Ridiculous statements need debunking (Trans Pennine Trail))

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
adam1

Ridiculous statements need debunking (Trans Pennine Trail))

Post by adam1 »

Me and 4 others shall be cycling the Trans Pennine Trail (Southport to Hornsea) in July. It shall be over 3 1/2 days. Two of our group (c and d) are causing a few problems....

They have cycled the Way of The Roses two years ago and the other two (a and b) think that they are 'experienced' enough to believe what they are saying. I do not. I find their claims to be completely ludicrous. Now a and b are panicking/concerned/alarmed...

Call this a CTC version of the TV series Mythbusters. What truth is in their claims (and yes at least one of these is completely ludicrous,I am not making this up, and they were being serious):

1) At the end of a day cycling (60-80 miles) "you will need to have a bath to soak your aching muscles."
2) You won't be able to camp as "you will be carrying too much weight and it will be impossible."
3) You won't be able to camp as "your backside will be too sore from cycling and you will need a comfy bed" (I am not making this up)
4) Constant re-hydration - "you will need a camel back [a drinks system with a straw] to constantly rehydrate" (I did warn you about the ludicrous)
5) You will need padded cycling shorts (ok there is some truth in this but I won't be using them).

I just laughed at their claims. However as the other two are looking slightly concerned, level of truth/criticism of each of the 5 statements with info on difficulty of the TPT, will be appreciated.

(Background: a and me commute or use our bikes regularly. We have done 20-30 mile rides before. b does occasional 20-30 mile rides. All of us will be using standard hard tail mountain bikes - most likely with semi slicks on.)
horizon

Re: Ridiculous statements need debunking (Trans Pennine Trai

Post by horizon »

At the end of a day cycling (60-80 miles) "you will need to have a bath to soak your aching muscles."

You won't need one but you may like one... :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

You won't be able to camp as "you will be carrying too much weight and it will be impossible."

Personally I believe 60 mpd to be a good rule of thumb for the upper limit of camping. 80 mpd is easily possible of course but you are looking at going as lightweight as possible.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

adam1 wrote:1) At the end of a day cycling (60-80 miles) "you will need to have a bath to soak your aching muscles."

I am older now, and a bath certainly does help, it is also pleasant to scrub up before going to the pub

2) You won't be able to camp as "you will be carrying too much weight and it will be impossible."

Depends on what you carry - I have toured with 4 panniers and a trailer!

3) You won't be able to camp as "your backside will be too sore from cycling and you will need a comfy bed" (I am not making this up)

I ride a recumbent - what is this soreness of which you talk?

4) Constant re-hydration - "you will need a camel back [a drinks system with a straw] to constantly rehydrate" (I did warn you about the ludicrous)

Part of the fun is exploring tea shops, pubs and other providers of fine local fayre. Good hydration and regular food is essential though

5) You will need padded cycling shorts (ok there is some truth in this but I won't be using them).

This is actually good advice
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

adam1 wrote:
1) At the end of a day cycling (60-80 miles) "you will need to have a bath to soak your aching muscles."
Not at all might be nice if you like baths... I don't much prefer to shower than sitting in my own dirty water.

Well how much you carry is up to you but tents and cooking kit can be shared reducing how much you each carry

Hmmm never tried that excuse when the ex wanted us to camp ALL the time and I was ready for a non camp night. You don't sleep lying on your ischial tuberosities... the sit bones that you sit on while cycling

Eh? Why do you carry a water bottle on your bike, main reason camelbaks were developed was after a MTB event where the field had been sprayed with muck shortly before event and competitors were ill after... stuff sprayed up on to their water bottles etc. your water bottle is supplemented with cafes; tea n cake yum yum

yes indeedy you do

)
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

adam1 wrote:
1) At the end of a day cycling (60-80 miles) "you will need to have a bath to soak your aching muscles." I can't remember ever having had a bath while on tour (Though a decent wash, even in a stream is essential)
2) You won't be able to camp as "you will be carrying too much weight and it will be impossible.". It's harder work and slower, though it's only on the hills I've ever really noticed the extra weight
3) You won't be able to camp as "your backside will be too sore from cycling and you will need a comfy bed" (I am not making this up). Never been a problem for me :D
4) Constant re-hydration - "you will need a camel back [a drinks system with a straw] to constantly rehydrate" (I did warn you about the ludicrous). Carbohydrates and fluids are essential, though any container will do
5) You will need padded cycling shorts (ok there is some truth in this but I won't be using them). I used to wear them on the road bike, but have done thousands on a road bike saddle, without padded shorts

I just laughed at their claims. However as the other two are looking slightly concerned, level of truth/criticism of each of the 5 statements with info on difficulty of the TPT, will be appreciated.

(Background: a and me commute or use our bikes regularly. We have done 20-30 mile rides before. b does occasional 20-30 mile rides. All of us will be using standard hard tail mountain bikes - most likely with semi slicks on.)
meic

Post by meic »

Clearly their claims are not true as an absolute fact. I am about to set off on a 300 mile trip, wild camping in slightly over 3 days and lucky if I get two showers on that trip.
My bed will be a thin closed cell mat.

However this isnt normal and I think your companions are somewhat right in spirit.

Also if you are at this level of conflict now, will you be able to restrain from murdering each other during the ride?? :shock:

A couple of years ago we did the TPT from Glossop to Barnsley on route to York.
Setting off from Glossop with no water left in our bottles, we overnighted and crossed the Pennines before finding drinking water. Not clever at all but easily enough done.
I remember dreading doing the "big climb" over the Pennines with nothing to drink and then suddenly finding we were on the other side with out really noticing where we had crossed them. :?

Oh and I didnt use any padding in my clothes either. They tend to give you sores and make you need a bath to recover. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd
700c

Post by 700c »

1. Rubbish
2. Rubbish
3. Rubbish
4. Rubbish
5. You guessed it... Rubbish

1. I have not had a bath for probably 10 years. The last tour I did not shower every day and was perfectly fine.
2. Adds some kilos onto the weight, but makes barely any difference overall
3. Errrr. My saddle is the comfiest thing I've ever sat on. 12 hours sometimes.
4. A camelbak is way OTT. They add a load of weight in the wrong place and make your back really sweaty.
5. See #3

Your two cycling companions are talking b***ocks.
RichardPH

Post by RichardPH »

The subtext that you are maybe missing is that they really don't like camping and would prefer to stay in hotels, the rest is perhaps just noise.

Presume this is off-road... carrying 'loose' pannier weight without suspension on a rough surface is a right pain in the A, knocks seven bells from the equipment if not the riders. I wouldn't carry hotel luggage off-road, never mind camping equipment, for that reason alone.

Give 'c and d' a break and get to the real reason before it becomes the last ride you do together
robgul

Post by robgul »

Be aware that the first day and a half of the TPT from Southport is painfully slooooooow with loads of poor tracks, gates, barriers etc.

.. and as suggested the rest of the comments are rubbish!

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
horizon

Post by horizon »

robgul wrote:Be aware that the first day and a half of the TPT from Southport is painfully slooooooow with loads of poor tracks, gates, barriers etc.

Rob

I don't know the TPT but this had worried me as well - it is just the sheer slowness of a fully loaded bike on a cyclepath that makes that 80 mpd seem very unrealistic. However we may hear from people who have done it loaded in that timescale.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I did the Way of the Roses last June taking 3 days of cycling. I camped every night, had a shower every night, carried two bottles on the bike and used padded shorts. I used two front and two rear panniers totaling about 22kg including panniers. There is very little off road on the WotR and I avoided some of it. The bottom line is that there is some truth in what your mates are saying but mainly preferences and wishful thinking, not fact.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Personally I like padded shorts and thing them a jolly good idea, however given point 2 my guess is that someone has a really uncomfortable saddle! Hydration is a good thing but with a couple of water bottles and regular tea-shop stops (who will fill bottles for you) will mean that the camelback idea is unnecessary.

Cycling 60-80 miles a day if done sensibly does not mean soaking aching muscles is required. Camping carrying 60-80 miles is OK so long as your bikes can carry the load properly, especially if you can share tents, cooking stuff etc and spread the load. Steep hills on a laden bike are hard work but rewarding. Camping can be just as comfy as a hotel if properly kitted out and the things to make it comfy aren't expensive or heavy. A sit mat (http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cf ... 1300200202) is a good thing to carry as well as a good camping mattress (http://www.millets.co.uk/camping/sleepi ... te=4812663 is what I've got).

So there is a little bit of truth in what they say but not a lot.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Nice as a hot bath is, it is not very good for exercised muscles. I am afraid you will need and an ice bath instead. Enjoy!

Reading this post sounds like the script for a TV reality show - lots of opportunity for conflict. Hope you all get on!

One other point - you say you have done 20-30 mile rides and are now planning on doing 3/4 days at 60/80 miles per day over testing terrain. Maybe it is time to worry about your fitness over this time perod rather than your mate's idiosyncratic ideas.

PS Camelback not necessary, expensive, hot back, why bother? Drink as you go from a bottle and also stopping occasionally for a drink and a look around is all part of the fun.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Starting with this level of disagreement before the tour even starts doesn't bode well.

How much experience do any of you have? Are these five statements coming from real experience or guesswork? The comment about padded shorts is the most worrying -- if someone asks what they need to wear, it means they don't have experience.

Personally, I couldn't do 60-80 miles/day of TPT. In my younger days possibly, but certainly not now.