Travel Insurance

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
LittleGreyCat

Re: Travel Insurance

Post by LittleGreyCat »

One point I haven't seen raised on this resurrected thread is the EHIC card in the event of the dreaded No Deal Brexit.

Now, most of us probably hope that won't happen (at least, not at the end of March 2019) if we are planning to tour in mainland Europe this year, but it does occur to me that at least some of the insurance risk assessment may assume that the policy holder will be entitled to free medical treatment within the EU.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972 takes the tack of more or less "Well, it won't happen." but finishes with dire(ish) warnings.

This makes me wonder if we should be checking with the insurers to see if this will have any potential impact on existing cover - assuming, that is, that there are different premiums for EU and non-EU touring.

Edit: https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/uk/news/auto-motor/insurers-on-no-deal-travel-insurance-will-continue-to-operate-in-the-normal-way-122570.aspx sugggests that it should be fine. Probably worth double checking with individual policies, though.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This is the biggest problem at the moment, as no-one knows and the advice is different.

ABTA is a fairly good guide and their advice is:

European Health Insurance Card and travel insurance

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid.

ABTA has always advised holidaymakers and business travellers to make sure they have appropriate travel insurance, whether they have an EHIC card or not, as there are limitations to EHIC.

When travelling in the EU and beyond, it is important you take out travel insurance and check that it covers your current circumstances, including any medical conditions. If you have an annual policy, make sure you check the Terms and Conditions and contact your insurance provider if you’re not sure.

Advice on travel insurance can be found here.

In October 2018 the Government proposed the The Healthcare (International Arrangements) Bill

It will establish the basis for a new arrangement allowing the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) scheme to continue after 2020, subject to an agreement with the EU. EHIC grants UK nationals access to free healthcare abroad, and pays for 250,000 medical treatments each year.

For the 190,000 expat state pensioners who have chosen to live in the EU and those intending to retire to the EU, it will help by safeguarding reciprocal healthcare if there is no EU deal.

Lord James O’Shaughnessy said:

Whether on holiday, working or retiring abroad, British people want to know they can access the same high quality healthcare that they enjoy in the NHS.

This Bill will allow us to implement new healthcare arrangements with other countries – in the EU and elsewhere – so that UK citizens can travel with confidence.

The ABI has its own Statement
Releasing a comprehensive guidance covering both motor insurance and travel insurance, the ABI has offered an assurance that in the event that the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) system is not replaced, travel insurance will still work as designed.

“Despite ‘no deal’ uncertainty about the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), I want to reassure people that their travel insurance will continue to operate in the normal way when it comes to medical expenses, as emergency medical treatment is a standard feature,” stated ABI director general Huw Evans.

“Customers should always double-check their travel insurance policy meets their full needs.”

So the general picture (as with all Brexit) is confused, but it appears that if you ensure your insurance is valid and fully covers your needs and possible eventualities you are safe enough
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

The other side of the coin is that previously you could "wing it" with no insurance knowing you still had the EHIC as a backstop.

Looks as though you now need health insurance if you go abroad to mainland Europe.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Reading all the stuff about the no EHIC, I would be a bit concerned about the validity of current travel insurance. All the assurances above come from trade bodies, travel bodies, etc. None of them are legally binding. Travel insurance companies are quite rightly fairly tough on sticking to their T&Cs and if your T&Cs say that you must have an EHIC card and use it if appropriate, then you would be breaking the rules.

I have just read my newly issued travel policy and it says "You must" get an EHIC.

This is all part of what I call the it'll all be alright on the night syndrome whereby on everything relating to Brexit we are assured, don't worry it will be OK, everyone will be sensible. Given that there are so many things to be sorted and given that we have very few people to do it, I would worry about many things falling through the cracks.

Although I think it will probably be OK, if it were me, I would get confirmation from my travel insurance company not a trade body, etc.
CJ

Post by CJ »

I mentioned a comparison table of insurances I've been compiling. If you're interested it's avaialble to view and download from my Google Drive as an Excel spreadsheet (with links to insurers' websites) and PNG image (for those who can't open Excel).
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Graham

Post by Graham »

This topic now also saved, as a link, in :-
"Too Good to Lose - non-technical"
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

CJ wrote:I mentioned a comparison table of insurances I've been compiling. If you're interested it's avaialble to view and download from my Google Drive as an Excel spreadsheet (with links to insurers' websites) and PNG image (for those who can't open Excel).

Great job.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Yes, good stuff. I've bookmarked for future reference. Thanks Chris.

One correction, Insureandgo Gold annual is 90 day max trip length (well it is for me). This falls to 31 if 66 or over.

Given that many on this forum seem to be in the 60 plus bracket, the age thresholds are (very annoyingly) important.

Strangely my recently issued Insureandgo policy booklet doesn't mention the Budget or the Black policies, only Silver and Gold, although I can see them referred to on the website.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

CJ wrote:I mentioned a comparison table of insurances I've been compiling. If you're interested it's avaialble to view and download from my Google Drive as an Excel spreadsheet (with links to insurers' websites) and PNG image (for those who can't open Excel).

Have you looked at yellow jersey insurance? Looks good for those doing sportives etc
Graham

Post by Graham »

MrsHJ wrote:Have you looked at yellow jersey insurance? Looks good for those doing sportives etc

CJ doesn't do sportives. CJ does cycling for transport, but definitely not cycling for sport.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Graham wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:Have you looked at yellow jersey insurance? Looks good for those doing sportives etc

CJ doesn't do sportives. CJ does do cycling for transport, but definitely not cycling for sport.

Not sure if we are talking the same thing? It mentions sportives on this page....https://www.yellowjersey.co.uk/cycle-travel-insurance/

Nb their comparison page covers snowcard, CTC, sportscover direct and one I don’t think we’ve looked at which is dogtag. https://www.dogtag.co.uk
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I mentioned a comparison table of insurances I've been compiling. If you're interested it's avaialble to view and download from my Google Drive as an Excel spreadsheet (with links to insurers' websites) and PNG image (for those who can't open Excel).

I've just had a look as I got this from my insurers, ETA:
"ETA Cycle Travel Insurance
Your annual cycle travel policy ends on 15 April 2019.
From 1 December 2018 we will no longer be selling this product which means you are unable to renew it in the usual manner.
You will continue to be covered for all aspects of the policy until your policy end date on the 15 April 2019, after which date you will no longer be covered for ETA cycle travel insurance.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions regarding the above. We will gladly help. "
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
mjr

Post by mjr »

Slowroad wrote:

From 1 December 2018 we will no longer be selling this product which means you are unable to renew it in the usual manner.
You will continue to be covered for all aspects of the policy until your policy end date on the 15 April 2019, after which date you will no longer be covered for ETA cycle travel insurance.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions regarding the above. We will gladly help. "

After not finding anything on their website about this, I've just asked ETA why at https://mobile.twitter.com/mjray/status ... 011520?p=v

The spreadsheet/image would be much more helpful if it showed whether insurers refuse for widespread a pre-existing condition (asthma, diabetes, high chol), exclude them (which can make such insurance unattractive), load or not... but I suspect that it's too much to collect such info, so may be best left to buyer reports.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

CJ wrote:I've added Snowcard to the table I'm compiling. It's a good choice if you're going to extremes and want to be certain beyond any doubt that they're covered. Though I already had annual Cyclecover, I used it myself some years ago, just to be on the safe side (I even took a helmet, and sometimes wore it!) for three weeks cycling to over 5000m on dirt roads in the Himalaya. But for a whole year when you're not intending to go that high and mostly sticking to tarmac, I think it's OTT, perhaps literally. (I was going to write 'overkill' but thought better of it!)

Policies I nearly used had a limit of below 5000m. I had to pay a higher premium for cover to be extended above 5000m altitude. Same company (BMC), just a different level of cover (and more expensive).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
Slowroad wrote:

After not finding anything on their website about this, I've just asked ETA why at https://mobile.twitter.com/mjray/status ... 011520?p=v

The spreadsheet/image would be much more helpful if it showed whether insurers refuse for widespread a pre-existing condition (asthma, diabetes, high chol), exclude them (which can make such insurance unattractive), load or not... but I suspect that it's too much to collect such info, so may be best left to buyer reports.

My experience with pre-existing medical conditions is that the insurers don't know what they include or exclude. They seem to contract out such checks to 3rd parties who ask various questions and then give you and "authorisation OK" code (and send you a letter). Like most if these things, the online questions don't cover a lot and I ended-up phoning them and they check with their supervisor and ask a load more questions.

And I suspect a lot depends on individual circumstances (though I only have experience for myself) e.g. if you are 120 Kg smoker you might your condition in not OK whereas somebody 65 Kg non-smoker might be given the OK (obviously depends on the condition). For my condition(s) they asked a number of detailed related questions. One of my conditions was eventually classified by my GP as "back pain" (which it actually was not but I was happy with their classification) and for that I was asked questions about medication, height, weight, etc.

So my suspicion is that it would be difficult to include such factors in reviews/buyers guides as so much depends on the individual.

Ian