Epic UK Ride

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mcallaghan

Re: Epic UK Ride

Post by mcallaghan »

I am leaving (for the most part) the LEJOG planning up to my Uncle as he will be coming with me and lives in the UK. I am more worried about when I head off Solo.

I've fully planned my 4 days in Wales - Cardiff to Holyhead - mostly along NCN Route #8. I take the alternative route at one point (I think its #84 - can check my map later to confirm) to stick along the coast (sorta of) with apparently a challenging climb or two thrown in. I'm doing it for the views - and as preparation for my Ireland segment which might involve Healy Pass (or not - still deciding).

At any rate, I will be in the UK two weeks from tuesday! Its amazing how fast this summer went - from thoughts to planning to almost time to go! Still so much to do and so little time. Namely, figuring out my final Ireland route and daily mileage. I think tomorrow will be a day devoted to that, and gotta get a ride in too. Silly Olympics on TV....
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

And my entire trip is in jeopardy right now thanks to the UPS mail service.

My mom mailed my passports out to me. They were due to arrive yesterday (I've only been here since November, so hadn't brought passports with me). I was here all day. Nothing arrived.

Called her today. Tracking number etc says it was delivered to front door. Nadda. Nothing. I walked around the house today, checked the back door. I sit within about 10 yards of the front door on my computer. Didn't hear a knock. My roomies guard dog - barks at everything - didn't bark at all during the time it was supposedly delivered.

So, 10 days and no passport. Thank you UPS...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Follow this up with UPS. Was a signature required? Are they insured?

If that doesn't help, it may be possible to obtain an emergency passport, but you will have to report the old one(s) lost or stolen.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

In the process of doing so right now. My mom is the one who sent it, so she has the tracking number etc and is communicating with them.

No signature was required. I was home all day, never heard a knock on the door. Sitting at my computer (was doing research or watching tv, all in same place) with windows open, can hear the mailman on the gravel outside even with music playing. Never heard a thing. My roomies dog also barks (loudly) whenever some one is on the driveway. Dog never did so around supposed delivery time.

My roomie hasn't responded to text or phonecall (seeing if he picked anything up - he has same name as me) but he is working today. Doubt he found anything as he would have said something.

Which means I am royally screwed right now. The only place I can get a new passport is 6 hours away, and I don't have a car or other method of getting there. Certainly can't get there to pick up a new passport or anything. I think I can file the forms at the Postal Office locally, but I also don't have any of the other stuff - like birth certificate - out here as its all kept with the rest of the families on the other side of the country from where I am.

I am starting to fume now....probably going to punch something later if its truly lost and my trip goes down the [rude word removed].
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Disaster averted.

They delivered to wrong house. Neighbor been gone all afternoon yesterday and all today, just came by with my package and passports! A day wasted but at least my trip is still alive!
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

I've lost track of your planned route in Ireland if you have one.
But if you find yourself in the Belfast / Co. Down area and need assistance/support/advice/wifi connection/cup of coffee etc just let me know
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I'm still in the planning stages and might be avoiding Belfast all together (taking a more inland route) but if there are areas around Belfast that are a MUST SEE I can be convinced. I've actually got my route planned from Dublin down to Mizen Head and then up as far as Galway. Everything North of Galway seems a little scarce when it comes to camp sites, thus my delay in plotting out a route to Malin Head and from Malin Head down to Dublin. I'll post my (finalized) Lon Las Cymru route tomorrow (MST) for viewing pleasure and the first 10 days of the Irish route.
jags

Post by jags »

glad you got your passport sorted. when you get to ireland just wing it you will enjoy the craic better believe me, and as i said on another forum do the healy pass it's not the rockies r the alps but great never theless :wink:
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Ok. The final Wales route:

4 Days to get from Cardiff to Holyhead.

Day 1: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=437232
Day 2: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=432077
Day 3: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=432078
Day 4: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=432079

Those are set in stone, so I am not changing them anymore at this point.

The tricky part right now is the finale of the Irish trip. The first 9 days from Dublin down south then to Galway are easy enough, but I am encountering a decided lack-of-campsites north of Galway. Mileage distances that worked in the South need to be extended by about 20 miles in most cases (which would be pushing it on a good day) so I contemplating if I just try my hand at WildCamping North of Galway or find some alternative...
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

For those who want to follow along while I am on my travels, this is the blog (also linked in signature): cyclowanderer.wordpress.com

I will be able to update it almost daily during the LEJOG but once I go solo through Wales and Ireland it might be every few days, depending on WiFi Campsites and the like.

I leave on Monday and arrive on Tuesday in the UK, with Day 1 of the LEJOG scheduled for Thursday of this coming week! Starting to get nervous/anxious on my end, finalizing plans and writing down important information!
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Thanks for all the advice and help guys. I head to the airport here in a few hours and will arrive in the UK at noon, local time, on Tuesday. Thursday is Day 1 of the LEJOG so wish me luck!
jags

Post by jags »

yes have a great tour lets hope the weather will be kind to you. :wink:
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Hot and Humid (compared to living in a High Alpine Desert) upon arrival. Went to bed around 10PM after long day of travel, but now its 4AM and I can't sleep anymore. Thursday morning will be waking up at this time to begin the journey to Lands End, of course, so going to try and doze some more. Going to have a busy day packing, hoping bike is assembled at a reasonable time, and going over the route. Once it gets light out, I'm going to get out of bed and walk around the canal (in Leighton Buzzard right now) and take some pictures.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

My entire trip is in jeopardy right now. Day 1 in gale force winds saw my first crash nothing serious but then 5 miles from the end of the 40 mile route both thighs cramped beyond reason. Came upon me suddenly and felt like knives were being stuck into my thighs. Happened once a month or two ago on a 45 mile ride a few miles from the end it this time I stopped before the pain got as bad as the first time. Had to get a taxi ride to finish the day off. Not sure if it's a cramp or something else as it effects both legs at same spot at same time. Took a train today from Camborne to bath to get 2 days ahead. Not used to everything closing at 1700 so will rent a car tomorrow and ship my bike back to uncles house hopefully. Not going to be able to do more then 35 miles a day with legs that still hurt so will support uncle instead. Really ruined all my plans as Wales and Ireland solo were planned after the lejog.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sorry to hear. Could it be a problem with the set up on the bike? I'd suspect saddle adjustment, if it's bothering both legs. Maybe a bike shop could help?

best of luck.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom