Hiking boots for cycling in.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
in4time

Hiking boots for cycling in.

Post by in4time »

I was looking for a pair of summer boots that I could also cycle in. I was quite taken with a pair by Merrell http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merrell-Mens-Mo ... B000YPSKPS but the sizing on them is nonsensical.
I realise that there are a number of compromises to be made in terms of footprint, rigidity, ankle support etc. and wondered whether anyone else had a found an acceptable lightweight boot that is good for hiking and touring. Any takers ?
rualexander

Re: Hiking boots for cycling in.

Post by rualexander »

I've been wearing similar but cheaper Hi-tec boots for cycling for years so the Merrells should be fine although check how stiff the soles are. Fine for general hiking but not for full hillwalking/trekking use.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I like cycling in hiking/walking boots. I normally do so in the winter, and often in the summer. I cycle in the Timberland equivalent to the ones in the link & find them very comfortable.

The only things I would specifically recommend are:
-avoid any boots that are much higher than those shown
-avoid the soft soles and climbing boots, as they may not be stiff enough

Also, I use the sort half toe clips that were popularized with MTBs... some of them are a bit shallow for hiking boots, so if you use toe clips, check for fit.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
531colin

Post by 531colin »

these.........http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s154p1937

No compromises at all.
SPD....check
Goretex....check
hook & loop lacing....check
rigid sole...check

Not as abrasion-resistant as my 4 season hill-walking boots, but less than half the weight.
I happily walk/scramble in mine in places I wouldn't dream of trying to carry the bike.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

For summer use, waterproof lined boots such as gore-tex etc. are likely to be too hot, unfortunately it is hard to find this kind of boot that doesn't have a waterproof lining these days!
Also some of these boots can get quite heavy when they get wet.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I wear Merrells that look similar to those. They are fine. What's wrong with the sizing?
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

in4time wrote:I was looking for a pair of summer boots that I could also cycle in. I was quite taken with a pair by Merrell http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merrell-Mens-Mo ... B000YPSKPS but the sizing on them is nonsensical.
I realise that there are a number of compromises to be made in terms of footprint, rigidity, ankle support etc. and wondered whether anyone else had a found an acceptable lightweight boot that is good for hiking and touring. Any takers ?

I have got the shoe version of that, and the soles are quite flexy - more flexy than the Merrell Continuum that I had before. Of the two I still prefer the Merrell Continuum in tan !

Shimano boots looked good (love their sandals ! )
cycletourer

Post by cycletourer »

+1 for the Shimanos. We have used the previous version of those suggested by '531colin' the MT90. Absolutely great cycling and walking boots, really comfy right from the start. With a pair of waterproof spats to stop the rain going in the top they are really waterproof and with the Gore-tex they breath well. Haven't really found them to be too hot although we tend to tour in Northern Europe, in the likes of southern France or Spain they may be a bit warm. Good grip for general walking and scrambling, you can add SPD's and replace the rubber part easily if you wish to do a lot of walking. I must admit at first I was was a bit doubtful about wearing boots to cycle in thinking they might seem a bit heavy and clunky, but having used these for the past 3 years you just don't know you have them on! They are a great versatile boot and as we like to do a bit of walking on our tours we wouldn't go touring without them
531colin

Post by 531colin »

rualexander wrote:For summer use, waterproof lined boots such as gore-tex etc. are likely to be too hot, unfortunately it is hard to find this kind of boot that doesn't have a waterproof lining these days!
Also some of these boots can get quite heavy when they get wet.

In the days when walking boots were all rough seams inside we all used to wear 2 pairs of socks, the outer pair were thick oiled wool.
Now boots are as soft inside as kid gloves, I wear just one pair, its the same winter and summer, Coolmax/cotton mix "Bridgedale" brand hiker socks. Brilliant.
I try to keep my boots clean, and the appropriate "Nikwax" stuff used regularly means they don't absorb too much water.
The only improvement I would like to see would be a rubber strip all round the boot above the sole, for abrasion resistance, but having said all that, I havn't managed to damage my boots at all.
velociraptor

Post by velociraptor »

I have been using Boreal Boots similar to the Merrell Moabs: http://www.backpacker.com/boreal_tempest_mid_lady/gear/details/boots/1091.
These have been used for everything from hiking West Highland Way and Laugavegurinn as well as two week bike tours and general mountain biking, although one Icelandic lady said I should get some proper boots. These are discontinued now, though am looking to replace them soon and the Boreal Flyers Mid look to be a similar replacement.
These type of boots are obviously not as protective as full on hiking boots and if hiking I always carry dry spare socks in case of leakage. The only area I think my Boreals could be improve on is if the tongue was stiched in all the way to the top of the boot for better waterproofing. As it is the tongue is only stitched in slightly higher than on the shoe version they derived from. Does the Merrell tongue go all the way up?
As the waterproof liner was getting too leaky I used my proper lightweight Boreal hiking boots with aggressive soles to do week long off road Scottish coast to coast. My knee completely packed in at the end, luckily only 10 miles from Fort William. I have a theory that this was due to the pedals settling into the spaces between the ridges on the soles of the boot and setting the knee in a slightly funnny pedalling position. This had never been a problem with the flatter soles of my old boots (or it looks like on the Merrells). This is only a theory, and it might have been just been the Cairngorm hills that knackered the knees, but I reckon flat pedals would also have helped.
For hiking safey the important feature is rigidity of the soles (a feature also needed on the bike) so that the boot doesn't give way and turn an ankle. High soles supporting the ankle is something of a myth i reckon.
coldhands

Post by coldhands »

Can only suggest Shimano off road range-I've just bought the Gore tex shoe SPD with Vibram sole,£100 but my previous Shimano took 5 years of constant use.S'o also do a combined/cycling boot.Have had a couple of pairs of Shimano,very robust.
alicej

Post by alicej »

cycletourer wrote:+1 for the Shimanos. We have used the previous version of those suggested by '531colin' the MT90. Absolutely great cycling and walking boots, really comfy right from the start. With a pair of waterproof spats to stop the rain going in the top they are really waterproof and with the Gore-tex they breath well. Haven't really found them to be too hot although we tend to tour in Northern Europe, in the likes of southern France or Spain they may be a bit warm. Good grip for general walking and scrambling, you can add SPD's and replace the rubber part easily if you wish to do a lot of walking. I must admit at first I was was a bit doubtful about wearing boots to cycle in thinking they might seem a bit heavy and clunky, but having used these for the past 3 years you just don't know you have them on! They are a great versatile boot and as we like to do a bit of walking on our tours we wouldn't go touring without them

+ 2 for these, I've just got some and am really pleased with them.
[EDIT: mine are the new version MT91]
slowpeddler

Post by slowpeddler »

I tour using Clark's Walking Shoes. They are Goretex lined, very comfortable, not heavy at all and your feet are protected if you come off. I have found that they are so much better than so called cycling shoes.

Mind you, I use platform pedals.

Unless you are doing serious mountains, (and that includes Scotland in all seasons ,because of weather and water) for summer walking these are fine.

John
RonK

Post by RonK »

If you have wide, flat feet like mine you'll likely find Shimano shoes too narrow for comfortable walking.

Consider these Northwaves for a wider fit - SPD cleat fixing, Vibram soles, Goretex lining, and fairly conventional looking - not too bright or garish for everyday wear as your only shoes on tour.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
satanas

Post by satanas »

Back in 2009 I used Salomon XA Pro GoreTex trail runners when cycling from Manali to Leh in the Himalayas, and also for trekking and general walking around, including on snow. These shoes have a relatively stiff sole - much stiffer than some cheap walking boots - and are light, grippy on almost all surfaces, comfy, etc. I never had problems with hot feet (YMMV) and was extremely glad they kept water out when riding through snowmelt. There is a non-GoreTex version too. They are a bit bulkier than most cycling shoes, but are infinitely easier to live with off the bike. If you need more ankle support there is also a "mid" version which comes above the ankle and is also much more compatible with gaiters.

Some later versions appear to have considerably softer soles, so it's best to exercise some caution; I think the GoreTex ones are still stiff though.

Later,
Stephen