Valencia to Barcelona - along the coast

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
petper_jadnoo

Valencia to Barcelona - along the coast

Post by petper_jadnoo »

Hello everyone...
Some time reader, first time writer. I'm planning on a cycle trip up the coast of spain this Summer, starting at Valencia and flying out of Barcelona 2 weeks later (so lots of time to stop and swim & do a little site-seeing).

I've only done the (vague) route by car previously, and from memory & looking at the maps it seems ok (i was hoping to take smaller/less traffic-y roads, and it doesn't seem too bad in this respect), but from reading the other posts on this board, some people seem to say its a bad route to take: lots of traffic, etc etc...

Is this (its a bad idea) the general consensus or just a warning not to expect an easy ride? Has anyone done this previously and have any ideas of good accommodation which allows bikes - was thinking of generally camping, but a little hotel-ling also. also, although i really want to spend a few days at deltebre (about halfway up, and absolutely lovely place) i'm not 100% set on following the coast the whole way up, so if you feel a different route would be more interesting/safe then fair enough...

anyway, sorry for the rambling & barely coherent message.

petper
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Well you can follow the coast, there are roads but expect them to be very busy & unpleasant for cycling on especially around the cities, towns & resorts.

The good news is that you can rely on all Spabish hotels/hostales/pensiones to find somewhere safe to lock away your bike for the night.

Other good news is that taking bikes on trains along the coast is generally no problem.

Consider swinging inland. Take the train to Lliria then follow something like north to Manzanera, Mora de Rubielos, Valdelinares (highest village in Spain), Cantavieja, Mirambel, Morella, Herbers, Valderrobres, Horta de Sant Joan & Tortosa via the Via Verde. From Tortosa visit Delta de L'Ebre. Expect spectacular scenery, wildlife & enough medieval walled villages to bore you silly. Lots of accommodation en route. Quiet roads. Expect to speak no English - Valenciano or Spanish here. Expect to find very few tourists. Great cycling & site seeing.

From Tortosa either swing inland again or take the train to Barcelona.
petper_jadnoo

Post by petper_jadnoo »

Many thanks for the reply HarryD.
When you say that the coastal roads are unpleasant, do you mean the main ones? I vaguely remember there generally being -alongside the main motorways/a roads- smaller (almost dirt path) tracks also which seemed less crowded.
Cheers also for the possible inland route. It sounds nice -will have a look into that also.
And its promising to hear about the bikes on trains. Reading around the various posts & on the main CTC site, I was a little unclear on whether that'd be acceptable or not.
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

I mean the main roads. I have an intense dislike for them (busy, noisy, fast cars & lorries, dirty etc) which is only tempered when there is no alternative. I go cycling to enjoy myself rather than log miles.

I've used the Barcelona to Valencia train service between Cambrils and Tortosa service with bike & without problems - apart from the number of bike already filling up the doorwells. No charge & the locals seemed quite happy with the situation. This despite the bikes blocking the doors as there was no fixed side from which passengers exited.

Regional & Regional Express, but not AVE, trains should take bikes as long as there is space for them in the carriage or a specific area for them. Check on www.renfe.es as to which services count as regional/long distance. You can double check particular services by giving them a call on 0034 94 42 50 61 5. If you don't speak any Spanish you may have to ring back when an English speaker is on duty. My experience & other reports is that there is no issue.
Helen

Valencia to Barcelona along the coast

Post by Helen »

Did this last August (after starting in France, riding the Camino, continuing through Portugal to Fatima, crossing Spain to take part in the mad La Tomatina fiesta at Bunol then continuing up the coast to France, Canal du Midi and back to Bordeaux.

The bit I hated was Valencia to Barcelona! But after such a long, hot summer I was too tired to head back to the safety of the hills. I bought a train ticket to cut out one section, but the trains were too full, so had to get a refund!

When I get home I'll get more detailed info for you... (am in library now).