Seatpost Rack for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
iviehoff

Re: Seatpost Rack for touring

Postby iviehoff » 29 Feb 2012, 3:31pm

You could look at the ultralight touring style of Slovenian rider Igor Kovse - there was an article by him in a recent CTC magazine, and he has a nice website, partly in English. http://www2.arnes.si/~ikovse/ In fact he has two: here's another one of his I haven't look at before, entirely in English. http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com/ Having had a quick look at it, you'd get a quicker intro with the second one.

He cuts luggage down to nearly nothing, and some of his tours have included camping. Certainly with his style of travelling this would be an adequate luggage carrier. A saddle bag + handlebar bag would do as well. He's a bit obsessive about it though, it isn't for everyone. I know someone else who has occasionally done a cycle-camping tour of the alps with just a saddlebag and handlebar bag, though she prefers a bit more comfort these days.

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 29 Feb 2012, 4:02pm

I once toured on my race bike caradice long flap,If you keep the bulk down and don't take anything you dont need. buy your food each day as you go you can manage with a rack pack/Saddle bag
NUKe

velo-city

Postby velo-city » 2 Mar 2012, 4:21pm

daddig wrote:One alternative,if you have not the panniers yet, would be a saddlebag(Carradice Nelson LongFlap) supported on a bagman,either quick release if your saddle doesn't have bag loops,or standard if it does. This will carry 10kg of kit. This is safer than a seat post rack!

I used one on my Bianchi road bike for a couple of trips before I started touring on a beefier bike with panniers. Works really well. Mine's in storage now otherwise I'd offer to lend it to you to try out on the trip.

daddig

Postby daddig » 3 Mar 2012, 5:21pm

Sorry to Carradice are the only ones to still make saddle bags of a decent size,expensive,but long lasting , mine has just been replaced after 10years almost continuos use. The old one is still serviceable,needs some sewing and one tiny wear hole,yours if you want it , you pay post or collect if your near enough to Westbourne,also have Bagman for a £10 if you have bag ?
Mike G
Mike G