main roads in North wales

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
crimble

main roads in North wales

Post by crimble »

I am heading fro North Wales for a few midweek days in the next fortnight.

In the mountain areas it seems to be main roads or nothing. which are the A roads to avoid at all costs?

Any comments on:
A roads South out of Caernerfon?
A5 [T] Bangor to Betws?
A470 [T] Blaenau Ffestiniog to Dolgellau?
rower40

Roads in Wales

Post by rower40 »

I rode the A470 from Trawsfynydd to Machynlleth a few times in the 80's. (Year, not temperature!) It seemed particularly well-surfaced and under-used.

South out of Caernarfon, I have recently used the train! The Welsh Highland railway has a wagon on every train for bikes. That gets you to Rhyd-Ddu, which is nearly at the top of the pass, so it's mostly downhill from there.

The A5 is BUSY. On another visit to that quarter, I took a bus from Blaenau Festiniog to Llandudno Junction (I'd just missed the train) and the bus got very snarled in traffic at Betws-y-coed. I've biked the pass of Llanberis, which is very scenic, and again not very busy with motorised traffic.

Hope that helps,
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."
Steve

Post by Steve »

If you can put up with the surfacing there is a good cycle path south from Caernarfon on the old railway which takes you most of the way to Porthmadog - the main road is narrow in places & pretty busy.