Tour of gods own county?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
al_yrpal

Tour of gods own county?

Postby al_yrpal » 5 Apr 2012, 5:16pm

My pal and I are thinking of touring Yorkshire in the summer. Being a lazy blighter are there any recommended good scenic routes to do in 5 days or so? Plan is to dump car in a camp site next to a big tent or find somewhere to park up for 5 days then cycle camp covering 45 to 50 miles a day, don't mind hills but not continuously hilly.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

thirdcrank

Re: Tour of gods own county?

Postby thirdcrank » 5 Apr 2012, 5:23pm

I can't recommend a particular route but I'd suggest the area to go for is the Vale of York. Everything is reasonably flat to the east of the A1, so long as you don't stray as far north as the North York Moors. The Howardian Hills "twixt" York and the Moors is pleasant rolling countryside and mainly unspoilt by today's standards.

dodger

Postby dodger » 5 Apr 2012, 7:40pm

That's funny; I thought you were talking about God's own county. Kernow (Cornwall) of course!

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 5 Apr 2012, 8:14pm

Counties are so very last year. Watch the Harold Bird Show (AKA BBC Look North and the talk is of "our region.")

Anyway, I thought Cornwall was Charlie's stomping ground?

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 6 Apr 2012, 9:47am

thirdcrank wrote:Counties are so very last year. Watch the Harold Bird Show (AKA BBC Look North and the talk is of "our region.")

Anyway, I thought Cornwall was Charlie's stomping ground?

Surely the "region" to which he refers is the television region covered by BBC North East. Nothing to do with counties.

PS Where is this place "Cornwall". Is it anywhere near where Mick lives? :)

Yorkshire born
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

steady eddy

Postby steady eddy » 6 Apr 2012, 10:45am

Also Yorkshire born - but I think you will find that God created Norfolk specifically for cyclists. Those hills in the Dales are killers.Great for walking but on a bike you die climbing up and risk your life going down.

MarkF

Postby MarkF » 6 Apr 2012, 10:48am

I did this last year but being a manly Yorkshireman, cycled to the start. http://www.cyclethedales.org.uk/ctd-home/ctd-ydcycleway.htm You can stretch it out easily if you wanted, yes, it's hilly, but not too hilly and the views and solitude are worth the effort.

Dean

Postby Dean » 6 Apr 2012, 2:56pm

York-Pocklington-Millington Pastures. Then Beverley, out to the coast (Spurn Head if you like bleak and barren, Bridlington if you like run-down seaside resorts) and back over the Wolds. The Wolds aren't very steep or high and East Yorkshire abounds with loads of quiet lanes. Ignore the distances on the road signs - local scuttlebutt has it that the distances were changed during the Second World War to confuse any invading Germans, and no one got around to changing them back. York has pretty good transport links, so it's easy to get in and out.

The Howardian Hills are quite lovely, too. Plenty of potential rides north around Hovingham and Ampleforth, too. Riding around Castle Howard, it's staggering to think of the sheer wealth and arrogance you need to re-shape the landscape like that. Watch out for the Wall at the north end of the estate, towards the B1257.

But everyone goes to Yorkshire. Go to Teesdale. You could have a great five days around that valley, taking in Yad Moss (long but never steep), the road to Weardale over Bollihope Common, High Force, Low Force and Gibson's Cave, the road over to Cow Green... Even Hamsterley, though the roads around there are a bit steeper. And if you do go over to Weardale, there aren't any easy ways back out.

Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » 6 Apr 2012, 4:47pm

There are loads of excellent day rides to be had from Hawes.
I've stayed at Bainbridge Ings campsite a number of times. It is situated just outside the town but within easy walking distance of the shops and several pubs.
Have a look at a road atlas for the numerous rides, great place to be based.

daveg

Postby daveg » 6 Apr 2012, 4:50pm

I was planning a "local" tour for the summer and was thinking about doing the Trans Pennine Trail and The Way of the Roses as a double coast to coast. It would give a good mix of coast, country (even some bits of urban) together with some flat and some hills. If it was something shorter then I reckon a bit of planning, perhaps using TPT with NCN67 to link along the Leeds & Liverpool canal between Leeds and Skipton might do the trick.
If it wasn't for cars, there wouldn't be the amount of tarmac that there is.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 6 Apr 2012, 5:04pm

Millhouse wrote:There are loads of excellent day rides to be had from Hawes.
I've stayed at Bainbridge Ings campsite a number of times. It is situated just outside the town but within easy walking distance of the shops and several pubs.
Have a look at a road atlas for the numerous rides, great place to be based.

A great area, but I'm not sure that it fits the "not continuously hilly" criterion.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 6 Apr 2012, 5:32pm

It ain't flat, but its bonny.......http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50236

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 6 Apr 2012, 6:15pm

Many thanks for all the pointers, there's a lot to mull over.

No visit would be complete without a visit to Spa Cycles.

Will have to zigzag up and down the Chiltern ridge to get into trim before we go. Streatley hill and Bledow ridge here we come!

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 6 Apr 2012, 7:36pm

If you are one of those people who likes to look around bikes shops (why on earth would anybody enjoy that? :wink: ) Cycle Sense at Tadcaster is also worth a visit.

I suppose bike shops might be a theme for a cycle tour and we've plenty around here. We've even got some real live frame builders.

cycloret

Postby cycloret » 6 Apr 2012, 9:20pm

Al, regarding Spa Cycles, if your going there by bike, I wouldn't recommend approaching or leaving by the A661. I've sometimes approached from the Sainsburys direction and the traffic light controlled junction between the A661 and Hookstone Chase/Drive isn't cycle friendly. There are lanes for left turning traffic and if your going straight forward you can have cars left and to the right of you zooming past. Spa Cycles on Wedderburn Rd is better approached from the NE.

Edit: see a later post, apparently Spa Cycles have moved and are no longer at Wedderburn Rd.
Last edited by cycloret on 6 Apr 2012, 11:29pm, edited 2 times in total.