Is there an alternative to Sustrans?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Big T

Re: Is there an alternative to Sustrans?

Post by Big T »

I've used the cycle route planner on www.viamichelin.co.uk which I've found to be quite good. It's like any other A to B route planner, but has a cycle option. You can only plan routes up to 200km (i think). It seems to think no-one is capable of riding further than that.

Another option for the east side of the country is the National Byway. It does meander around a little, but sticks to country lane and is entirely on road. It also signed on the ground.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

Call me slapdash but, on longer tours, I generally get a road atlas, rip out the pages I think I'll need, and plan the next day's route each evening. I find it a real chore to plan out the whole route in advance.

Has always worked well for me. On the odd occasion that I haven't got the right pages, road signs generally fill in the gaps until I'm back on my charted territory!
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I'm well aware of OS maps and how good they are, the US has nothing even close. (Actually it does but you'd need so many of them a trailer would be required to carry the maps) I was wandering the Dales using Sheet 90 lo these many years. What I was looking for was a CYCLING GUIDE for the North Sea Cycle Route (and here I risk snarky comments from the moderator) like the Adventure Cycling guides for the US. Something that has a route on paved roads, with listings of accommodation, campsites, places of interest, prevailing winds, avoiding B roads that are anything but, possibly a profile of the route. Yes there is a lot of info on OS maps but I've already wasted plenty of time trying to find the way in places like Station Town, with an OS map I might add. Another such challenge was getting onto NCN1 from the middle of Stockton. If this is all blindingly obvious from OS maps why is there a whole discussion devoted to nothing but Lejog? When I first started looking at Sustrans it seemed to cover all this and more but once I looked in to it Sustrans was a let down, they didn't even have some of the maps they advertised! I got an OS Peak District and Derbyshire Travel Map they suggested as an alternative to the south end of the PCW and it is disappointing, with shading rather than contours

Another option for the east side of the country is the National Byway. It does meander around a little, but sticks to country lane and is entirely on road. It also signed on the ground

Is this marked on OS maps? I have the Goldeneye maps of Suffolk and Norfolk and it doesn't leap out at me.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

The National Byway doesn't appear on OS maps. At least, my local NB isn't on the 1:50k map. However, it is on http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx (with "cycle" button clicked), marked as "NB". The full map of the NB is at http://www.thenationalbyway.org/national_map.asp
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

My apologies to the moderator. The comment I referred to was in the Tea Shop to my posting of some railway pictures
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The National Byway was sponsored by Hovis originally as an alternative to the NCN

It never took off in the same way and they stopped printing and publishing maps. They are very like Sustrans. I did the Chester - Cirencester route and the Winchester and Shaftesbury loops and they were fine.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

It never took off in the same way and they stopped printing and publishing maps.

Seems a shame, they look to be just the thing. Now if the CTC would stop wittering about charitable status and such and do something useful.... I remember a place in Ingleton that had a very old enamel "CTC recommended" plate on it. I suppose that's in an antique shop now along with the idea behind it.
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

Now if the CTC would stop wittering about charitable status and such and do something useful...

Who do you think the CTC is, if it isn't you?
E25
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Who do you think the CTC is, if it isn't you?

Fair enough. Adios.
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

Pete Jack wrote:Yes there is a lot of info on OS maps but I've already wasted plenty of time trying to find the way in places like Station Town, with an OS map I might add. Another such challenge was getting onto NCN1 from the middle of Stockton.
I live in Stockton on Tees and if I can be of some help regarding the NCN 1route in that area, just pm me. The NCN 1 route does follow the coast line, but the section between Whitby and Staithes is not as yet final. You would be better using the White Rose Cycle route NCN 65 to Middlesbrough. The route does skirt Stockton to the east and go's through some dodgy area's where I live, but loads of cycle tourist manage fine. I've helped out German's and the Dutch trying to find their way, some hopelessly lost in the vast housing estate's. Don't let that put you off. You could have look at the Three River's route, this is the route through Stockton. The route from Middlesbrough go's along the River Tees to the Tees Barrage, heading towards the HM Prison, skirting Norton Grange, Roseworth and Hardwick. The signing around these parts are a hit and miss affair, some have been ripped down by the vandals, but it is fairly straight forward, but it is easy for me to say that.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

f I can be of some help regarding the NCN 1route in that area, just pm me

Thanks very much I may take you up on that when I'm in the area in late May / early June.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

If anybody's interested I've just received the Harwich to Fakenham map unavailable from Sustrans from an online outfit called The Hut. It's dated mind 1998.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Transport Direct has a cycle option. It used to be just cities with a developed network but now it includes NCN routes (well at least one). So a useful way of discovering if a route exists between your intended destinations and getting directions to locate it?

http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Jo ... Input.aspx
jaz

Post by jaz »

Gary Cummins wrote:Sustrans certainly does not have a remit to promote touring. Sustrans are an organisation with aims to promote active and sustainable travel, thaey have also been given the task of maintaining the National Cycle Network. More recent editions of OS landranger maps now indicate National Cycle Network (ie Sustrans) routes with a dotted green line. Some of the NCN routes are suitable for touring, however, some are utterly unsuitable for touring at all particulary some of NCN 1 routes near Berwick upon Tweed.

Gary, I'm interested in your comment about the NCN 1 routes near Berwick being unsuitable for touring, as I might be up that way later this year?
jaz

Post by jaz »

Gary Cummins wrote:Sustrans certainly does not have a remit to promote touring. Sustrans are an organisation with aims to promote active and sustainable travel, thaey have also been given the task of maintaining the National Cycle Network. More recent editions of OS landranger maps now indicate National Cycle Network (ie Sustrans) routes with a dotted green line. Some of the NCN routes are suitable for touring, however, some are utterly unsuitable for touring at all particulary some of NCN 1 routes near Berwick upon Tweed.

Gary, I'm interested in your comment about the NCN 1 routes near Berwick being unsuitable for touring, as I might be up that way later this year?