Hardknott, Wrynose and Winnats

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Hardknott, Wrynose and Winnats

Post by Mick F »

If I were to cycle Up North this summer, I have a hankering to ride up to the Lake District and do Hardknott and Wrynose, then come down to the Peak District to do Winnats.

Are there any more whilst I'm at it?
Mick F. Cornwall
Big T

Re: Hardknott, Wrynose and Winnats

Post by Big T »

Plenty of classic climbs in or near the Peak district. Holme Moss, Woodhead, The Strines, Snake Pass, Cat and Fiddle, Axe Edge and Gun Hill, to name a few.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
PW

Post by PW »

Sir William at Grindleford, Curbar Gap, Riber, any route out of the Derwent Valley near Matlock.........
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

Take 'The Struggle' out of Ambleside onto Kirkstone Pass.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Tan Inn by Kirkby Stephen 1700 ft, Buttertubs, over to Ingleton or Kettlewell in the Dales . Roads at the Head of Dentdale

in Bowland Cross of Greet , Waddington Fell

That should do you
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys, I knew you wouldn't let me down! :D

I did the Yorkshire Dales with the CycleSeven team last summer - Buttertubs, Kirkstone etc. Did the N York Moors and Rosedale Chimney a few years ago, and did Bowland Forrest loads of times as a teenager.

Never ever been to the Peak District, and only know the Lake District a bit, so those two places require me to explore!

I intend - though nothing's set in stone yet - to ride up to Lancs via my usual LEJOG route and stay with family, then "do" the Lakes, stay over again, then "do" the Peaks on my way southeast to Bedford - then home. I could do the Lakes over a day or three staying at a B+B/Pub so I can climb the hills without my heavy load, but do the Peaks on my way through fully loaded.

Time away will be the main concern, not the hills or the mileage.

Keep the ideas coming, and I'll try and work out some routes. Ta!
Mick F. Cornwall
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

Mick, Kirstone Pass is definately in the Lakes.
"Kirkstone Pass with an altitude of 1,489 feet is the Lake District's highest pass that is open to motor traffic. It connects Ambleside in the Rothay Valley to Patterdale in the Ullswater valley - the A592 road. There is another route from Troutbeck, which joins the Ambleside road at the Kirkstone Pass Inn.

In places, the gradient is 1 in 4. Brothers Water provides a picturesque view on the descent to Patterdale.

The Kirkstone Pass Inn stands close to the summit of the pass. Formerly an important coaching inn, it now caters primarily for tourists. It is the third highest public house in England." :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Millhouse wrote:Mick, Kirstone Pass is definately in the Lakes.
:oops: I meant Fleet Moss! Sorry. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
pau1ine

Post by pau1ine »

Hartside in the North Pennines.
Highest cafe in England at 1903ft at the top of the pass - what more could you ask for?
rickwiggans

Post by rickwiggans »

While in the Lakes, maybe take a look at Honister, Newlands and Whinlatter, in addition to those you mention.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

You could do the Fred Whitton Challenge Year round route. It starts in Coniston and takes in Hawkshead Hill, ( a gentle rise for your Cornish dwellers), Kirkstone pass via Holbeck Lane, Honister pass, Newlands pass, Whinlatter, Hardknot and Wrynose. In fact all six high passes plus loads of other stuff like Cold Fell. Approx 112 miles in total, a mere bagatelle for you Mick but a ride and a half for most of us. Your can check in at different points around the route and get a certificate if you want. Google Fred Whitton.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for that. Never heard of him!
Here's his route:
Fred Whitton Challenge.jpg

Funny really, I was playing on BikeHike and BRT earlier this afternoon and came up with this:
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=352462
Fairly similar don't you think- though a little shorter.
Mick F. Cornwall
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Good route Mick but you miss out Honister and Newlands. Both worth a few pedal strokes. You could include Honister and go straight on at Buttermere and pick up the route just past Lorton. You would miss out Newlands and Whinlatter but Honister will make up for that. Don't get carried away going down Honister towards Buttermere. Good men and women have lost lots of skin and bike bits going down that hill. In the FWC, the ambulances congregate there.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Mick F wrote:Funny really, I was playing on BikeHike and BRT earlier this afternoon and came up with this:

Honister is definitely a better route than Whinlatter.
Both Whinlatter and Newlands from the Keswick side are relatively non-challenging in Lake District pass terms. Going up the Struggle direct from Ambleside to Kirkstone is also much more of a challenge than going round onto the Windermere to Kirkstone road.
rickwiggans

Post by rickwiggans »

andrew_s wrote:
Mick F wrote:Funny really, I was playing on BikeHike and BRT earlier this afternoon and came up with this:

Honister is definitely a better route than Whinlatter.
Both Whinlatter and Newlands from the Keswick side are relatively non-challenging in Lake District pass terms. Going up the Struggle direct from Ambleside to Kirkstone is also much more of a challenge than going round onto the Windermere to Kirkstone road.

Agreed, but Newlands from Buttermere is a bit of a pull, even though short, and the Newlands valley is really nice. Also, if Whinlatter appeals, then there are some nice minor roads up it from the Lorton side. As posted above, Winlatter from Keswick side is a bit of a main road slog.