New Grand Tourer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
indy

New Grand Tourer

Postby indy » 23 Feb 2012, 5:04pm

Am wondering what the best way of going about finding and buying a new Grand Tourer in the mould of say the Dawes Super Galaxy is.

Have spent the last couple of days using Google to see what other makes and option I have but I've pretty much drawn a blank other than super expensive one-offs and the such like.

I'm not adverse to getting another Super G just really want to see what-else is available in terms of quality and cost.
Any advice would be appreciated.

rualexander

Re: New Grand Tourer

Postby rualexander » 23 Feb 2012, 5:32pm

Surly Long Haul Trucker, available in 700c or 26" wheel versions.
Thorn Club Tour (700c)
Thorn Sherpa (26")
Ridgeback Panorama
Ridgeback Journey
Ridgeback Voyage

horizon

Postby horizon » 23 Feb 2012, 7:45pm

I have but I've pretty much drawn a blank other than super expensive one-offs and the such like.

You could add something from Edinburgh Cycles and Byer Cycles but yes, there is very little to choose from.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

rollinbone

Postby rollinbone » 29 Feb 2012, 8:57am

Have you thought about a Koga Randonneur

Fleetfut

Postby Fleetfut » 29 Feb 2012, 1:44pm

Claud Butler Dalesman.

I'm biased though as i have one.

KM2

Postby KM2 » 29 Feb 2012, 2:00pm

How about a change tp something like a Peer Gynt recumbent?

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 29 Feb 2012, 2:37pm

There is such a thing as a Raleigh Royal still. I took a look at one the other day and I cannot recommend it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

snibgo

Postby snibgo » 29 Feb 2012, 4:47pm

Brucey wrote:There is such a thing as a Raleigh Royal still. I took a look at one the other day and I cannot recommend it.

Out of curiosity (I've never seen one) -- why not?

largeallan

Postby largeallan » 29 Feb 2012, 4:52pm

"There is such a thing as a Raleigh Royal still. I took a look at one the other day and I cannot recommend it."

I have a Raleigh Royal...what's not to recommend at the price? Ok, its not a super Galaxy by any stretch, but its served me well for thousands of miles loaded with camping gear. Its comfy for me pedalling all day, it goes like the clappers and its been nothing but reliable...for someone looking for good value, at a lower price point, I'd highly recommend it

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 29 Feb 2012, 5:45pm

OK, at the price it ain't that bad, but when I looked at it I thought it could have been far better even at the price. Obviously they change the spec all the time (plus you don't know if they had swapped parts about or not) so my criticisms don't necessarily apply to all versions.

The one I saw (a few days ago in Halfords of all places; they said they ended up with it 'by accident' BTW) had the following;

- a TIG welded steel frame with 'S' bend seatstays and chainstays. The S bends are pointless on a bike like this.
- it had spokes that clearly didn't fit the hubs properly so spoke failures are quite likely down the line.
-the hubs looked as if they had no seals on the bearings.
- STi shifters were fitted to the 3x8 transmission. They were attached to the wrong part of the handlebar altogether. Different shifters would have suited the bike better almost without doubt.
-for some weird reason mudguards over 50mm wide were fitted. Like big floppy sails...
- the saddle was a 'racing bike one' i.e. it was very narrow and hard.
- the chainset was designed to fit a bike with chainstays about 2" further apart, and the result was the worst Q factor I have ever seen on a bike with dropped handlebars. The cranks cleared the chainstays by 1.25" each side.
- the handlebars were 44cm wide racing drops. Not a very comfy bar for a touring bike.
-the chainline was set up so that the big ring lined up with cog #7 i.e. it was about 10mm or more out the wrong way.
- I think the rims were twin-wall single eyelet; OK but not the best choice.

On the plus side the tyres were schwalbe marathons which I thought remarkable. And the paint job was well-executed. I don't know if the frame geometry really made sense or not, but it didn't look disasterous by any means.

I thought it was a missed opportunity in terms of spec. If it cost £50 more and had the obvious flaws removed it'd be a bargain. At the same price without the STis but with the other flaws dealt with, even more so.

-just my two pence worth-

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

s2vmx

Postby s2vmx » 1 Mar 2012, 5:08pm

How about a Paul Hewitt ? - Highly recommended by myself and others. There are a number of specs to suit depth of pockets.

Stu

scottg

Postby scottg » 1 Mar 2012, 7:32pm

Soma Saga, goes for about $400. Soma is part of Merry Sales, the other big US bike source besides QBP-Surly.

http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/saga

Rawland, about $300, 700c and 650B wheels.
www.rawlandcycles.com
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++