Allez for touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Hudson1984

Allez for touring?

Postby Hudson1984 » 21 May 2012, 2:51pm

Hi all,

i'm wondering about using my specialized allez for a lejog trip. It would be completely unsupported and ideally camping rather than B+B

just wondering if this is plausable really or if I absolutely must get a different bike.

In terms of gear I really don't think I need to take huge amounts other than a tent and some cooking equipement - surely there's a tesco within tens mins of everywhere nowadays :lol:

Ideally I can get away with a seatstay pannier rack, a bar mouted bag and a small rucksack?

I'd prefer to go this route mainly as it's cheaper and i'd like to do the trip this year. Making it really expensive would mean i'd have to plan it for next year and knowing me would mean I don't do it!

I'm just worried about my 15mm tyres and taking the extra weight but surely if I pack light then it should be fine?

anyway any tips would be great - also company would be cool if anyone else is condering a similar trip :)

andrew_s

Re: Allez for touring?

Postby andrew_s » 21 May 2012, 3:12pm

Put on a pannier rack and carry panniers plus handlebar bag (no rucksack).

Looking at the Evan's image of the 2010 Allez, it appears to have rack mounts at the top of the chainstay - M5 (bottle cage) treaded holes, and there should be matching holes just above the rear dropout. If there are no rack mounts, you can still mount a rack using the QR skewer and P-clips - you just have to make sure to get the right model of rack.
Panniers are in general not waterproof (unless you pay for Otrlieb, Vaude etc), so pack things in decent plastic bags.

25mm tyres aren't a problem. You'll be slow off tarmac, but that's all.
Take a proper frame pump, or Topeak Road Morph or similar. You'll want to keep the tyre up to pressure, and mini-pumps aren't up to it.

I'd advise taking enough cooking gear for tea/coffee and cooking an emergency meal (eg pasta & sardines). Eating establishments for breakfast aren't common, and you can get caught out by early closing day or unexpected Sunday closing.
Last edited by andrew_s on 21 May 2012, 3:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 21 May 2012, 3:17pm

Personally I think you have two options (excluding changing the bike).

1. B&B/YHA etc with a large saddlebag (e.g. Carradice Super C, Camper Longflap) or
2. Get a trailer e.g. Carry Freedom.

IMHO your bike is not going to be up to loading up with camping gear, you may have issues with catching your heels on your panniers (short chainstays on road bikes).
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 21 May 2012, 3:31pm

yea that was my thinking really, it's a 2012 which has nothing in the way of rack mounts or even enough room for mudguards - they seem to have "sportied" up the allez range since 2010.

yea i'm not wanting to reck my bike by doing this but thought being at LEJOG really is a series of 100 mile rides it's got me thinking about using my bike - which I have done 100 milers on.

I really don't know much about bike trailers. Are they better for loading i.e. with a road bike? I mean if I went and bought a carry freedom as you suggest is that pretty much problem solved?

i'm guessing I need to be looking at upgrading tyres for this sort of ride? Perhaps just swapping them out for Conti Gatorskins?

Cheers guys this is all really helpful :)

stewartpratt

Postby stewartpratt » 21 May 2012, 4:24pm

Worth a read, might spark a few ideas:

http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.co.uk/

Probably wouldn't go as far as the bit about licking yourself instead of a shower, though.

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 21 May 2012, 4:33pm

:lol: :lol: yea i'm not that flexible anyway!

was looking at other posts on the forum and the extrawheel voyager seems to be perfect - providing it doesn't kill my bike I can't see a problem with using my Allez and sticking that on the back, bungy a tent to the top and ride as normal....although that seems really simple so i've probably missed something lol

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 21 May 2012, 5:13pm

stewartpratt wrote:Worth a read, might spark a few ideas:

http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.co.uk/

Probably wouldn't go as far as the bit about licking yourself instead of a shower, though.

DEFINATELY! inspiration galore there!

has me thinking about seatpost pannier with tent and small pack strapped to it, and a small handlebar bag for the rest....hmm could be fun seeing how low I can go. definately appeals to my more obsessive nature

Swallow

Postby Swallow » 21 May 2012, 7:02pm

My son has used his Allez with a rack and panniers, no problem with heel clearance but it is a very large frame, he's 6'3
'Kernow bys Vyken'

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 21 May 2012, 11:28pm

a well i'm on a 56cm frame which I wouldn't say is really that big but worth looking at I guess although I do like the idea of this ultralight touring, I like hiking so most of the stuff can be used in both which is ideal, thinking of a seatpost pannier which can hold 15lbs, get the right gear and I should be fine then get a handlebar bag for the rest (camera etc)

horizon

Postby horizon » 22 May 2012, 12:10am

I'm not sure the bike is the problem. I think there is a sort of circular relationship between weight, mileage per day and comfort. The bike is right for the 100 mpd you are suggesting (although I and many others wouldn't choose it); you are prepared to cut down the weight - not just because the bike can't take it but because you might not cycle 100 mpd heavily loaded. Now all you need to do is think about your comfort off bike - are you OK with 8 kg (let's say) of luggage. Others have done it - is it for you?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 22 May 2012, 12:33am

definately agree with you there, I think it's going to be about balance, granted my allez isn't the best touring bike but it really is a comfortable riding bike which i'd happily complete a 100 miles a day on. So it's a case of working out the weight I can live with - i've slept in single skin tents in the winter on the beach with no deaths so far so wouldn't be against doing it for 10 days and in the worst case scenario the credit card could save the day at holiday inn :lol: :lol:

i'm not sure I can do it at 8kg but i'd like to give it a good go, I'd rather do it this way and if it doesn't work out I know I need a bike better suited to heavier loads - rather than buying a touring specific bike and finding out later that I actually don't need it.

As to the others have done it point i'd have to say I'm not sure - i'll have to get some bits and do some weekend shakedowns. nothing stopping me doing 300 miles at the weekend camping somewhere and seeing how it goes.

horizon

Postby horizon » 22 May 2012, 8:40am

Hudson1984 wrote:As to the others have done it point i'd have to say I'm not sure - i'll have to get some bits and do some weekend shakedowns. nothing stopping me doing 300 miles at the weekend camping somewhere and seeing how it goes.

Actually you don't need to do 100 mile shakedowns - even camping in the garden on a cold wet night might give you a pretty good indication of what you can do with minimal luggage (and no sneaking indoors for a spare blanket :D ).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 22 May 2012, 8:43am

that would be ideal if I could camp anywhere in my garden :lol: it's all stones and paving slabs unfortunately but I see your point. even doing a short ride up the road and camping for the night will show cracks in gear should there be any

rwrobson

Postby rwrobson » 22 May 2012, 9:20am

I have an Allez sport , and have used it for ytouring .. I use a pannier rack with orltlieb panniers.. i travel light .. tent 2.2 kg sleeping bag 800g ..lightweight clothing, zip off pants etc.. small trianga stove.. panniers, rack and contents of paniers doesnt exceed 10kg.. not had a problem with touring nad used 700x23c tyres.. am doing scottish islands in July with same set up.. you'll be fine

horizon

Postby horizon » 22 May 2012, 9:29am

I think that proves the point. You can even get a good tent (e.g. Jetpacker and others) at 1.5 kg and a lighter sleeping bag if in summer. 10 kg seems a good rule of thumb and something to aim for.