Allez for touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Hudson1984

Re: Allez for touring?

Postby Hudson1984 » 22 May 2012, 10:17am

is that a 2012 allez? if so any tips on a pannier, as I thought you couldn't get one that fits so i've been looking at seatpost ones. would prefer to have two panniers and bungee the tent and sleeping bag to the top so any advice there would be fantastic.

Yeah 10kg does seem to be the benchmark and dropping lower is down to experience and how far you're prepared to lose comfort. I mean for a cheap lightweight tent there is always:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Peak-Minil ... B0017HO182

which the guy in the blog above uses, now I don't presume that this is a perfect tent for the job but if the weather is too bad I can B+B and if not it would appear ideal, yes single skin is a bit of a pain with condensation etc but nothing that bad plus very lightweight

nmnm

Postby nmnm » 22 May 2012, 12:38pm

I have that tent, Hudson. Never slept in it. It's like a toblerone box. You have to reverse in on all fours. Good for edge-of-road make-do nights though. Weighs the same as a terra nova laser comp 1.

If concerned re total weight, consider rider weight and what the max customer weight is for the bike.

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 22 May 2012, 1:19pm

oh I could stand to lose 10kg off my own body so it's not so much weight on the frame that concerns me it's more where to put things and having to haul it all up a hill :lol:

lightweight seems better for what I want to do, rather than getting a touring bike and overloading myself with things I don't need. Plus I really don't want a touring bike, I like my allez and would rather spend the money on a garmin 705 and a 105 groupset than a tourer, so just exploring the possibilities.

I like the idea of the seatpost pannier rack and using bungee cords to keep it all on as this way it's easy enough to take off when i'm doing normal rides.

As to the tent, yeah I wouldn't be expecting much for £30 but if it serves the purpose i'd be annoyed and buying the terra nova for nigh on five times the price

nmnm

Postby nmnm » 22 May 2012, 2:15pm

Hudson1984 wrote:As to the tent, yeah I wouldn't be expecting much for £30 but if it serves the purpose i'd be annoyed and buying the terra nova for nigh on five times the price
Re the tent, there is more than one version with the same name I think, if pictures online are correct. Mine is the same as the famous ultralight blogger (mentioned above) uses, I think. I bought it but then spent £300 more - and 800g extra - for some luxury space. On tour I did occasionally hit situations where the low, fast pitch of the toblerone would be helpful. You could camp in very tight spaces as the floor space is so small. Also, terra nova give 30% off if you trade in an old tent, so the £30 you spend on this tent is a cheapish way to get the trade-in tent for next year, maybe, if it's terrible. It's single skin but your head is 10 cm from the door so I wouldn't worry too much re condensation. Pitching takes 10 seconds, though I did have to set the door pole aside each time I wanted in or out. :D

Bungees: there's a great variance in bungee weight. My advice is to buy some digital kitchen scales - best £10 you can spend for lightweight tour equipment planning!

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 22 May 2012, 2:20pm

yea I noticed he said take a set of scales with me whenever I buy something :lol: have to give that a whirl.

I think i'll buy the "toblerone" and hope for the best, It's only £30 so it's not like i'll lose much if it's not suitable and as you say can always trade in for a terra nova should the need take me.

I'm hoping to do (instead of LEJOG as previously planned) an east to west to east type ride in august. Not going to hammer it out at 180 miles a day, just plod along and camp so hopefully it'll cope - I can do this trip for the cost of train fare for LEJOG so that would be ideal IMO plus 200 miles less which is a good tester for myself and gives scope for increase

martin113

Postby martin113 » 22 May 2012, 6:52pm

I go camping touring on a Specialzed Allez. Mine fits a rear rack but I bought it in 2008 so maybe they have done away with the eyelets now, but as some one pointed out there are other ways to fit a rear rack. I use two Carradice Super C panniers on the rear and you need to proof them with wax to keep the rain out, but they are brilliant if you do that. I use two Super C front panniers using the Carradice limpet system, where you don't need to fit a front rack. I'm not sure they do them any more but you could search, there might be some in stock somewhere, perhaps St John St Cycles. I use 25mm tyres. I did change the gearing slightly to get a bit lower gears (changed the inner chainring and got a cassette with a larger top sprocket) and I also bought new wheels, handbuilt from Spa for the extra weight carrying capacity. However, I would have had to get the new wheels anyway even if I wasn't going to tour, as the others were shot but I bet the bike would have done the tour perfectly well on the old wheels when they were new. Total weight I carry in front and rear panniers, with tent, sleeping stuff, spare clothes etc., enough cooking equipment to cook a full meal and some food for a day or two was 14kg. I'm 70kg. The bike handled well. In fact it handles better with all four bags on than when only using rear panniers. I carry a chunky Topeak Morph mountain bike pump so I can maintain the tyres at 110psi. On my recent tour I did some quite rough tracks, needed to go slowly of course, but the bike took it well and so did my backside and shoulders. I'm very happy with it and will be doing a lot more! For the price it has been an amazing bike. A nice lively ride like a good lightweight road bike without the bags, but versatile enough to be a tourer as well. Go for it.

boris

Postby boris » 22 May 2012, 8:07pm

I think there have been which tent threads before, just a few .
I belong firmly in the anti-single-skin camp. A kilo more gets you a dry, warm night and room to sit up and keep your bags safe dry and where you can get things without going out in the rain and midges. That last thing is the real clincher for me.

single skin is wet inside in wet weather when you have shut everything up. In dry weather you might as well just have a mosquito net . How about using the tent just when you cannot find a hostel or cheap bandb? Then you don't need to carry much at all.

PS I went for a weekend trip in that toblerone thing. It was really wet and horrid.

T other Dave

Postby T other Dave » 22 May 2012, 9:28pm

You'll be allreet on the Allez Martin 113 confirms that, I use a Trek Pilot thats great works well tyre wise I use 700x25 marathon plus @110psi. Tent wise I used a http://www.gelert.com/products/solo_tent for a 10 day French tour it cost £30 yep small but light, dry and cheap although just upped to a coleman Aviorx2. Do it and enjoy.

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 23 May 2012, 10:19am

martin113 wrote:I go camping touring on a Specialzed Allez. Mine fits a rear rack but I bought it in 2008 so maybe they have done away with the eyelets now, but as some one pointed out there are other ways to fit a rear rack. I use two Carradice Super C panniers on the rear and you need to proof them with wax to keep the rain out, but they are brilliant if you do that. I use two Super C front panniers using the Carradice limpet system, where you don't need to fit a front rack. I'm not sure they do them any more but you could search, there might be some in stock somewhere, perhaps St John St Cycles. I use 25mm tyres. I did change the gearing slightly to get a bit lower gears (changed the inner chainring and got a cassette with a larger top sprocket) and I also bought new wheels, handbuilt from Spa for the extra weight carrying capacity. However, I would have had to get the new wheels anyway even if I wasn't going to tour, as the others were shot but I bet the bike would have done the tour perfectly well on the old wheels when they were new. Total weight I carry in front and rear panniers, with tent, sleeping stuff, spare clothes etc., enough cooking equipment to cook a full meal and some food for a day or two was 14kg. I'm 70kg. The bike handled well. In fact it handles better with all four bags on than when only using rear panniers. I carry a chunky Topeak Morph mountain bike pump so I can maintain the tyres at 110psi. On my recent tour I did some quite rough tracks, needed to go slowly of course, but the bike took it well and so did my backside and shoulders. I'm very happy with it and will be doing a lot more! For the price it has been an amazing bike. A nice lively ride like a good lightweight road bike without the bags, but versatile enough to be a tourer as well. Go for it.

Well i'm more than 70kg so have some weight to shed which would be ideal for the bike to then carry more gear :lol: i'm using my own weight as a bit of a max then reducing it by what gear i'd like to carry.

lucky you with the backside statement! my aches like mad on a 35 mile ride, i'm trying to get my seatbone measured and by a more suitable seat the RIVA supplied on the allez is sporty but soo uncomfortable. I'd rather carry an extra 100g and be able to sit down!

will definately look into your suggestions though. I'm not keen on front panniers as they tend to push my steering way off but im sure that's more down to balance rather than a reflection on the actual pannier

that gelert tent looks much more suitable! whilst the toblerone tent looks fun to try i'd much rather get the best compromise rather than the cheapest I can find

rwrobson

Postby rwrobson » 26 May 2012, 10:54am

mine is a 2010 allez sport ... it does take a rack ..

I fitted a Topeak Super Tourist DX Rear Rack
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-super-to ... rear-rack/

and then attached to the seatpost with
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m-wave-seat- ... =23745d349

Hudson1984 wrote:is that a 2012 allez? if so any tips on a pannier, as I thought you couldn't get one that fits so i've been looking at seatpost ones. would prefer to have two panniers and bungee the tent and sleeping bag to the top so any advice there would be fantastic.

Yeah 10kg does seem to be the benchmark and dropping lower is down to experience and how far you're prepared to lose comfort. I mean for a cheap lightweight tent there is always:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Peak-Minil ... B0017HO182

which the guy in the blog above uses, now I don't presume that this is a perfect tent for the job but if the weather is too bad I can B+B and if not it would appear ideal, yes single skin is a bit of a pain with condensation etc but nothing that bad plus very lightweight

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 28 May 2012, 3:13pm

the 2010 has eyelits for a rack the 2012 doesn't so whilst I could carry one using P-clips and the suggested seat clamp I think i'm going to go the Trialer route, it seems more practical for my intended use.

I'll only want the small trialer and this has more than enough capacity at 45kg and the weight displacement on the frame seems more suited.

Plus i've got about 20kg off my own body that could be gotten rid of before the tour so the frame can certainly take the weight i'm intending to take :lol: :lol: