Roy Plumley's Desert Island Tours

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Geoff.D

Roy Plumley's Desert Island Tours

Post by Geoff.D »

On a tour, or an a long day ride, what luxury item do you allow yourself to take. if any?

I know everybody has their own definition of the line between necessity and luxury, but I mean something that you know isn't absolutely essential for the tour/ride, but which makes it better for you. i-Phone? Blow up pillow? Can of beer? For me it's a daily newspaper (or part of) which I'll buy at some stage of the day.

Thoughts, anyone?
Si

Re: Roy Plumley's Desert Island Tours

Post by Si »

small radio that will pick up R4 and the test match.

money to buy a bag of minstrels to neck before bed.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Kindle Touch for me... Though I turned it into something pretty essential by storing a set of hi res maps and scans of loads of guide books on it all as .pdf files. Oh and it let me carry the four books I was in the process of reading at the time...
theenglishman

Post by theenglishman »

A dog. If you're allowed to take/have one. It'd be trained well to hunt/round up etc and would still be there at the end of the day, curled up at my feet.

I don't know the rules for a luxury item though. Perhaps animate objects aren't allowed?
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

A tiny magnetic Travel Scrabble set and an electronic Scrabble spellchecker about the size of a small pocket calculator - resolves all arguments about 'legal' words!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

A wineglass.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

nirakaro wrote:A wineglass.

fatboy

Post by fatboy »

nirakaro wrote:A wineglass.

Just take a bottle!

My kindle would be top closely followed by a portable radio; last time I tried to use my radio the campsite was so close to a radio transmitter I could only (and I mean only) get radio Norfolk (don't think it had Alan Partridge - I know it's radio Norwich!).
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I take a little tin with pencil, eraser, black pen, a tiny paintbox with watercolours and a postcard size spiral bound watercolour pad. Fits easily in the corner of a bar bag. If I see a nice view, building, river scene or dilapidated building I stop and sketch it. If there's time I ink in and wash with watercolour. A pen and wash is so much nicer than a photo. I usually end up with a little book of 8 pen and washes after each tour. Got the idea from Alwyn Crawshaw who does tutor books and DVD's.

Very relaxing

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Mini binoculars for a spot of birdwatching (the feathered kind of course). Even Northern France has species not found in Britain.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.