Route Suggestions Denmark to Florence Italy

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
daddig

Route Suggestions Denmark to Florence Italy

Post by daddig »

My partner and I are looking for route suggestions cycling from Herning Denmark to Florence Italy. We will be camping as we go and hope to travel around 60-80km per day.Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Mike G
nirakaro

Re: Route Suggestions Denmark to Florence Italy

Post by nirakaro »

If you enter Italy at the Brenner pass - which looks like your obvious route - there's a cycle route from there to Florence; google 'ciclopista del sole'. Roughly Bolzano-Trento-Verona-Bologna-Florence. I believe it's not yet signposted, but there are guide books to it with maps. Only in Italian, but the maps still work!
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

I suggest you experiment in bikeroutetoaster.com with auto routing switched on using the OSM option.

My suggestion is to head via Odense to Gedser and then get the Ferry to Rostock in Germany then follow the excellent cycle route to Berlin D11 (I have done this)

Then follow routes D11 and D10 to Dresden. Then continue to Prague (D10 and then Czech route 2) (I have done this and it is good) . From Prague head to Munich following the Prague to Munich cycle route, again have done this and recommend it.

Not been further than Munich myself but from a map I suggest Innsbruck,Trento, Verona , Florence.

Alternatively

There is a European Cycle route 7 http://www.friefugle.dk/Eurovelo_rute_7.pdf which is simialr, accept it goes from Prague to Satzberg rather than to Munich
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

daddig wrote:...looking for route suggestions cycling from Herning Denmark to Florence Italy..

Hi Mike,
I did something like that in September 2010. You can find a few notes on this trip, unfortunately in Italian, at the following link:
From Sweden to Italy-2010
Once in Milano I think that isn't very simple to go to Florence...unless you accept to take a train.
As an alternative you might point East to Munich-Innsbruck-Brenner Pass and then follow South in the direction of Bolzano,Trento, Mantova, Ferrara, Bologna, Firenze.

However. here below, "my" main directions to arrive to Milano:

SWEDEN
- from Lund to Helsingborg: via cycle paths and/or normally very low traffic roads
DENMARK
- from Helsingør to Stege: Cycle National Route n. 9
- from Stege to Kollund: Cycle National Route n. 8
GERMANY
- from Flensburg to Husum: via cycle paths and/or normally very low traffic roads
- from Husum to Glückstadt: Nordseeküsten-Radweg 3
- from Wischhafen to Bremervörde-Verden: via cycle paths and/or normally very low traffic roads
- from Verden to Hann.Münden: Weser-Radweg
- from Hann.Münden to Schlitz: Fulda-Radweg
- from Schlitz to Altenstadt: Vulkan-Radweg
- from Altenstadt to Mainz: Hohe Strasse, Main-Radweg
- from Mainz to Jockgrim-Karlsruhe: Rhein-Radweg
FRANCE
- from Lauterbourg to Huningue: Rhein-Radweg, Canal du Rhône au Rhin
SWITZERLAND
- from Basilea-Olten to P.te Tresa: Swiss National Route North-South n.3
ITALY
- from P.te Tresa to Milano: via cycle paths and/or normally very low traffic roads (statale lago Maggiore fino a Sesto Calende, ciclabile del Ticino, ciclabile della Martesana, ecc.)
daddig

Post by daddig »

Thank you for your advice,food for thought!
Mike G
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

I would suggest that Kerning to Florence gives you the potential to visit most of Europe either going east or west - or for that matter straight down - if you have the time - Ive cycled the other way La Spezia to Fredrickshaven but I had to make a bit of a dogleg to get to the start and to get home
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Hi Mike,
here below a few additional suggestions:
MILANO-FIRENZE
STEP 1: from Milano to Fidenza … needs further investigation
STEP 2: from Fidenza to Bologna, 144 km
STEP 3: from Bologna to Firenze, 122 km

Here at the Italian forum http://www.ilcicloviaggiatore.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=3444 we're happy to support and help you ...as much as we can of course :roll: