Routes in Brittany and the Vendee

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ransos

Routes in Brittany and the Vendee

Post by ransos »

Hi All

We're taking a family holiday this summer - one week in Pont L'Abbe (near Quimper) in Brittany and the second week in Rocheserviere, south of Nantes in the Vendee. Does anyone know of routes suitable for towing a baby trailer? Day trips only and I would prefer towpaths/ forest trails rather than roads.

Thanks in anticipation.
slowpeddler

Re: Routes in Brittany and the Vendee

Post by slowpeddler »

Can recommend the Nantes Brest Canal.

About 3 metres wide tow path, good surface. Loads of places along the route to visit.

Places to picnic along the canal and caters for cyclists.

I used this book but there are loads of local tourist offices with leaflets. http://www.reddogbooks.com/nb.html

I suggest a googling session. Also this canal cycle route has been well discussed in this forum

John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Plus one for the canal - it's a great route for a day-trip. All green, calm and cool - and flat - as far as I recall. Bit isolated in some places, mind.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
chesterpete

Post by chesterpete »

And another - I was riding the NB canal just last week. Its beautiful, comfortable and safe. Perfect for your needs I would say. :D
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Some of it, further north is a bit rough. I love cycling it and my wife hates it.
ransos

Post by ransos »

I'm back...thanks for the tips

There's some nice cycling around Pont L'Abbé - parts of the local GR route are accessible by touring bike, as is the route round the lake at Moulin Neuf, though it was rather muddy after recent heavy rain. Rocheserviere in the Vendee was close to lots of dedicated cycling routes (1000km apparently), though I didn't see anyone else using them!