Bigger pots for a trangia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tallis the Tortoise

Bigger pots for a trangia

Post by Tallis the Tortoise »

I'm going cyclecamping with a friend this summer but would like to use the 1-2 man trangia 27 that I already have. The only thing is the pots only hold enough pasta for me so we'd have to cook in shifts. Trangia also do a larger billy can that the stove fits inside and that can be supported on top of the stove in the same way as the windshield, which sounds ideal as I wouldn't have to buy a new stove.

Has anybody used one of these things? If so do they know if they have a particularly adverse effect on stability or the performance in windy conditions (they are supported above the level of the wind shield).

Thanks very much

Andy :-)
2Tubs

Re: Bigger pots for a trangia

Post by 2Tubs »

Tallis the Tortoise wrote:I'm going cyclecamping with a friend this summer but would like to use the 1-2 man trangia 27 that I already have. The only thing is the pots only hold enough pasta for me so we'd have to cook in shifts. Trangia also do a larger billy can that the stove fits inside and that can be supported on top of the stove in the same way as the windshield, which sounds ideal as I wouldn't have to buy a new stove.

Has anybody used one of these things? If so do they know if they have a particularly adverse effect on stability or the performance in windy conditions (they are supported above the level of the wind shield).

Thanks very much

Sorry for the hi-jack, but I bought a Trangia about 20 years ago for hiking. I didn't think they made them anymore.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I've not used the Trangia billy, but we regularly use a very large (14" diameter?) wok on our small Trangia with no stability problems. It's great, but the only problem is that the heat can be a bit concentrated in the middle for haute cuisine! I'd guess we also get through a bit more meths with it being higher up.

Andy.
Tallis the Tortoise

Trangias are still going very strong.

I convinced my friend of their virtues qutie easily. It worked well in the wind, and he was amazed not to have to hold the pan while stirring as is necessary with canister mount stoves.

Interesting information about the use of the wok. I think that it may be a little heavy though for our panniers :wink:

Cheers

P.s. 20 years? That means mine could only have 17 years of use left!
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

Rather than getting bigger pots why not get a smaller Trangia and carry it inside the larger one. Although you will need to remove the kettle (no great loss in my view) you will then end up with a variety of pot sizes and two burners which will make cooking easier, and the packed size will be the same.
The smaller burner can also be used for brew ups during the day.

With this set up we have carried out cooking for two adults and four children.
Tallis the Tortoise

The main reason is cost I'm afraid keepontriking :wink:. I'm already going to be getting new tyres, thermarest, new sleeping bag and barbag. I've also aready brought a new tent just before Easter.

That and weight: we only really need one big pot and one small one and one burner, and only have the smaller trangia with 2 small ones now.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion though

2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Yup, bought it 20 years ago, it's got the odd dent but it's still going strong.

As I say, I use it for my hiking but it's now going in my panniers since I've got the touring bug following my e2e.

Gazza

Tallis the Tortoise wrote:Trangias are still going very strong.

I convinced my friend of their virtues qutie easily. It worked well in the wind, and he was amazed not to have to hold the pan while stirring as is necessary with canister mount stoves.

Interesting information about the use of the wok. I think that it may be a little heavy though for our panniers :wink:

Cheers

P.s. 20 years? That means mine could only have 17 years of use left!
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
PW

Post by PW »

Army surplus hexy burners are useful for extra cooking. Size of 20 fags, fuel from Army stores, will cook dinner for 2. Use one as a back up so you can run 2 stoves together. AND they're dirt cheap. :D :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
jjshore

Post by jjshore »

On a sunny day I have used my 1-2 person trangia with a big ordinary
pan balanced where the frying pan / lid goes without any serious
problems. It is not as stable, so take extra care.
MarySkater

Post by MarySkater »

I recently bought the Trangia 27, and will be taking it on its first trip next month, basic cooking just for me. I was planning to leave one of the pans behind as I doubt I'll want to do anything complicated, and one pan plus the frying pan should be okay. But I am wondering about ditching the kettle instead, taking both pans and using one (lidded with the frypan) to heat water. Any thoughts from experienced Trangia users?

Mary
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

I'd dump the kettle and take the two pots. A pot is as good as a kettle and more flexible.
You can cook in one pan with the frypan/lid on top and place the second pan on top, either to warm water or to keep other food warm.
Tallis the Tortoise

I too have never used the kettle, always just taking 2 pots. It probably saves a little more weight than 1 pot and kettle, and because the 2 pots fit together so neatly you have more space inside for teabags, sugar, washing up stuff etc.

To complete the original story my billy can arrived yesterday. It is just big enough to fit the complete trangia inside, and has a nice lid. The plan is to take that, and just one of the original pots, leaving the frying pan behind and the billy has a lid. That makes the weight about the same as the 2 small pots, frying pan and no kettle but should be a lot more useable and it only cost £14 plus postage.

Tallis the Tortoise

Ps.

As every scout leader repeatedly says it saves a lot of scrubbing if you spread a film of soap or washing up liquid on the base of the trangia pots before use, so that the soot comes off easily.

However, once you have your own trangia and are big enough to decide for yourself, it saves even more scrubbing and fathing with soap to just not care how black-stained the bottoms of the pots end up :wink:

PW

Post by PW »

Can't beat a black bottom :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!