Cycling in France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
JJF

Re: Cycling in France

Postby JJF » 13 Aug 2012, 9:00pm

I just scraped in to a "8 à 8" supermarket at 12.55 before they closed for lunch!

I arrived in another town early afternoon on Saturday planning to buy food for picnic lunch the following day. A cycle race round the town gave the clue that it was a festival. All the shops were shut and would remain so. You generally find an open boulangerie near the church on Sunday morning.

bretonbikes

Re: Cycling in France

Postby bretonbikes » 14 Aug 2012, 9:13am

nmnm wrote:
bikes4two wrote:http://www.amazon.fr/Guide-officiel-cam ... 062&sr=8-1

This guide can be found in the UK but usually at silly prices - I got this year's from Amazon France in under a week.

I got it at £9.71 incl super saver (free) delivery earlier in the year at amazon uk. At the moment, it's out of stock at UK Amazon and "Temporairement en rupture de stock" :) at French Amazon, though you can still get it from 3rd party sellers at the uk site. Not sure if they get more in or if they move on to the 2013 edition next. I think the 2011 or 2010 will have pretty similar content, myself.

All the info is on their website (and in English) at - http://www.campingfrance.com

The big snag is that the website bizarrely doesn't include the essential maps locating all the campsites as in the printed guide - this means you need to pretty much know where you want to go - pick a town, see if there's a campsite, if not try another - and so on which can be laborious. The book has clear maps with the campsites marked - you then go from there to the details. It's also divided into departments so you can always tear out the pages for your tour area to save weight/space (it's a heavy book!)
35 years of cycletouring, 30 years of running cycling holidays, 5 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...