Bike Bags on EasyJet

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
craign74

Bike Bags on EasyJet

Postby craign74 » 28 Mar 2012, 1:10pm

Hi,

Forgive me if this has been covered in previous threads (I'd be surprised if it hasn't) I'm flying from Edinburgh to Geneva in June to start a Rhine Cycle Route ride from Andermatt to Rotterdam, I've already got emails (that I'll take to the airport) from EasyJet saying that the C2C Poly Bike Bag is ok to use. I'll be removing the pedals and turning the handle bars. My question is, do I need to remove the wheels?

Many Thanks
Craig

stephenjubb

Re: Bike Bags on EasyJet

Postby stephenjubb » 28 Mar 2012, 2:23pm

usually no, only when putting it a cardbox usually. removing the wheels will be worse, potential damage to your forks and those same forks may get jammed when making its way through to the plane. the wheels will ensure minimal sharp edges

John Holiday

Postby John Holiday » 28 Mar 2012, 8:37pm

Have flown with my bike on Easy Jet on a number of occasions from different airports using the CTC polythene bag.
Have always had to turn bars,remove pedals & let air from tyres,but not remove wheels.
However,this year will be flying from Southampton on flybe & their requirement appears to include removing front wheel.

Cyclenut

Postby Cyclenut » 28 Mar 2012, 9:28pm

Removing the front wheel and putting the saddle fully down does help. If it gets the height of the package under 1m - and that usually does - it'll then fit the outsize baggage conveyor. Bigger than that and manual handling is required, which costs EasyJet money, so the check-in staff may be incentivised to find spurious reasons to refuse your baggage. Manual handling also takes more time, so it increases the admittedly small chance (if you check in really early) of your bike missing your flight - which is very inconvenient.

See here (scroll down to Packing Tips) for comprehensive advice, e.g. how to prevent your forks getting crushed when there's no wheel between them, how to stop them using your rear mech to bend your gear hanger, etc. etc!
Chris Juden (at home and not asleep)

RichardPH

Postby RichardPH » 29 Mar 2012, 10:26am

My tips to add to the others..

1) Put the rear mech in the largest cog and the front also on the big ring to try and keep the chain taut. Fold a piece of cardboard such that it will fit snugly between the derailleur hanger and the spokes of the rear wheel and tape in place. Support from the spokes prevents the hanger being loaded and bent by impacts, I actually witnessed my bike being flung from the aircraft hold down onto the luggage trolley {Birmingham Airport handlers!].

2) The baggage handling conveyor barcode readers require the label to be facing upwards, therefore make sure the sticker is put on the derailleur side of the bike-bag ensuring it will make the journey with the less vulnerable side downwards.

3) Remove any add-ons made of plastic that may get cold in the [unheated] aircraft hold and become brittle, lots of bits broken on my bike this way before I made the connection.

4) Leave one pannier on the LHS of the bike with any stuff you can't take in the cabin and other bike related bits, this will offer some crash-padding, use the other pannier or lightweight 'laundry-bags' for carry-on luggage and clothes

hope this helps

craign74

Postby craign74 » 29 Mar 2012, 5:08pm

Thanks for the replies, never thought about letting the air out of my tyres. I'll have both of my panniers in an old sports bag which I'll dump at Geneva airport, I've got a packable 20l Eurohike daysack that I'll use for my hand luggage / valuables.

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 30 Mar 2012, 5:16am

And my six-pennyworth:
1. The link above, posted by cyclenut: I followed the advice given and it worked well. However, to add to that advice, if you look at the picture in the link, the forward facing brake lever could also do with padding too, as this is where my bike received minor damage (but that was the only damage). I have bar end shifters - the protective tubing is ESSENTIAL (or similar) to prevent damage. Make sure the tubing is securely in place and can't ride up the handlebars, thus leaving the shifter tips exposed.
2. Nice tips RichardCH: not sure about leaving the LH rear pannier bag in place though - I seem to recall that the EasyJet T's&C's forbade the attachment of such items, although I'm not sure, but worth a check. Nice idea though if you can do this.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

CJ

Postby CJ » 30 Mar 2012, 11:41am

craign74 wrote:Thanks for the replies, never thought about letting the air out of my tyres.

And you don't even WANT to think about it - unless some ignorant numbskull at check-in makes you.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.

craign74

Postby craign74 » 30 Mar 2012, 2:20pm

CJ wrote:
craign74 wrote:Thanks for the replies, never thought about letting the air out of my tyres.

And you don't even WANT to think about it - unless some ignorant numbskull at check-in makes you.

Even better, I'll just say I have if asked. I'll have enough do when I get to Geneva as it is without having to pump tyres up.

ruffstuffbob

Postby ruffstuffbob » 30 Mar 2012, 8:38pm

Bike bags on aircraft are an "old chestnut for me" but last Tues I flew back from Pisa to Lds/Bfd. on Ryanair and am now in the midst of sorting out a claim for a bent large Chainweel
They don't make it easy to do this however even though I took out their insurance. I now put mine in a standard canvas type bike bag with cardboard, bubble wrap and insulation piping for protection and has worked for me 3 times running but not this time. A fellow cyclist whom I talked to to-day advised me to use a small piece of wood with a groove sawed into the middle then wedged in the teeth of the bottom part of the chainwheel and maybe secured with a strap, sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try next time. Bob.J.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 30 Mar 2012, 8:53pm

What do you do with all that packing? Do you lug it around with you, throw it away and replace it, or put it in an airport locker and retreive it when you fly back?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 30 Mar 2012, 10:43pm

ruffstuffbob wrote:
A fellow cyclist whom I talked to to-day advised me to use a small piece of wood with a groove sawed into the middle then wedged in the teeth of the bottom part of the chainwheel and maybe secured with a strap, sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try next time. Bob.J.

I can't quite picture that arrangement in my mind's eye - do you have any pics? My immediate thought is that the wood attached to the chainwheel presents an even bigger 'strike area' thus making damage more likely?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 30 Mar 2012, 10:56pm

Just be aware, we flew out o fManchester 2 weeks ago and those with bikes were being charged excess baggage for their bikes. EJ website; sporting kit is up to 12kg but with bikes not included in this as there is no weight restriction. This is not what was actually happening on the day, with one chap being charged nearly £130 excess! So mkae sure you have downloads of the policy.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Miguel Evans

Postby Miguel Evans » 31 Mar 2012, 12:25pm

I flew Bristol to Corsica 2 years ago with easijet and they were fine. Bike went in a CTC polybag, with pedals off and bars dropped and turned. I left the air in the tyres, but one of the wheels was slightly buckled - nothing I couldn't fix. I found easijet really efficient and easy.
The really funny thing was coming back from Corsica when the check in staff insisted I put the bike on the conveyor. It of course got stuck, but the door kept dropping down on it like a guillotine. I wasn't too bothered, but the two french ladies with their really expensive tourers went into a state of shock.
I'm trying Vuelta from Cardiff in a couple of weeks, so fingers crossed.

ruffstuffbob

Postby ruffstuffbob » 31 Mar 2012, 6:05pm

I usually fly back from a diff. Airport so I have to take the bike bag from home. It's not light I suppose but I use it for extra warmth when camping. The protective insulating tubing and bubble wrap I take with me, they are bulky but light. I use these for both flights. The large pieces of cardboard are obtained from shops, skips etc.just before flying [ both journeys] and dumped immediately after the flights. I fold it as neccessary and secure it with bungy cords. Makes for a wide load so I have to be careful when riding the bike. It has worked for me on two tours now except for this last one when I incurred the damage to my chainwheel. On this subject may I add a little more advice. I was in arrivals for around an hour putting my bike back together after the flight back and the place was empty when I managed to get someone to let me out and it wasn't until I was down the road when I changed gear that I noticed the damage to the chainwheel. I continued the 5 miles back home. On claiming for the damage [I also took out Ryanairs Insurance] I was told that I needed a Property Irregularity Report from a member of staff at the airport BEFORE LEAVING so that I could make a claim [with 7 days]. Next time I will have to check the bike over as soon as I can and of course, before leaving the airport. I will also make sure I plaster the bag with lots of FRAGILE, TAKE CARE signs next time. I agree, sounds like a lot polava [is that how you spell it] but flying gets you to great cycling areas quickly, worth the effort. Bob .J.