***BICYCLE HIRE IN HONG KONG***

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Kim Mitchell

***BICYCLE HIRE IN HONG KONG***

Post by Kim Mitchell »

Since returning to UK in 1999 I have taken up cycling and would love to have a day’s cycling when I am next there for a family anniversary in October. Although my wife is from HK and most of her family are still there not one of them could answer this question!

Could someone please advise on the best and safest way to get hold of a decently maintained quality bike for a day’s biking in the New Territories? I remember articles in the weekend South China Morning Post whilst I was there complaining about the appalling quality of hire bikes over at Plover Cove and High Island so I am a bit wary.

I am not into really serious MTB stuff - my UK bike is a decent Trek hybrid - but really looking forward to a quiet off-road weekday somewhere scenic but not incredibly hill; a bit of a contradiction in terms in HK!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Kim

nurgles

Post by nurgles »

Hi Kim
Just to let you and others know that I have pm'd you .Having lived here for 20 years I think I know all there is to know about cycling in HK an Southern China.

HK is not a bike friendly place but rides are possible.Dont forget to read the HK touring sheet which I did last year.

By the way am off to the Mainland again next week on my Brompton to see what bike bits I can find before finally leaving.

Phil
Kim Mitchell

Post by Kim Mitchell »

Thanks Phil.

Initially, I didn't understand 'pm'd you' but now see that it means Private Message and I assume that you mean the separate email that you sent me this morning - and which I have already replied to.

I would be very interested in reading your 'HK Touring Sheet' that you mention but where could I find it or see it, please?

Regards,

Kim