Rear view mirrors?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
horizon

Re: Rear view mirrors?

Postby horizon » 26 Mar 2012, 11:11am

We've got two issues here:

1. Fitting a suitable mirror.
2. Using it.

Can I just say for those who might be interested that a Blackburn mirror fitted to drops and secured with the velcro strap is firmly secure, vibrates little, is at exactly the right angle, is not obscured in any way and is entirely effective as a mirror. You don't have to believe me and there are many people who simply are not interested. That's absolutely fine by me.

The mirror has IMV excellent visibility and picks out cars easily from a distance. It also picks out cars that you cannot hear - really useful on country lanes where one car suddenly catches up with another and the noise of one obscures the other. I find it hugely useful. IMV a mirror enables a cyclist to relate to, respond to and force a response from drivers that isn't anywhere near as possible without one. You may not agree.

The only thing I really wouldn't want anyone to do is, not having used such a mirror, give the impression to new cyclists that they aren't beneficial.

(Note: this is a response to the mirrors question in general and not to stewart's post.)
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 26 Mar 2012, 12:43pm

stewartpratt wrote: When in the drops, it's obscured by my wrist and also gets annoyingly in the way (since the joint is in the middle of the mirror rather than at the top - so it protrudes upwards). When on the hoods, I can see the mirror, but on my bars the mirror won't angle up enough to let me see anything other than a patch of tarmac just behind me. The most I could ever see from my normal riding position was the nearside wheels of cars as they passed.

Obviously it depend on your individual equipment, set-up and riding position. I rarely ride on the tops but if I do I can see the mirror if I move my right elbow out slightly. Riding on my compact drops I have my hands forward a little, towards the bend, and I still can see it perfectly without adjusting anything. I have slim wrists and hands, though. I mostly ride on the hoods and could point it to the sky if I really wanted to. The plug that goes into the bar end is asymetrical - are you sure you didn't fit it upside down?

stewartpratt

Postby stewartpratt » 26 Mar 2012, 12:53pm

LollyKat wrote:The plug that goes into the bar end is asymetrical - are you sure you didn't fit it upside down?

Yup, I did check, it had less range of adjustment in the opposite direction.

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 26 Mar 2012, 2:29pm

Hmm, don't know then....[shrugs]. Mine fits like this one here of Mick F's (scroll down):

stewartpratt

Postby stewartpratt » 26 Mar 2012, 2:36pm

Yup, looks the same. The ends of my bars point a little downwards.

cross check by stewartpratt, on Flickr

Ambler

Postby Ambler » 26 Mar 2012, 4:09pm

I tried the B &M and found the same as you.
That's why I got the Mirrycle.

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 26 Mar 2012, 5:19pm

My handlebars are level with the saddle which probably makes the difference.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 26 Mar 2012, 8:08pm

My 'bars are a little below level. However, the B+M mirror will adjust through quite a lot of angle, so angle of the 'bars isn't an issue at all.

If you read my thread - referred to above - you'll see the Reohn2 has way wider 'bars then I have. Maybe the angle of the "arms-to-'bars" tends to mask the mirrors.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Sep 2012, 9:59am

Mick F wrote:If you read my thread - referred to above - you'll see the Reohn2 has way wider 'bars then I have. Maybe the angle of the "arms-to-'bars" tends to mask the mirrors.

I must've missed or ignored this thread I can't think which :wink:
Anyway,despite what MickF says the Cateye "racing"mirror is good kit and doesn't move when on the move if it's tightened up enough.
It folds up when parked,and is pretty much indestructable.
I carry two of these and have the bar end plug bit fitted to both sides on the tandem we take abroad,the spare mirror bit is kept in the bag just in case it's needed.The mirror bit can be easily removed from the plug bit by slackening off the screw so it releases the ball joint.
It is obstructed partially by my arm when riding (44cm solo bars and 46cm tandem)on the hoods but on the drops or tops I have a clear view.
It cannot be used with Bar end levers or on b/fly bars,which is it's only limitation but is good for all other h'bars.

I find a RVM a boon and have been using one for about 10years,I wouldn't like to cycle without mine.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

swscotland bentrider

Postby swscotland bentrider » 10 Sep 2012, 4:37pm

It was only when I got a 'bent that I began to use mirrors (almost a necessity). Very quickly reached a stage where I dislike riding any bike in traffic without one. How did I ever think a look over my shoulder was enough? Not least the fact that when you look behind (properly) you have taken your attention away from what is in front of you. Like one poster I am now trying to find a solution to fitting a mirror on my butterfly bar'd tourer. I've also used "Take a Look" glasses mounted mirrors and they work well. You do rather look like a demented dentist though!

tomp734444

Postby tomp734444 » 10 Sep 2012, 5:07pm

I use one of these http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-Cycling-Eyeglass-Mirror/dp/B001VTQNVO and have found it to be just fine. Good visibility, no shake and can be used both left and right-handed.
It is better to travel than to arrive.

Ambler

Postby Ambler » 10 Sep 2012, 5:42pm

Here's my B & M cyclestar which never moves and gives a good perspective view.
When I had drops I used a mirrcycle on the hoods which was also excellent.
Image Attachments
Bike Mirror.jpg

dalifnei

Postby dalifnei » 16 Sep 2012, 3:55am

This thread was worth searching for... I was about to ask about mirrors!

One thing, having read through all the posts, that I'm still not sure about is -

if I fit a bar end mirror (to my straight handlebars), will I be able to see past myself to see anything useful?
Or if I fit one that sticks out a bit, will I still be able to squeeze through the queue of stationary morning traffic?

There's a few stretches where cars regularly pass unexpectedly and close (always on the same stretches for some reason) and a mirror would be very useful... I'm too easily startled!

alanesq

Postby alanesq » 16 Sep 2012, 10:00am

I have two mirrors on my bike and find them very handy for seeing what the vehicle behind is up to etc.
BUT if you do have a mirror it is vital that you never let yourself start relying on it (i.e. not looking behind when turning etc.) as there will always be a blind spot which will eventually catch you out otherwise

horizon

Postby horizon » 16 Sep 2012, 10:19am

dalifnei wrote:This thread was worth searching for... I was about to ask about mirrors!

One thing, having read through all the posts, that I'm still not sure about is -

if I fit a bar end mirror (to my straight handlebars), will I be able to see past myself to see anything useful?
Or if I fit one that sticks out a bit, will I still be able to squeeze through the queue of stationary morning traffic?

There's a few stretches where cars regularly pass unexpectedly and close (always on the same stretches for some reason) and a mirror would be very useful... I'm too easily startled!

I don't find the mirror position on straight bars that good - it is too far to the right and too close to the body line. The position on drops however is IMV perfect. In fact I would go as far to say that it is a sufficient reason to use drops.

You do have to be careful about the mirror sticking out and also breakage, but the extra hassle is unbelievably worth it.
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)