Weight Watching

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ionamd

Weight Watching

Post by ionamd »

I have a standard Saracen Aravis 2006 road bike that I would like to use for cycling/camping trip accross Ireland. My main concern is that I am a portley 15 stone and my equipment will weigh between 2 and 3 stone. The rims are 32 spoke rigida flyer with 700 x 20 road tyres.
Can anyone advise if the 18-19 stone on this bike is within accepted tolerences? Thanks.
georgew

Post by georgew »

You really are pushing it a great deal with your wheels as described. Three stones in baggage is well over the top and to do it on 32 spoke wheels is inviting disaster. Again 700/20 is very narrow for touring and especially with that weight.
If you are confined to using a race bike like the Saracen then how are you going to carry the load? The short chain stays make rear panniers difficult even if it is possible to fit a rack. That leaves a rucksack and with that weight it's not a goer.
A possible solution might be a trailer as this would overcome the above problems excepting those of too high gearing.
montmorency

Post by montmorency »

Not been there for a few years, but when last there, some of the road surfaces, especially in the more remote, attractive areas were not up to much. So as well as other considerations, you have to think about puncture resistance, and your rims.

Regards,
M.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Use a trailer, I've just cycled the Hebrides and I carried all my gear on my Freedom Carry Trailer. It gets all the weight off your bike.
vernon

Re: Weight Watching

Post by vernon »

ionamd wrote:I have a standard Saracen Aravis 2006 road bike that I would like to use for cycling/camping trip accross Ireland. My main concern is that I am a portley 15 stone and my equipment will weigh between 2 and 3 stone. The rims are 32 spoke rigida flyer with 700 x 20 road tyres.
Can anyone advise if the 18-19 stone on this bike is within accepted tolerences? Thanks.

I'd have a look at using wider tyres...

FWIW I have toured on 32 spoke wheels with 2-3 stones of camping gear and weighing 24 stones myself.

I now use 36 spoke wheels with Mavic 319 rims. Done LEJO, JOGLE and half a dozen coast to coast rides with few problems.

I have used 700c x 25 tyres but now use 700c x 28 Panaracer Pasela Tourguard tyres.
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

Vernon is right, definitely go for the wider tyre option.
As a matter of interest, most bikes are only guaranteed for riders upto 16 stone.
A bit worrying for those of us heavier than that !