Montpelier to the belgium coast

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
frank

Montpelier to the belgium coast

Post by frank »

Yesterday i got home after riding from monpelier to the Belgium coast then down into calais.
After leaving montpelier i decided to go via paris over to verdun then follow the ww1 trench line to the Belgium coast.
It took me 7 days to reach paris i just rode for around 10 hours a day and found a decent campsite on a night for a shower and to get my head down as the main purpose of my trip was the ww1 battlefields and to ride across france.
After finally getting out of paris i headed for verdun this was a couple of days ride ,
I got to verdun put my tent up and spent the night there i, took a ride round the battlefields the next morning and was emotionally drained by the time i left it was amazing but sad and very humbling.
I followed the front line over to the somme and spent a day looking round thiepval henin beaumont and the somme battlefields again i was overcome with emotion.
After visiting my grandfathers grave in Croissilles ww1 british war cemetery i headed over to ypres and put my tent up for the night.
I visited the museum in the cloth hall in ypres what a eye opener this was . i then headed over to poperinge and saw a cell where the condemed soldiers were held before they were shot at dawn. I then went outside to the courtyard and saw the post to which there were tied before being shot.
I then headed up the towpath beside the river isjer into dixmunde the River isjer was the front line in the war the germans on one side the belgians on the other. I then went to the museum in dixmunde it has 22 floors then after another 4 flights of stairs you go on the roof the view is amazing france england holland were all visible.
I then followed the river to the coast loads more monuments loads more war graves loads more emotionally soul searching.
Then road down the coast into calais and got the very home.

Best part of the journey i think was the sense of achievemnt after completing the journey.
The ww1 battlefields museums and graves (they are millions of them of all nations) will live with me forever and i will think twice about moaning coz im wet or cold. I intend to go back and spend a lot more time visiting these places.
Worst part was getting back into England and reliazing how ignorant the taxi and bus drivers are in central london.

All round it was one amazing journey Ahh well back to work
cjenn

Post by cjenn »

thank-you. if you'd like abook of accounts & letters written by scots in the trenches am happy to send it. you can keep it. overwhelming too. caroline
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

I am about to cycle round the ww1 sites in the Somme at Thriepval, the Vimy ridge, Contalmaison and would appreciate some information about the book you mention. I will also be visiting a relative's grave at Bethune.
cjenn

Post by cjenn »

'Forgotten Scottish Voices from the Great War' by Derek Young, who teaches @ Dundee Uni. tempus publ.

they wrote well in those days, all the young soldiers from varied walks of life. no pathos, but wit, realism, compassion, amazement & stoicism.

you're welcome to borrow mine, but since it was a present, shall have to have it back eventually.

caroline
frank

Post by frank »

Andy
If you require a good cheap campsite on the somme it is called Les Galets. It is in auchonvilliers it cost 4 euro per night and you have a shower and toilets. The lady who owns it is english her sister Avril Williams owns the Auchonvilliers tea rooms in the centre of the village and does a great english fry up. She also has trenches on her land you can visit.

:P Have the courage to live your dreams :D
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

Thanks. I'm planning to stay in the Ocean Villas tearooms operated by said Avril Williams. Carrying a tent would be too much luggage. I got the "Scottish Voices" book from Amazon for £5. Have researched quite a bit and will visit le Tommy tearooms and shell crater north of Albert - happy to et any other advice.

Regards

Andy
Edinburgh
frank

Post by frank »

Andy
When you come out of the tea rooms go left and you will come to the main crossroads for the village. Turn right here and about two minutes down the road on your left is a monument to the scottish it is hidden so keep an eye out for it.
If you go into a village called longueval its only about 15 mins ride from the crater at la boisselle, You will find delville wood on the outskirts of the villiage, In the centre of the village of Longueval is a monument to all the scottish regiments well worth a look.
The best maps are the michelin local maps they have all the war graves and memorials on the map. I think the best one for you is number 302. Hope this helps