent part of th A120 is like a motorway. Motorists would be surprised to come across cyclists. Not recommended.

Train to Colchester is a good idea. My suggestion of Shenfield would have given maximum cycle ride but a big problem finding a route.

I don't know much about camp grounds. There are some near the coast but not on your route. Scenery is pleasantly rural rather than outstanding.

I could let you have some maps. Can you contact me on
fox(dot)hornbeam(at)btdigitaltv(dot)com and we could make arrangements?
JJF
Moondog

Post by Moondog »

The A120 after Braintree (toward Harwich) is do-able but without maps it will try and dump you on the A12 (Freeway).Before Braintree take the advice of JJF.

Colchester (being England's earliest recorded town is worth a visit) and the cycle route to Harwich is straight forward and well signed.

The train to Manningtree offers you a trip around Counstable country and a pleasant ride along the Stour to Harwich.

Not much in the way of camping locally.Most are only to pleased to leave Harwich and find Bed & Breakfast accomodation before departing early the next day. :(

Will gladly copy Cycle Essex Routes and post them to you if you put up your address or contact via mdogndad@aol(dot)com
Nick
orbiter

Post by orbiter »

Also, in case you haven't seen it, http://www.dutchflyer.co.uk is a cost-effective way to do the crossing, even if you don't use the trains. I recommend paying the extra to use the Stena Plus lounge for a quiet, relaxed trip as the main areas can get pretty crowded and noisy.

Have a good trip :D

Pete
emergence

Harwich to holland

Post by emergence »

I'm curios about you crossing to Holland in May because according to Stena's website, they don't take bicycles till 1st June. I havent gone any further in checking this out, but am i wrong?