Sat Nav

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
al_yrpal

Re: Sat Nav

Post by al_yrpal »

Remember, the Google sat nav now has a cycling option, its early days but at least its there. I usually use bikeroutetoaster before I go to give me a rough route. Don't know how good Garmins routing is, if its anything like the Garmin in my car I would ditch it fast.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Barrenfluffit wrote:One of the issues seemed to be that a routing algorithm for cars used very different priorities than for me touring.

So use a cycling specific one. Basecamp (free download from Garmin) will offer routes for 3 different types of cycling ie. Bicycling, Tour Cycling and Mountain Biking.
Attachments
msvelo.jpg
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

al_yrpal wrote:Remember, the Google sat nav now has a cycling option, its early days but at least its there. I usually use bikeroutetoaster before I go to give me a rough route. Don't know how good Garmins routing is, if its anything like the Garmin in my car I would ditch it fast.

Al

I assume that you mean Google Maps? There seem to be improvements by the day. If you notice, Google achieves cycle routeing by changing the map to one with cycle routes on. When you select 'Cycle' the map switches. No option to upload a gpx sadly.

My Garmin has excellent cycle routing, just like Google, I use cycle specific maps.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

hexhome wrote:
Barrenfluffit wrote:One of the issues seemed to be that a routing algorithm for cars used very different priorities than for me touring.

So use a cycling specific one. Basecamp (free download from Garmin) will offer routes for 3 different types of cycling ie. Bicycling, Tour Cycling and Mountain Biking.

Well yes. However I have experienced these problems on a bike specific one too. I suspect its a generic routing program with different settings then marketed as cycling specific (rather than a routing program written explicitly for cycle touring for instance).
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

At the end of the day, an autorouting method will never quite match a personally planned route at meeting our expectations. Certainly using my favoured Velomap/Basecamp combination, I can achieve the type of autorouting you desire, but there will always be occasions when we would want to 'tweak' the route. Of course the beauty of autorouting GPS's is that they will adapt to the tweaks.