New dilemma with pannier fittings on road bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jdudleyuk

New dilemma with pannier fittings on road bike

Post by jdudleyuk »

Ok...

Here's the deal.

I bought a bike thinking it had rear dropout eyelets, and it doesn't. I have purchased p-clips for the top end... But as for the dropout end - What would you suggest? I've been looking at the Tubus Adapter Set For QR-Axle Mounting Kit.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-adapter-set-for-qr-axle-mounting/

Is this going to be compatible for rack that isn't by the same company?

After I've done all of this, Will a standard pannier rack be up for taking a decent 10-12kg load?

PLEASE PLEASE say YES!!

Jason
daddig

Re: New dilemma with pannier fittings on road bike

Post by daddig »

I think the Tubus is likely to be the most suitable,though other racks may well fit. The skewer would hold the bottom half of your pannier frame secure!
Mike G
jdudleyuk

Post by jdudleyuk »

Well...

I've bought P-Clips for the top end and a tubus attachment kit for the bottom end to fit my standard pannier rack to my new road bike.

Hopefully I can keep the weight to around 7-8kg, as well as using a handle bar bag.

As the bike is entry-level, will it be up to the task??

Jason
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Most racks will take up to 25kg. Bike will be fine but you need a strong rear wheel and a decent size rear tyre. Which bike is it?
jdudleyuk

Post by jdudleyuk »

Bike is the Barracuda Sharpfin... Retails around the £300, but I've bought one for £165 by trading in my old bike ;)

I'm aware that the bike wont be particularly strong, but with an 'ultra-light' mind set, I'm guessing it should be ok?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The Tubus adapter can be used with any brand rack and is ok to use up to 30kg. Buy Tubus if you can afford it but honestly I'd most likely spend £25 on a Tortec Expedition - features nicked from Tubus but a third of the price with a five year warranty.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

foxyrider wrote:The Tubus adapter can be used with any brand rack and is ok to use up to 30kg.

Are you sure?

The Tubus rear racks have two holes at the dropout, which allows the QR plate to be solidly mounted to the rack with two bolts each side.
Fitting the plate to a rack with only one bolt each side would allow the adapter plate to swivel. Preventing swivel just with a tight bolt would not be reliable with loaded panniers and potholes. You may get away with a nut & bolt in the spare hole that braces against the rack leg, but that woukd depend on design.
jdudleyuk

Post by jdudleyuk »

Have managed to fit standard pannier rack with tubus adapter pack and p-clips...

Basically had to force it on - frame scratched to bits :x

Hopefully will hold up