My New Touring Bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dp_Dyl

My New Touring Bike

Post by dp_Dyl »

I've just built myself a Surly Long Haul Trucker from the frame up :D Here it is...
Attachments
Bike02.jpg
Ambler

Re: My New Touring Bike

Post by Ambler »

Looks great.
Can I be cheeky and ask you the total cost?
dp_Dyl

Post by dp_Dyl »

It was around £1400 by the time I paid for extras I didn't budget for like grease, lube, cable outing, tools etc.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

This is more or less what I was looking for last year, but tourers usually have drops and good hybrids high gears with 50-39-30 rings

Still I ended up with a good bike
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

As long as you like it!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ossie

Post by ossie »

Fantastic looking bike, something I am looking at doing when / if the funds become available.
LowPlainsDrifter

Post by LowPlainsDrifter »

Nice. What bars have you put on it? I cant make it out in the pic.
zero population growth.
no to the rat race thanks.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

That's the way dp - you know everything about this bike now - all the places where you had to think about it, all the parts that you may not choose again when they're worn and need replacing, all the satisfaction when things went together just right, all the threads properly greased.............................in the "old days" we even knew each ball-bearing individually and there was real satisfaction in setting up a bottom bracket just right.

You know your bike better than all those ready-builts and if something needs adjusting or tightening up you know better how to do it.

And - when you'd finished - the excitement of finding out just how it rides. It's all a great experience, isn't it?

Good fellow.

Who's your friend peeping up over the back wheel?