South downs way

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
lardcat

South downs way

Post by lardcat »

I would like to hear of anyones experience on the South Downs Way. Im planning a trip later this year and looking to cycle camp-could anyone recommend any sites around Amberley area? I would also be interested in any tips on this route- Im not sure which direction yet (having to get the train there and back!! :(

Any help or comments would be greatly received.

Happy New Year!!!!

Cheers
HACK THE PLANET!
Dudley Manlove

Re: South downs way

Post by Dudley Manlove »

There's a fair bit on the following:

http://www.bikedowns.co.uk/
lardcat

Post by lardcat »

Thanks for that- I had already seen that, and a couple of others which have a lot of info- Im really looking for peoples experience and suggestions on where to pitch up on the camping front.

Cheers
HACK THE PLANET!
Cyclenut

Post by Cyclenut »

I've done it camping wild, just a bit off the Way when it gets dark. That works best in spring or autumn, so you don't have to wait too long for darkness and a lull in the passing foot-traffic. And you want a dark coloured tent. But it's great to go for a walk after supper and see the lights twinkling all across the Weald.
Chris Juden (at home and not asleep)
PW

Post by PW »

I've got a Vaude bivvy for wild camping. Low and unobtrusive, 0.91Kg, quick to set-up or scrap in a hurry and there's enough room at the head end to lie there reading a book or listening to R4 on the earphone in relative comfort. Put it behind a wall or hedge no-one will know you're there. Keeps Scottish rain out too.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
lardcat

Post by lardcat »

Cyclenut- where did you stay??
HACK THE PLANET!
fossil

Post by fossil »

Went back to work today only to find the whole workforce is being laid off for 4 weeks .
Just been mapping the route on "bikehike" to go on my newly purchased garmin edge 800,
might do it next week depending on the weather :wink:

regards

Ade
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

PW wrote:I've got a Vaude bivvy for wild camping. Low and unobtrusive, 0.91Kg, quick to set-up or scrap in a hurry and there's enough room at the head end to lie there reading a book or listening to R4 on the earphone in relative comfort. Put it behind a wall or hedge no-one will know you're there. Keeps Scottish rain out too.

I have a Vaude Bivvy and never been used as yet, but would like to use it on the coast to coast walk this May. Is it that good in rain. I'm walking for 12 days and would like to do a spot of wild-camping with the Vaude. Did you suffer from condensation.
PW

Post by PW »

It does get some condensation, but I use a Buffalo sleeping bag with a Pertex outer so that's no bother to me. It does keep the rain out though, even at Applecross when it's coming sideways.
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

Thought as much, My Laser Comp does the same and that is double skinned. Good idea about using pertex.

I've heard that some back-packers (and cyclist's) use a tarp as a back-up such as a shelter for cooking, but that adds weight. Although, nothing stopping leaving the stove outside the bivi, which is a wise thing to do :| or having a bar-meal, although if wild-camping, it would work or would it. One blogger say's leave gear outside in a plastic sack, mm, is it safe to do that.
CJ

Post by CJ »

lardcat wrote:Cyclenut- where did you stay??

Two places. We weren't in a hurry, and half of the first and last days were spent getting out to Winchester and back from Eastbourne.

First place was in the edge of Charlton Forest, near where it says "Cross Dykes" on the OS map (but we were careful not to disburb anyone, much less make them angry :wink: ).

Second was Ditchling Beacon, in the NW corner of the old hill fort, where ramparts and a few bushes were just enough to hide our low tarp from passers by.

With a tarp there is no inside, so everything is kind of outside of course. But so are the sleepers. Would anyone fiddle with our gear when they couldn't really see what we're like or whether we're really asleep? We didn't think so. A tarp or bivvy is probably the best option for wild camping, with woods and pitching at dusk to ensure an undisturbed night. It's also a good idea to cook supper in one place and then move on a few more miles.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
lardcat

Post by lardcat »

Thanks CJ- Might be an option if I cant find anywhere- I "tread lightly" so I wont leave any traces of me being there- "Take memorys and photos and leave only footprints" type thing.
HACK THE PLANET!
PW

Post by PW »

I always leave unwanted gear in a bin liner, in the panniers, on the bike, a yard from the bivvybag. The only things I take in are the bar bag which doubles as the base for a pillow and contains all the valuables, plus the heavier part of the toolkit :wink: . Like CJ if camping wild I eat beforehand somewhere else, arrive late and leave early.
fossil

Post by fossil »

I went out on the SDW today , obviously starting from the statue
it was all going well until i got to Exton then it all got a bit claggy , finished up at the QE Park 25 miles
ran out of daylight :roll: biked it up to Petersfield and got the train back to Bognor

bloody tired now :)
timhogan

Post by timhogan »

Personally not a fan of camping, even less so when mixed with cycling, but Arundel Youth Hostel is about 3 miles south of the SDW and has camping in the grounds.

If no one's done so already, I'd recomend the Harvey trail map which has the entire route on a polyethylene sheet. Tolerates much abuse and won't complain if you fiold it in three to fit the thigh pocket on yer shorts!

It's a great ride, I did it in 3 days last autumn on my Ghost Cross. But I travel light and youth hostel.