Flat bars or Drops?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
moonsafari

Flat bars or Drops?

Post by moonsafari »

i currently sport drops on my Sabbath but am thinking about possibly putting a flat, swept back kind of bar on with some Biokork grips? simply because i never go into the drop posistion, only on some descents, what do you all favor and why? be great to see your bike set up?

cheers
Ron

Re: Flat bars or Drops?

Post by Ron »

I like my butterfly bars for touring, but notice many tourers have varying forms of flat bars, laden tourers with drop bars are a rare sight these days.
Si

Post by Si »

If you can work out the search facility on the forum you'll see that the subject has been covered in depth a couple of times, and as with these things, there was no right or wrong answer - just what works for you.

I couldn't use the hooks on my drops so converted them to bull horns. I then decided I'd prefer V brakes and thumbshifters so when to MTB flats with bar ends. Give a wealth of positions and excellent baking and gear shifting so it does me.
tonythompson

Post by tonythompson »

I still like my drops for touring as spending between 8 and 12 hours a day in the saddle I like to get in a rhythm of three positions as I find this helps with keeping my back from getting stuck in one position. But then I've always toured with drops since - hmmm too far back to remember.
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com
meic

Post by meic »

Ron wrote:I like my butterfly bars for touring, but notice many tourers have varying forms of flat bars, laden tourers with drop bars are a rare sight these days.

I thought that wasnt right until I realised.
If I wish to travel quickly not only will I tour with my drop bars but I will also carry much less gear to keep weight down as well as wind resistance, so no front panniers.

If I am in no rush it is the butterfly bars bike AND more kit (with space to pack it easily), meaning all four panniers.

People with just one bike will have chosen it to suit their main style.
Yma o Hyd
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My mtb has flat straight bars, my roadbike has drops (but the time I spend on the lower drops is minimal), whilst my tourer has butterfly bars. Horses for courses. For a tourer butterflies are best, lots of positions for long days riding, they isolate vibration, and you don't need to spend hours staring at tarmac you can enjoy the countryside without cricking you neck.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
cjs

Post by cjs »

If you never use the dropped position then probably you'll be better off with a straight swept or butterfly style bar - or perhaps for a cheaper option try raising your handlebar height a few inches with a cheap extender and see if that helps...

Personally, I've used both but now prefer drops providing my handlebar height is above my seat height as this gives me a relaxed head up ride and easy use of the dropped position for headwinds or speed.

For me this was achieved with a Surley LHT and a high uncut fork tube - previous bikes including Dawes Galaxy and Speciaized Tri Cross were for me very uncomfortable when on the drops for any length of time - but then I'm 6'4" and the bar was below the seat when set for my leg measurement.... With the Surley I'm now comfortable ... I suppose its all down to bike fit and personal preference but for many I reckon handlebar height is a tadge low compared to seat height and then the drops can become uncomfortable especially as you get older....
Kind Regards
Chris...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I wouldn't consider flat bars for anything over an hours ride and certainly not touring.

Butterfly bars are better, very popular in Europe for 'touring' ie spending a day alongside a river hopping from coffee stop to coffee stop. Certainly better than flat bars but not for anything serious - my backs bad enough as it is!

Drops - no brainer for me. If the bike is set up properly you shouldn't be staring at the tarmac and i hardly used the drops in my racing days so thats nothing new. They offer the most relaxed riding position for long trips in the saddle, easier climbing, more control if you get above 10mph on a downhill and Ergo/Sti's take less effort for more gear changes!

To debunk the less drop bar touring bike theme - we are now selling more than we have done in twenty years, it goes up every year lately. Forget all those scrappy things from Birmingham or Brough, i'm talking modern, lightweight things with multiple braking options, comfortable geometry and, oh yes drop handlebars!

you did ask. :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

My drops are set at saddle height, though I'd only ever pedal in the lower position into strong headwinds. I still find the tops and hoods better than flats for comfort. I doubt I'm anatomically unique, but I find my breathing is slightly restricted on the drops, so defo only into a strong wind.
looe

Post by looe »

al_yrpal wrote:My mtb has flat straight bars, my roadbike has drops (but the time I spend on the lower drops is minimal), whilst my tourer has butterfly bars. Horses for courses. For a tourer butterflies are best, lots of positions for long days riding, they isolate vibration, and you don't need to spend hours staring at tarmac you can enjoy the countryside without cricking you neck.

Al

+++++++++++++++ I agree in full. Butterfly bars are very common in Europe but England. Haven't really took off here.
salsafargo

Post by salsafargo »

i use salsa woodchipper bars,i set the drop part of the bars level with my seat,gives a great comfy posistion,wouldnt go back to straight bars ever
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

I've tried drops 3 times but always come back to flat bars, I prefer them most for of the time. However, on long descents or long time headwinds I like to "get down". The OE bar ends on my Sirrus are very good, I can "lock" my elbow into the 90 degree corner very comfortably and dangle my hands over the front wheel. I have found though that once past maybe 50kph the bike and me get unstable and I am "locked" in position till it is all over. :D

georgew

Post by georgew »

I've tried the lot as well as all sort of Grips but find these give me the comfort and the adaptability I want. I modify mine by shortening the curve at the front which allows me to fit a mirror (mirrycle). The end sections can be removed/rotated for fitting brake levers and gear selectors and achieving your preferred position.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-ahs- ... prod24411/
georgew

Post by georgew »

I've tried the lot as well as all sort of Grips but find these give me the comfort and the adaptability I want. I modify mine by shortening the curve at the front which allows me to fit a mirror (mirrycle). The end sections can be removed/rotated for fitting brake levers and gear selectors and achieving your preferred position.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-ahs- ... prod24411/
531colin

Post by 531colin »

moonsafari wrote:i currently sport drops on my Sabbath but am thinking about possibly putting a flat, swept back kind of bar on with some Biokork grips? simply because i never go into the drop posistion, only on some descents, what do you all favor and why? be great to see your bike set up?

cheers

Sabbath Silk Route is 72 deg head angle, 45mm fork offset from memory....I would find that uncomfortably twitchy with a swept flat bar which will take all the weight off the front wheel.