The frustration of a (long distance) bike buyer...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ambler

Re: The frustration of a (long distance) bike buyer...

Post by Ambler »

I went over last year and they had stock of various sizes which I rode. I could have bought there and then any that suited. In the end went for a s galaxy - £500 cheaper at the time. They spent time with me getting it to fit and I took it away.
Great service.

I did phone beforehand to make sure time would be available. I think best to pick a quiet day.
RonK

Post by RonK »

Think you're a long distance buyer? I'm in Oz.

I bought a Sabbath Silk Route Ti frame from Fatbirds, and a Columbus Tusk Trekking carbon fork from Ceeway. Fatbirds also offer a complete bike. Lovely.

But then I decided I liked the Van Nicholas Pioneer Rohloff better.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Friend bought a spa Ti over the phone and it has been perfect for him.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Big T

Post by Big T »

Never been to either, but Roberts Cycles and Condor Cycles do their own brand of touring bikes and are both in London.

I had the same problem when looking for tourers for myself and my wife. I was lucky in that my LBS had one Ridgeback Panorama in stock, at a decent price and in my size, so I bought it. We got my wife's Dawes Horizon from Spa. All sorted in one trip - we went to the shop in the morning, tried out a few bikes - Karakum, Horizon, Galaxy - she picked the one she wanted and they asked us to call back in a couple of hours after they had prepared the bike.

No post sale issues arose with either bike (but them I'm a reasonably competent home mechanic and sorted any minor issues myself).

Others to consider might be Byercycles in Bedfordshire, or Mercian in Derby. Mercians certainly have built up tourers in stock, but they aren't cheap. Edison in Clowne (north Derbys), Vernon Barker (near Chesterfield) or Bob Jackson in Leeds.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
tonupgilly

Post by tonupgilly »

I bought a Thorn Nomad from SJS Cycles. Their service is brilliant and they will fit the bike to you, plus you can choose the components you want. Someone already mentioned - you get 100 days to try the bike - if you don't like it - return it. You can also get an S&S coupler fitted so you can fold the bike if you want, although it does add about £700 to the price. I didn't. I paid around £2400 for the Nomad, including front and rear racks, Rohloff hub, hub dynamo and head light, comfort bars and grips and other items I specified. I think the base price is around £1800. Worth looking at their site if you haven't already.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Re the main point, there being no ultra Galaxys in London, I think maybe the time of year is the thing. Up here in Edinburgh, they have 4 or 5 tourers in Edinburgh Bicycle but the 2012 stuff arrives in Spring, I think, ready for selling as the weather improves. Your Ultra situation may change in the coming weeks. Also, if the evans staff are reluctant to move stock around for you to view, you can probably request this online, on their website. Then you can view incognito, once you know they have the bike in the shop.
loafer

Post by loafer »

RonK wrote:Think you're a long distance buyer? I'm in Oz.

I bought a Sabbath Silk Route Ti frame from Fatbirds, and a Columbus Tusk Trekking carbon fork from Ceeway. Fatbirds also offer a complete bike. Lovely.

But then I decided I liked the Van Nicholas Pioneer Rohloff better.

:mrgreen: those are very nice bike :mrgreen: got mine local arthur caygill in richmond love it to bits :D
indy

Post by indy »

RonK wrote:I bought a Sabbath Silk Route Ti frame from Fatbirds, and a Columbus Tusk Trekking carbon fork from Ceeway. Fatbirds also offer a complete bike. Lovely.

Now thats one of the most dammit gorgeous bikes I've ever had the pleasure to lay my eyes on...... thanks for posting!

If it aint a rude question whats the ball park cost of it?
indy

Post by indy »

I guess if I boil this down its going to come down to a LBS and a very small discount say 10% on the accessories but all that LBS love & TLC or go to a place like Spa and others for a days fitting etc and get a much better and noticeable discount on the bike but losing any LBS love & TLC.

I'm sure most people here will and can understand that monies tight at the moment and getting a good deal on the UG is a determining factor in actually getting the bike.

I've spoken to 2 LBS that I feel on the same wavelength with is it considered rude to ask them to match say a Spa* price (not the cheapest Dawes approved dealer price BTW!) on the bike? Is the price I'm being offered lower because I won't be getting the 'free' tune-up services etc?

FOR THE RECORD>>>>> I'm mentioning 'Spa' as a GENERIC decent authorised dealer rather than have to list all the various Dawes authorised dealers I've spoken to.
johnb

Post by johnb »

Your money, your choice. You have had a good amount of good advice on this thread so far, enough that you should be able to make an informed decision on what and where.

As Brucey said Touring Bikes and dealers are a niche market, that says it all I think.

If I was looking for a top class suit of clothes made and could afford it, I would be heading to Saville Row, if I wanted something cheap and cheerful just to get me by I would go to Burtons.

Each to their own.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
sexy wheels

Post by sexy wheels »

If you have £2000 to spend then try Roberts Cycles in Croydon or Condor Cycles in London. You can talk to someone human and knows alot about bikes. The down side you may have to wait 8 weeeks.
RonK

Post by RonK »

indy wrote:
RonK wrote:I bought a Sabbath Silk Route Ti frame from Fatbirds, and a Columbus Tusk Trekking carbon fork from Ceeway. Fatbirds also offer a complete bike. Lovely.

Now thats one of the most dammit gorgeous bikes I've ever had the pleasure to lay my eyes on...... thanks for posting!

If it aint a rude question whats the ball park cost of it?

Thanks - if you are interested it's worth having a look at the Sabbath web site. It's available in three difference polish levels, mine is the standard satin matt finish. Other items that help set it off are the Honjo hammered fenders from Velo-Orange and the stainless steel Tubus racks.

I don't know the exact figure, but bearing in mind this is an up-spec custom build and I imported all the components into Oz, the cost was around $3500AUD

Retail in the UK is around 2000GBP for a complete bike, but Spa has them at a good discount. BTW, the OEM fork is a steel Surly item but I reckoned a frame like this deserved better and sourced a carbon Columbus Tusk Trekking fork from Ceeway.

To tantalise you further, here is a picture of the bike on tour in New Zealand.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

right, that's it. I am outahere and on my bike - I wish :D
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

RonK wrote:this deserved better and sourced a carbon Columbus Tusk Trekking fork from Ceeway.
That's a nice fork!That Sabbath looks like it wouldn't be much heavier than my road-bike-as-tourer set up, but a whole lot stronger. Nice work. Matching panniers too!
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

indy wrote:I've spoken to Spa of Harrogate (and couple of other well known dealers) who offered me a good price BUT its a days travel...

It seems a little ironic not to be willing to travel to collect a touring bike. ;)

I did a 500 mile round trip in my wife's car on a Saturday morning to collect my bike from Spa. a) because the price was exceptional (a lot more than £110 cheaper than anywhere else), and b) just to see for myself this shop that everyone kept going on about. Isn't that what travelling's all about? The bike was set up perfectly and I can do most of the after-sales tweaks for myself (and if I can't my rather more LBS can).

I was tempted by other bikes (particularly Sabbath and Hewett) but I knew I always wanted a Galaxy and would never be certain I'd made the right decision if I bought anything else.
E25