Travel Insurance

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Travel Insurance

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:My experience with pre-existing medical conditions is that the insurers don't know what they include or exclude. They seem to contract out such checks to 3rd parties who ask various questions and then give you and "authorisation OK" code (and send you a letter). Like most if these things, the online questions don't cover a lot and I ended-up phoning them and they check with their supervisor and ask a load more questions.

That's a good point. Even knowing which of the widespread third party checkers was in use would be very useful information because I know that one of them will simply cough up a hairball and decline me if - at the time of application - I'm taking three meds instead of my usual two. I also know that one of them has no problem with me. (I just wish I'd noted their names - I recognise them when I see them.)

I was intending to apply for EHIC Plus this year because I wasn't intending to leave the EU (unlike last year) but then I see that it excludes sportives and I'd like the option of riding La Savoureuse again, depending what happens this summer.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I'm asking ETA why they are no longer offering this, but on their website they seem to be pointing people to their cycle insurance to cover cycle touring: https://www.eta.co.uk/cycle-travel-insu ... ke-abroad/
I've emailed them and just now asked one of their Chat people - he said that they were looking to improve the product.
Must be a weird time for travel insurance actually, wonder if there's other products being removed?
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
mjr

Post by mjr »

Slowroad wrote:I'm asking ETA why they are no longer offering this, but on their website they seem to be pointing people to their cycle insurance to cover cycle touring: https://www.eta.co.uk/cycle-travel-insu ... ke-abroad/
I've emailed them and just now asked one of their Chat people - he said that they were looking to improve the product.
Must be a weird time for travel insurance actually, wonder if there's other products being removed?

ETA's travel insurance excludes cycle touring from third party cover, so it's not a good option if you don't have enough international TP cover elsewhere, such as with your home insurance. For example, CUK's TP cover excludes the USA and Canada.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello there, I believe it is also now advisable to obtain Travel Insurance for travelling to the Isle of Man, as you may well incur a large bill should medical help be needed!
The same may well apply to Ireland? TTFN MM
With my medical history travelling over to Birkenhead would raise issues :oops: .
CJ

Post by CJ »

Update: Insure & Go no longer provide personal accident or liability cover for cycle touring. Cycling yes, but touring no, so not if you go cycling every day.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Good news: ETA still provide travel insurance, via a German company (Germany is big on cycle-touring by normal people in normal clothes) and here's the result of my chat session today:

Welcome to ETA chat
Chat with Rupert
Customer Care Advisor

Rupert 10:58
Hello, do you have a question about our products or services?

Customer 10:58
Does your travel insurance cover travel by bicycle, i.e. cycle-touring?

Rupert 10:59
yes it's covered under the permitted activities

Customer 11:00
Good. And can I assume that it's fine if I cycle just like most people do in countries where cycling is a normal means of transport, i.e. without wearing special clothes or a helmet.

Rupert 11:09
correct

Customer 11:10
Thanks.
Chris Juden
CJ

Post by CJ »

The reason I've resurrected this old thread is, of course: Covid-19 and the news today that several insurers have excluded travel disruption due to restrictions that may be imposed by this virus. One of those named was Sportscover Direct, with whom I am currently insured (because they don't require helmets for touring), but which runs out before my next tour.

So I have re-insured with ETA, who have re-entered the travel insurance market meanwhile, who neither require helmets nor exclude Covid chaos claims - yet.
Chris Juden
hufty

Post by hufty »

Insure & Go have excluded cycle touring from personal accident and personal liability cover payouts for quite a while, so don't lose that arm when crashing into somebody's fence. They do cover touring as standard though, and don't require you wear a magic plastic hat. They also allow longer duration trips on their annual multi trip insurance, which is why I've tended to use them.

Good tip about the ETA but I imagine that when faced with a large payout for medical repatriation, General Condition Section 4 Reasonable care: "you should follow the recommended safety procedures for the activity..." could be wielded against you, trumping your saved chat, Chris. On the other hand, as the ETA specifically mention helmets and safety equipment for other sporting activities but not for cycle touring, maybe it's okay. Would it be prudent to get a more formal written clarification rather than relying on a note from Rupert's mum?
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Huffy, are you sure InsureandGo have excluded personal accident cover? I know I have no 3rd party liability, but didn't realise I wasn't covered myself in case of an accident.

Re the 3rd party liability I am covered by my Cycle UK membership.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Would someone please advise how I can ' confirm and book ahead' into a particular field/hedge/empty back garden when I'm wild camping? Does anyone know of a policy that covers 'stopping for the night when knackered?'

Happy days,
Attachments
Camping sauvage dans les bois, Maure de Bretagne August 2010..JPG
Camping Sauvage Charge-sur-Loire 2013.JPG
Camping Sauvage  Villesquelin.png
Camping Sauvage  Esnandes 2010.JPG
Camping Sauvage Esnandes 2010.JPG (3.76 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
Camping Saint-Caradec (Sauvage) 2010.jpg
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonhill wrote:Huffy, are you sure InsureandGo have excluded personal accident cover? I know I have no 3rd party liability, but didn't realise I wasn't covered myself in case of an accident.

So what DO they cover you for?? Just sickness/repatriation, theft, and cancellation stuff? Sounds like a very low level of cover. (But I hardly ever get insurance, so what do I know … )
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Might be relevant (or worth checking) but my house insurance includes 3rd party cover on the bike but that (as well as other bike cover) has a shorter validity period in Europe and I've never inquired about outside Europe.

I have always taken out specific travel insurance when touring in Europe so I've never checked what my house policy bike cover includes but I had a feeling it was limited to a month or a couple of weeks i.e. a trip length I've always exceeded and is pretty easy to exceed.

Ian
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

mattheus wrote:
simonhill wrote:Huffy, are you sure InsureandGo have excluded personal accident cover? I know I have no 3rd party liability, but didn't realise I wasn't covered myself in case of an accident.

So what DO they cover you for?? Just sickness/repatriation, theft, and cancellation stuff? Sounds like a very low level of cover. (But I hardly ever get insurance, so what do I know … )

I've used insureandgo for years as they're cheap and obviously cover cycle touring as a permitted activity. I was under the impression that the only exclusion was personal liability whilst riding; i.e. if you career into someone and are taken to court by ambulance chaser types. But if I fell off and was hospitalised, then my medical expenses would be claimable.

As Simon says above though, many have third party (same thing and personal liability?) through BC membership. However I think mine is probably UK only.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Personal accident benefit (not cover!) is a lump sum payout if you lose a limb or die or whatever, not the same thing as emergency medical cover after an accident, which you are covered for.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

CJ wrote:I mentioned a comparison table of insurances I've been compiling. If you're interested it's avaialble to view and download from my Google Drive as an Excel spreadsheet (with links to insurers' websites) and PNG image (for those who can't open Excel).

CJ, these links don't work anymore. 404 - not found.

Have you deleted them?