Manche to Med Routes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DaveyDave

Manche to Med Routes

Post by DaveyDave »

Hi All,
I wonder whether anyone knew of any resources suggesting routes for the top-to-bottom traverse of France. Realistically, I'd like to start at Calais and end somewhere where I can get a flight back to Gatwick/Heathrow. I love mountainous scenery but I don't really want to over-do it with a loaded bike so Alpine passes are probably out!.

I have the 'Wine-ding Down Through France' book which has a documented route which I'm currently digesting, but I guess there must be other typically-used routes.

Any pointers would be useful - Thanx,
Regards,
Dave
Barrenfluffit

Re: Manche to Med Routes

Post by Barrenfluffit »

The route varies significantly with which channel port you use. I've been looking for something similar. There is a rough on line itenary from Bike Adventures, enfield senior's book and trawling through "crazy guy on a bike". The latter being hard work due to the way routes are categorised.

If you want hills then the Massiff Centrale / Clermont Ferrat is the way to go. Or buy a whole of france map, blu tak it to the wall and go from there!