Ridiculous statements need debunking (Trans Pennine Trail))

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
boris

Re: Ridiculous statements need debunking (Trans Pennine Trai

Post by boris »

In days of old , after a rugby match everyone would jump into an enormous bath , usually one per team, but not always. The water looked like mulligatawny soup. After a few songs we declared ourselves clean . Improved our immune systems tremendously. Perhaps this is what your friends are planning, so watch out.
vernon

Post by vernon »

adam1 wrote:1) At the end of a day cycling (60-80 miles) "you will need to have a bath to soak your aching muscles."
2) You won't be able to camp as "you will be carrying too much weight and it will be impossible."
3) You won't be able to camp as "your backside will be too sore from cycling and you will need a comfy bed" (I am not making this up)
4) Constant re-hydration - "you will need a camel back [a drinks system with a straw] to constantly rehydrate" (I did warn you about the ludicrous)
5) You will need padded cycling shorts (ok there is some truth in this but I won't be using them).

The sentiments expressed by your friends are not ridiculous. They make sense to them and may have worked for them on their previous excursion.

1 They might like/need a bath at the end of each day. That's their preference. They might not be happy with showers.
2 They might not be fit enough to want to take on the added burden of carrying camping gear. They might not even have any camping gear.
3 A sore butt is the odd one out.
4 There's nothing wrong with Camelbaks. I used one for five years and on some occasions it was a life saver when I needed more fluid than bottles and shops could supply between stops. If they are happy with Camelbaks thats fine.
5 Padded cycling shorts do add a lot of comfort to riding.

What you really need to do is address your differences in opinion with your riding partners by talking to them and come up with some sort of compromise e.g. some camping and some in B&B.
HebdenBiker

Post by HebdenBiker »

Sounds to me like you want different things out of the trip. Factually incorrect or not, these are the things they want from the trip and you can't dismiss their feelings as "ridiculous". They don't want to carry camping gear. They prefer B and Bs to tents. And why do you care if they want to wear padded shorts?

Sounds like you all need to go out for a pint and either come up with a plan you're all happy with, or else take separate trips.
fbs

Post by fbs »

HebdenBiker wrote:Sounds to me like you want different things out of the trip. Factually incorrect or not, these are the things they want from the trip and you can't dismiss their feelings as "ridiculous". They don't want to carry camping gear. They prefer B and Bs to tents. And why do you care if they want to wear padded shorts?

Sounds like you all need to go out for a pint and either come up with a plan you're all happy with, or else take separate trips.

Excellent advice, and they need to meet my father. He who rough camps and tries to live off the land, has a loaded bike that I find beyond belief, does 60 ~ 80 miles per day, does not have a camelback and does not use padded shorts. Last year he did south Spain to Switzerland, over the Pyrenees in winter (stupid?). He is 75. I think he might show them what is possible.
Paul A

Post by Paul A »

Hmm...

Every one of the points raised probably have some or perhaps no merit with different people.
Like most things in life they're subjective.

There are double 'ard folk who will ride for 100 miles a day perched on the seat post ('cos saddles are for girls) and then lie in a field on a bed of nails at night. Good luck to them, I wouldn't choose to.

I chose to ride the length of France coast to coast alone twice averaging about 55 miles per day, I stayed in nice little one or none star hotels, showered every evening, slept in a bed and ate in a nice restaurant - because I chose to.
If I'd have been expected to accompany the above mentioned 'ard man then I wouldn't have gone - my choice.

Perhaps the OP and his group should consider the idea of riding together but sleeping separately?
Farmhouse B&B for 'Frasier and Niles' and farmers' field for the 'ard men?

Wear padded shorts if you want to. I would chose to.
Use a Camelbak if you want to. I wouldn't bother myself.

Some one once said to me "If you want to fall out with your friends - go on holiday with them".
Unless you agree to differ I predict a bust up before the first wheel revolution...

Paul.

www.francecoast2coast.co.uk